It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Chronic Pain Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-29-2010, 01:27 PM   #1
(male)

blackdog38 HB User
Neck pain and inflammation with bad taste?

Hi, I have a chronic neck pain and inflammation case and one thing I've noted is that when it is flaring up, I tend to have a bad or kind of sour taste that I get at the back of my mouth. Its strange (its not acid reflux as I've gone through every test and even an operation for this), but its almost as if the inflammation is creating this taste, which is most noticable when lying down. Any similar situations out there?

Old 04-07-2010, 12:12 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

nochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB User
Re: Neck pain and inflammation with bad taste?

Hello. I dont' have that and I suffer from chronic neck pain. I would assume it's the medication you are taking. Does it really bother you?. if that's the case check with your doctor.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-07-2010, 04:11 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

BrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB User

Hi Blackdog! It's remarkable to find your post because I thought I was the only one with these symptoms. My neck started bothering me several months ago and has been diagnosed as just some severe arthritis and there may also be some involvement with my c7-t1 disc space. Anyway, when I'm having more than the usual achy pain (like right now) I have this terrible taste in my mouth. It's almost like an acid kind of taste - very nasty - and no matter how many times I brush my teeth or gargle, it is still there. I'm with you in agreeing that these symptoms don't really seem to be related, but it is more than a coincidence I think. Maybe someone else will come along with the same symptoms and shed some light on our joint problem. BrittleBones

Old 04-07-2010, 04:30 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

bullymom HB Userbullymom HB User

It would be interesting to know if the two of you are on any of the same meds. I have not heard of this before. Hope someone comes along that can help.

Bullymom

Old 04-08-2010, 06:26 AM   #5
(male)

blackdog38 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrittleBones View Post
Hi Blackdog! It's remarkable to find your post because I thought I was the only one with these symptoms. My neck started bothering me several months ago and has been diagnosed as just some severe arthritis and there may also be some involvement with my c7-t1 disc space. Anyway, when I'm having more than the usual achy pain (like right now) I have this terrible taste in my mouth. It's almost like an acid kind of taste - very nasty - and no matter how many times I brush my teeth or gargle, it is still there. I'm with you in agreeing that these symptoms don't really seem to be related, but it is more than a coincidence I think. Maybe someone else will come along with the same symptoms and shed some light on our joint problem. BrittleBones

I have changed meds in the past and the taste is still there when it seems like the inflammation is worse. I agree it is acidy. I don't believe it is the meds, to me it seems to be a product of the inflammation. The only other thing I can think of is that it is affecting certain nerve roots (the inflammation) and this could affect taste etc.

Old 04-09-2010, 05:52 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

BrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB User

I have experienced this acid/metal/awful taste despite changes in meds. I mean, it doesn't seem to be effected by medication, but I'm not ruling it out. Your theory, "The only other thing I can think of is that it is affecting certain nerve roots (the inflammation) and this could affect taste etc." is interesting. Guess I'll just have to see if this ends on its own. I'm going to a 6 month dental checkup next week and I thought I'd ask my dentist about the bad taste, etc. Who knows....maybe he'll have an idea if the neck pain and acid taste are connected. BrittleBones

Old 02-13-2011, 06:51 PM   #7
(male)

blackdog38 HB User

Brittlebones,

any update on your problem. I have noticed when my neck pain has lessened, that this taste has also lessened consistently. So i'm pretty sure they are directly connected - I am just surprised that I haven't heard of many others with the same symptoms.

Kevin

Closed Thread