It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Chronic Pain Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2010, 03:13 PM   #1
(female)

ivorylassie HB User
Questions for Surgical Consult

I have a surgical consult this month and since I don't know what the plan is, besides finding that out, what other questions should I ask. I've had surgery for other issues and it never really bothered me, however with this I concerned that I will be worse off than I already am.
Brief history - I am 50 and have been dealing with chronic pain as result of a work related injury for 29 years. Not sure which is worse - the chronic pain or the BS that work comp makes one deal with. Because of WC's delay in authorizing treatment - sometimes going without any for up to 2 years at a time - things have gotten worse to the point that I am now not able to work - had gone from FT to PT to nothing. I have 2 collapsed discs, 3 herniated discs of varying degrees, spinal stenosis from L5-L1, bone spurs compressing on nerves, numbness/pain down leg, along with neck and mid-back pain.
Thanks for any help.

Old 04-20-2010, 03:26 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

zoey1 HB User
Re: Questions for Surgical Consult

Way back when i ended up going for 3 consults since things were so uncertain at the time if that surgery would help or not.
First is the surgeon in agreement this will address the chronic pain issue and return a better quality of life issue?
If you went with not having the surgery would it make a perament difference?
What is the best out come you could hope for? What is the worse outcome you could hope for? Does the consult agree with original surgeons finding, if they do not agree what course of treatment would they recomend?
What is the success rate of the particular surgery ?
If you have someone that can come with you as you get your needed information have them hear what is being said so you can remember this information latter.Bring a note pad write things down.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-20-2010, 08:25 PM   #3
(male)

Myofascial Pain HB UserMyofascial Pain HB User
Re: Questions for Surgical Consult

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoey1 View Post
Way back when i ended up going for 3 consults since things were so uncertain at the time if that surgery would help or not.
First is the surgeon in agreement this will address the chronic pain issue and return a better quality of life issue?
If you went with not having the surgery would it make a perament difference?
What is the best out come you could hope for? What is the worse outcome you could hope for? Does the consult agree with original surgeons finding, if they do not agree what course of treatment would they recomend?
What is the success rate of the particular surgery ?
If you have someone that can come with you as you get your needed information have them hear what is being said so you can remember this information latter.Bring a note pad write things down.
You can also use a mini tape recorder...

Other things I would suggest is finding a neurosurgeon you feel comfortable with... I mentioned somewhere in another thread that not every state has a A rated hospital.. there are probably only a dozen in the US so see if you can get some background on a good neurosurgeon or an A rated hospital. Lots of people here have had experience with neurosurgery and perhaps you can get information from them as to doctors that they have had successful results with their surgeries.

~Myo

Closed Thread