It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Chronic Pain Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-12-2010, 08:16 PM   #1
(female)

kimspikedhair2 HB User
Question Propranolol for headaches

Hi can anyone tell me if propranolol helps with headaches??
I am a chronic pain patient, i go to a pain clinic.
Well i have tried soooooo many medications and i fineally found one that helps with my nerve pain.
Almost 3 years ago, i had all of my teeth pulled out, and from that i got 24/7 nerve pain. :-(
what helps with my nerve pain is called, "tramadol".
And yes i have tried all of the medications that they prescribe for nerve pain, plus vicodin didn't even help with my pain.
Well i have been on tramadol for a little over 2 years now (with the manufacture "apotex").
Well a couple of months ago, the fda closed down apotex because of some error in there paperwork (it had nothing to do with the medications).
Apotex tells me that they will be back up and running again once they get everything straightened out, but they couldn't tell me when that would be.
The tramadol from apotex didn't give me any headaches at all, but i have tried tramadol from 3 different manufactures and they all give me severe 24/7 headaches.
My pain doctor told me to find out, what all of the ingredients that are in all of the tramadol, from all of the different manufactures.
Well tramadol from apotex (the one that doesn't give me any headaches at all) that has only 5 ingredients.
The rest of the other manufactures have from 9 to 11 ingredients and they are all the same.
So something in those ingredients is causing me this horrible 24/7 headaches.
I have called up different pharmacies and they all carry tramadol from the manufactures that i have already tried.
I am at my wits end, here i fineally got my pain level (nerve pain) under control and then the darn company has to screw up and get shut down by the fda!!!!
My pain doctor told me to just keep hounding the apotex company to find out when they will distribute again.
I know that if i would stop the tramadol, then my chronic headaches would go away, but then i have my horrible mouth nerve pain, thats why i took tramadol in the first place.
I'm damned if i do, and damned if i don't take these pills.
I have been crying everyday cuz i can't take these headaches anymore.
I can barely get out of bed, it seems the longer that i am on this tramadol, the more my headaches get.
I had to take all of this week off from work, because of the headache pain.
I have even tried the brand name, "ultram" and that has the same ingredients in it, as the generics do. Ugh!!!!! :-(
my primary doctor told me to try "propranolol" for the headaches.
I have contacted the pain clinic to tell them whats going on, but they haven't called me back yet, so hopefully they will have another suggestion on what to do.
My primary doctor told me that the propranolol will take about a week before it starts to work, and that it might not take away all of my headache pain.
I can't wait that long, is there something else out there that works faster??
Sorry so long, but dealing with chronic pain is very frustrating and depressing.
Especially since now i have 2 chronic pain things to deal wtih. :-(
kim

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-12-2010, 08:23 PM   #2
(female)

kimspikedhair2 HB User
Re: Propranolol for headaches

Oh i forgot to mention, that i have tried all of the over the counter medications for headaches, and none of them worked. :-(

Old 03-13-2010, 04:04 AM   #3
(female)

Angelique43 HB User

kimspikedhair2,
Hi, i'm very sorry that you're suffering with headaches. I can't answer your question about the med that you mentioned, hopefully somebody else will come along to help you out on that but i know what bad headaches are like because i suffered with really horrid headaches for over 15 yrs & after going to a handful of Dr.'s i finally gave up on ever finding out what was causing them. Some Dr.'s told me it was caused by TMJ, so i wore a mouth piece at night while i slept & that didn't help, other Dr.'s told me it was stress, high blood pressure, cluster headaches, back problems, & the list goes on & on. Nothing any Dr ever told me to try or do ever helped. I still get them sometimes but for the most part, eversince i started on pain meds about 4 yrs ago, for a totally different set of problems, the headaches have backed off Thank God! But i wanted to share something with you that i did while i suffered with my headaches that just may help you. If your headaches are anything like mine were i know that you will be willing to try just about anything for a little relief & thats why i wanted to respond to your post. I hope that you will try it & that it gives you some temporay relief until you can get your meds straightened out. First, i bought this stuff from my local drug store, but you can get it from even a grocery store, called "HeadOn". It is not pills, it is a roll on stick that you just pop the cap off & as soon as you start to feel a headache coming on you just roll it directly across your forehead. You can use it as many times as needed & it wont hurt you. If you use it as soon as you start to feel your headache coming on it really does work! There are a couple of different kinds also, one is for headache & one is for migraine, etc. You have more than likely seen the annoying commercials for it lol but it did help me. Second, i started researching Aromatherapies & i learned that "Peppermint" works kinda like an aprodisiac (sp?) as it is a great headache reliever! Whenever i would get a really horrid headache i would sniff peppermint, anything that was peppermint scented. Now, i'm not sure where you live but where i live, inside of our mall there is a "Bath & Body Works" store & they sell all of the Aromatherapies. The have oils, perfumes, lotions, shower gels, hand soaps, etc. that are "Peppermint" scented! What i bought was a few candles, which work great! & i bought a few lotions & i bought this roll on stick called "Aromatherapy Remedies" Headache Relief. Its a pulse point therapy & what you do is you just roll it onto your pulse points, including your temples whenever you have a bad headache & it really works! For me, as soon as i started smelling the peppermint my headache started easing up. One more thing that helps me really well, at Walmart they sell these bubble baths, bath salts, Shower gels, & body lotions & they are collections, but you do not have to buy the whole set if you dont want to but i bought the lotion, its a body lotion & its made by Village Naturals & on the bottle it says "Therapy Natural Lotion" "Headache Relief" & it is peppermint scented, very strong peppermint scent. I love it! It smells like a big bottle of candy canes! lol But anyway, whenever i get a bad headache i have my husband rub the lotion on my neck, back, & shoulders & it always takes my headaches away! As soon as i smell it! And it is very very relaxing! It really is good stuff & even if you've got nobody to rub it on for you all you gotta do is pour some into the palms of your hands & start sniffing! In Aromatherapy Peppermint works great for "Mental Fatigue" but this lotion also has Chammomile & Lavender in it. Chamomile helps to relieve muscle tension & Lavender comforts & soothes your spirit for a sense of well being, plus it just smells awesome! lol Only one caution if you use the lotion lol dont touch anything that you dont want to tingle lol & also, it makes you feel cold because its peppermint lol but i love this stuff! I'm sure that if you gave it a try it would help you. Atleast until you can get your meds straightened out. Again, i'm sorry that you're suffering with these headaches but i hope that i have helped you in some small way. I wish you luck & take care. God bless!

Old 03-14-2010, 03:10 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

Boxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB User

If you have the list of ingredients in the tramadol from apostec, and your doc is willing to write a script, you may be able to get a compounding pharmacist to compound it for you. They can basically make anything, just have your doc prescribe it and you should be able to find a compounding pharmacy. They are usually the mom and pop type pharmacies.

Good luck!
Melyssa

Old 03-14-2010, 03:58 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

jonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB User

propanolol is widely used to prevent migraine type headaches - it might be worth a try.

for what its wrth, apotex tramadol is still avaliable here in australia - got a script filled a few days ago (apo-tramadol sr 200mg)...... it might be worth finding out if you can obtain it from australia or canada or somwhere else with your doctors consent and assistance.

Closed Thread