It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Chronic Pain Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-07-2010, 01:32 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sage48 HB UserSage48 HB User
the good and the bad...and need of advice..

hi everyone...this is an update on the ongoing recovery of my SI joint surgery last Dec. I am doing Well...which is absolutely wonderful...leg pain/little toe pain is basically gone..I overdid it a couple of times and thought I'd done me in...but I did recover.. the back does ache...in varying degrees...but I do expect it to...with all the cutting and rods and stuff put in and taken out...it would be unnatural if it didn't hurt at times. I feel that my recovery is basically good news and should be encouraging to all who have SI joint problems and are thinking of surgery...not the usual surgery but the new kind I had in Dec.
ok so that is the good news...now the bad...well maybe not BAD...but it is the kind of thing that you just have to question yourself and wonder what to do...and this is where I need advice---
Besides recovering from my back problems/surgery I also have had fibromyalgia for many many years....the fibro has been fairly good for the past several yrs..because I have been taking pain meds for my back...well now that I am cutting way down... I am experiencing the fibro pain again..it is just creeping up on me...and I am really getting uncomfortable with it. ok...I do not believe that my ortho. Dr. will need to give me any more meds for my back...BUT...do you think it would be ok to see a rhumatologist for my fibro...my family Dr. just thinks fibro is a wastebasket diagnosis...so I can't go to him about this... I do not want to appear to be drug seeking...that is the last thing I am...but I do realize how this could look. So what should I do?? Suffer in silence (don't think I can do that...fibro is pretty awful..) contact the rhumatologist or what? I really would appreciate your help...thanks to all...
Sage

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-07-2010, 03:19 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ozzybug HB Userozzybug HB Userozzybug HB Userozzybug HB User
Re: the good and the bad...and need of advice..

Hello there- I'm glad that your recovery is going well!

As for your question about the fibro- Who diagnosed it and who was treating you for it before? If your rheumy diagnosed & was treating you for it before, then I'd say d*****ately call him.

I hope you continue to have a great recovery & continue to feel better and beter! Take Care!!!

Old 04-07-2010, 03:33 PM   #3
(male)

Myofascial Pain HB UserMyofascial Pain HB User

Do you have tender or trigger points?... (Tenders point to Fibro, Triggers point to Myofascial Pain Syndrome)

Point is these are if you have either of these then they can be tested for even under general anesthesia and your body will react. You would have to have them marked before being anesthetized but once they know where to look your body will react if they are poked with a needle, regardless of your conscious state.

The existence of them pretty much debunks any theories of Fibro being a garbage diagnosis. Unless he can come up with another diagnosis that mirrors the symptoms of Fibro or MFPS. So if you have all the symptoms of Fibro and he can't come up with another diagnosis then what does that say of him as a physician? So now the onus is shifted to him to come up with a diagnosis or a referral to someone who can make the diagnosis correctly. Basically you are making your problem his problem. If he is adamant in the face of hard evidence, then you need to report him to the state and find a new doctor.

~Myo

Old 04-08-2010, 04:40 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sage48 HB UserSage48 HB User

you both have offered me great thoughts....I was diagnosed in 1994 by a neurologist...he said that I probably had FMS for about 15 yrs. or more before diagnosis...was treated by a pain Dr. about 150 miles away..we have moved since then!! When we moved here...I saw a rheumy but stopped going to him when I fell & hurt my back...this is the Dr. that I want to go back and see now... I am at the point where I feel like I am so sore .... not sure if I have the trigger points yet...have had them in the past.. Every day I am feeling more and more sore...the winding up feeling...also have other symptoms returning... my shoulders/arms/knee area/sides of top of legs and lower back are hurting...(my back is hurting from the surgery anyways...but this is a different ache)
As far as my family Dr....well, we are still working on him...he is fairly young...but over the past few years he is coming around...at first he didn't believe my back was as bad as it was...that I would become addicted to my pain meds...which I wasn't and never did become...he realizes that I had major problems now and we even have discussed his attitude about major pain meds...and he knows I am not careless with meds.. I j have mentioned the fibro. only a couple of times to him...but now that it is reawakening...it will be an issue we will have to deal with.
When a person has suffered with major back problems...and been discounted....it hurt....one becomes very close about mentioning the pain...tries to avoid the unkindly statements...you know the ones...it's all in your head...it can't hurt that much...you'll become addicted...etc. It is difficult to bring new subjects to the table...but I have to with this...it just doesn't go away. I have delt with the FMS for years...on my own...but wow...it is really coming back....guess I was bless that the back pain meds. took care of it for this long...
Sage

Old 04-09-2010, 04:04 PM   #5
(male)

Myofascial Pain HB UserMyofascial Pain HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage48 View Post
When a person has suffered with major back problems...and been discounted....it hurt....one becomes very close about mentioning the pain...tries to avoid the unkindly statements...you know the ones...it's all in your head...it can't hurt that much...you'll become addicted...etc. It is difficult to bring new subjects to the table...but I have to with this...it just doesn't go away. I have delt with the FMS for years...on my own...but wow...it is really coming back....guess I was bless that the back pain meds. took care of it for this long...
Sage
Sage,

Please check out my blog about "Family seems to have little understanding" and please provide any feedback that occurs to you while reading the blog. I'm very receptive and would be very appreciative if you'd share your thoughts so I can improve my blogging.

~Myo

Closed Thread