It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Chronic Pain Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-13-2010, 01:35 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

Frosty6 HB User
Embeda

Ex, You are always such a wealth of knowledge! I appreciate you so much!

Your response to my post "It's a New Day" does have me a bit concerned. I have researched all over the net and can't seem to find much about it aside from what it is. I am not concerned with what it does if you break it up and such because I would never do that anyway. I did read your another thread you responded to from another member as well.

My pharmacy did not have the medication and said it would be next week before they come in. I am the first patient he has seen on it in his pharmacy. He was very concerned that the doctor also prescribed me breakthrough pain meds of Oxycodone 10/325 2 x daily for breakthrough pain. He said that I should not use it at all. I found another thread on the web where another pharmacist told their patient the same thing. I don't know if I will need because he is changing me from Morphine Sulfate 20 mgs 3 x daily to Embeda 2 x daily at 30 mg. Seems to make sense to me that it might work longer if it were stronger in 2 doses than the 3 doses but one never knows.

Do you know why they would be saying this? The drug information sites say it is safe to but now I'm terrified-if I will even need it. Also of the Naltrexone reducing the affects because the Embeda site says it didn't in MOST patients based on the clinical study. With crazy gastro issues I wonder... I see the doc Tuesday and won't start it prior to then if it comes in but I wanted to know if you or anyone had information regarding that. I feel like a guinea pig now testing something new. We've all seen "great new meds of all types" causing mega problems including death and mega lawsuits.

Thanks again!
Lisa

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-13-2010, 05:38 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User
Re: Embeda Ex I need you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frosty6 View Post
Ex, You are always such a wealth of knowledge! I appreciate you so much!
Thanks for the kind words. I'm here to help. Ask all that you want.

Quote:
Your response to my post "It's a New Day" does have me a bit concerned. I have researched all over the net and can't seem to find much about it aside from what it is. I am not concerned with what it does if you break it up and such because I would never do that anyway. I did read your another thread you responded to from another member as well.

The drug wasn't commercially available until Sept and by October, the FDA had already sent a warning letter to King. I'm sure you can find it. The FDA put King on notice for failure to warn adequately about the risks of the med...Not just the Naltrexone, but other aspects as well. Additionally, the FDA hammered them pretty hard for over aggressive marketing tactics.

Quote:
My pharmacy did not have the medication and said it would be next week before they come in. I am the first patient he has seen on it in his pharmacy. He was very concerned that the doctor also prescribed me breakthrough pain meds of Oxycodone 10/325 2 x daily for breakthrough pain. He said that I should not use it at all. I found another thread on the web where another pharmacist told their patient the same thing. I don't know if I will need because he is changing me from Morphine Sulfate 20 mgs 3 x daily to Embeda 2 x daily at 30 mg. Seems to make sense to me that it might work longer if it were stronger in 2 doses than the 3 doses but one never knows.
I think I saw the same thread you are referring to. If I'm not mistaken, I think the pharmacist warned the patient not to take Embeda with OC, not Oxycodone. Embeda is only different than the other oral morphines (ms contin, Kadian, & Avinza) in that it contains Naltrexone.

It appears as if your new Doc raised your dose a little....Probably because the previous dose of Ms Contin you were on wasn't working that well. Anyone taking Embeda should be able to take their normal doses of BT meds, whatever they may be.

Quote:
Do you know why they would be saying this? The drug information sites say it is safe to but now I'm terrified-if I will even need it. Also of the Naltrexone reducing the affects because the Embeda site says it didn't in MOST patients based on the clinical study. With crazy gastro issues I wonder... I see the doc Tuesday and won't start it prior to then if it comes in but I wanted to know if you or anyone had information regarding that. I feel like a guinea pig now testing something new. We've all seen "great new meds of all types" causing mega problems including death and mega lawsuits.
To be perfectly honest, I don't blame you for being concerned. I wouldn't want to be the guinea pig for any new med...Not just this one. Like you said, the material said "most" people don't have any issues. What is "most"....99%, 95%, 90%, 51%?

For me, I'd want to make sure the med has been out a while and working before I switched to it. Sure, it went through an extensive sample group, but they can often be much different than the every day real world. All sorts of pain meds say one thing in their test data, but we all know differently from every day use. The examples are many:
  • The patch is supposed to be changed every 72 hours, but many in the PM world change every 48.
  • Many of the LA meds are supposed to be taken every 12 hours, but many take them 3 x per day.
  • Most BT meds are to be taken only 4x day, but many take them much more frequently.
  • Avinza is marketed as the first 1 x day LA med, but most take it 2 x day.

If it were me, when I went back on Tuesday, I'd talk to the Doc about your concerns and tell him what the pharmacist said...Not about the Oxy, but about how he doesn't have one person on it. Tell him about your research and the FDA warning letter, and until more is known about the med, you're not very comfortable taking it.

Furthermore, I would basically plea with him about how bad I feel already on a day-to-day basis and how I just couldn't afford to have much more happen. Also, you briefly mention your gastro issues...Obviously, I'm not sure what they are, but that in itself is a big issue. Maybe you could tell him that you didn't tell him about your gastro problems and after you researched everything, you put 2 & 2 together and you apologize for not mentioning it....Sort of like taking the blame for it and give him an "out" so to speak. If you did tell him about it, then depending on what the issue is, it may be a cause for concern.

Best of luck with this. I know you're concerned and rightfully so, but the good news in all of this is that you seem to have a really good Doc and I'm sure he'll work with you on this. You may try talking to your friend if you're comfortable with it and see what she says about approaching him. It's tough for me to say since I don't know the Doc.

Regards,

Ex

Old 02-14-2010, 02:08 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sage48 HB UserSage48 HB User
Re: Embeda

Lisa, I do understand your apprehension regarding the new meds., I agree with Executor that you discuss this with your Dr., see if he has any other patients on the new med. I also am afraid of many meds.....and this can cause us such problems...
Let me know how you make out with the Dr.

Leslie

Closed Thread