It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Chronic Pain Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2010, 05:37 PM   #1
(female)

candy0821 HB User
Question I need some advice about my car seats (involves chronic back pain).

Hi! I am a 24 year old female and I had my second microdiscectomy on my S1-L5 about 7 weeks ago. I am still having a lot of nerve pain from having two surgeries so close together, but that is another story for another day! I am wondering if anyone has any advice on what I can put on my car seats to help with comfort. I try not to drive too far/too long but sometimes I still hurt when I drive and I know it is my stiff seats in my car. I was wondering if anyone knows of any kind of device or cover that I could buy to put on my seat that would make my drive more comfortable. Thanks in advance for any input!

Old 04-11-2010, 11:43 PM   #2
(male)

Myofascial Pain HB UserMyofascial Pain HB User
Re: I need some advice about my car seats (involves chronic back pain).

I originally found this product through Sky Mall the advertising magazine they have on planes but Dreamproducts makes a "Mesh Lumbar Support" surprisingly enough they list it in their automotive section instead of health & beauty.

I own two currently, though am considering buying more I carry one with me when going to a restaurant that doesn't have booths etc. It has straps to hold it in place and for me its a personal necessity as I can't sit in a straight back chair without it for the time it takes to eat a meal in a restaurant.

So it should fit over any bucket car seat with the straps and you can just sit back against it if you are sitting in the backseat of a car, on an outdoor bench like at a bus stop or a park bench or even on the grass propped up against a tree.

~Myo

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-21-2010, 06:15 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

ibake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB User

You can also get back pillows that are shaped like a dog bone but are full of little beads that shift around. They squish so that when you sit against it it conforms to your back. I got mine at Target or Walmart.

Old 04-21-2010, 09:50 AM   #4
(female)

myback09 HB User

Candy, I can relate .. I agree with the "Mesh Lumbar Support" works wonders but have also found that the seat cushion shaped like a wedge with a section removed where your tail bone is at relives alot of the extra pressure. There are many models out there ranging into the 100's the cheapest I found was at Walmart in the auto section for 10 bucks they are pretty flimsy but found that by unzipping and adding a couple of sections of foam to the outsides I know had created a $50 version.. That combined with the mesh back support can be found in the car, my kitchen table, and I have a spare for other cars. The mesh support I found at the Mall durring xmass at one of those little kiases 19 for one or 2 for 30. My daughter found me the third at a thrift store for $1 bonus! I also use a sheet of tempur pedic memory foam (it was a sample sheet) for chairs that are ok with out the mesh support but just too hard.
Hope my ideas give you some relief.. I found it takes alot of trial and error. Good Luck

Old 05-03-2010, 11:47 AM   #5
Inactive
(female)

MsKatee HB User

Hi there. I use a mesh back support that I got at Walgreens for $5! I also have a few little lumbar pillows that vibrate in the car, house, work, etc. I got those at Big Lots for $5. (I'm eternally cheap!) You don't have to spend a ton of money to make the car more cozy for your back! And before I had all of this stuff, I was using a hand towel, rolled up and taped. Cost me nada!

Good luck!
Heather

Old 05-03-2010, 03:04 PM   #6
(female)

jdsun HB User

I've also had two microdisectomies on my L5-S1 and the only thing that worked for me was buying a new car Seriously, I probably bought about 5 different lumbar/back support cushion thingys and nothing seemed to alleviate the nerve pain down my leg. Even though my pain is quite low now and I am off meds, driving can make it flare up. My new car has automatic seats and I adjust myself about 10x a day....but it works!

Jdsun

Closed Thread