It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Chronic Pain Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-22-2010, 12:17 PM   #1
(male)

gw24 HB User
Thorasic epidural

Has anyone had any relief from a thorasic epidural? I had 2 in the past with no luck but I'm at the point where I would try again with a different doc. Also did they put you out for the shot or were you awake?

Old 04-06-2010, 09:34 AM   #2
(female)

FriarJen83 HB User
Re: Thorasic epidural

hey...I have had 5 or 6 thoracic epidurals and no relief from any of them. and I was definitely wide awake. Also had 5 or 6 lumbar epidurals and no relief from them either. I know of a few people that epidurals have helped but mostly they seem to offer no relief and in my case made the pain worse for a long time. what exactly is wrong with your back? hope you are finding some relief... ~Jen

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-10-2010, 02:09 PM   #3
(male)

Myofascial Pain HB UserMyofascial Pain HB User

I've had success with Basal Branch Nerve Blocks, in my upper back C6- T6 which in turn lead to RFA's. Basal Branch Blocks allow the doctor to focus on sensory bundles so they can use a stronger anesthetic. In contrast with a spinal nerve block, where they have to limit the anesthetic since they will be impacting motor as well as sensory nerves and in that region if you deaden a motor nerve related to your autonomic functions like breathing, well you get the idea.

I've also has both the BBNB's and RFA's in my lower back, T7-S1 with less benefit at this point in time but I attribute that more to my recent choice of bicycling as a mode of transportation after 4 years of not cycling. My reasoning is that most of our thigh muscles have their origin in the lower back and cycling really impacts those muscles in a radically different way than say skiing does. I can ski a full day and my legs will tire before my back as long as I avoid moguls, getting air and catching an edge.

So I guess the question now is what type of epidural are we discussing in your case??? Any injection that goes below the dermis is an epidural so it really helps to clarify what kind of procedure we are talking about...

~Myo

Old 05-27-2010, 06:17 PM   #4
(male)

gw24 HB User

I would to like apologize for not posting for quite some time but when I originally ask this question I had no response for quite some time so I figured it was going unanswered.

I had to steroid epidural and got relief for a very short time then back to the constant pain. When I see the doc next I hope he has another procedure he is willing to try.I'm so tired of this pain it's been a long time.

Myo can you explain exactly what the nerve blocks and rfa's are and what the procedure is like. At this point I'm willing to try almost anything.

Thanks

Old 05-28-2010, 04:45 AM   #5
(male)

Myofascial Pain HB UserMyofascial Pain HB User

gw24,

I have a thread here..

http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=741693

that explains all the different injections I've undergone. Including cortisone shots, trigger point injections, medical branch blocks, and radio frequency ablations. There are also spinal epidurals such as used for delivery of babies. In my humble opinion medial branch blocks are better since they can focus on the sensory bundle not having to worry about effecting the motor branches, hence they can use a higher dose of anesthesia. Where as a spinal epidural effect both the sensory and motor nerves.

~Myo

Old 06-02-2010, 09:35 AM   #6
(male)

marbelmo HB User

I just had a series of thorasic esi's 2 weeks ago. Intense pain for 4 days following and then about 6 days of relief. Then out of the blue the pain returned worse than before the shots.
Frustrating.

Closed Thread