It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Chronic Pain Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-02-2010, 09:52 AM   #1
(female)

raysharma HB User
Foot pain after discectomy operation

Hi.. My mother had discectomy operation in January 2010.. prior to the surgery, she had shooting pain in her right leg and numbness in her right foot and could barely walk and was on complete bed rest. MRI showed disc prolapse at L3-L4 level. after the discectomy operation, the shooting pain in her thigh and back disappeared. but the numbness in her right foot persists, and she even has pain in her right foot as she walks with each step. the pain is quite bad and it isn't showing many signs of improvement either. she even has a limp in her right foot. but our main concern is the pain. she did physiotherapy exercises and is still doing them. but would the pain in her right foot go away? its very annoying as it occurs with each step. also some doctors say nerve regenerates at the rate of 1mm/day so it ll take a year or so. is that true? please help

Old 07-13-2010, 06:59 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User
Re: Foot pain after discectomy operation

do you or can you get your hands on the actual MRI report she had done pre op and post the summary that is located at the very end of the report up here? knowing EXACTLY what that disc was actually impacting within that spinal would give a much clearer overall picture of possibly why she is still having the symptoms? also, just how long had she had that solid level of actual numbness before it was decompressed? that too can matter with direct compression upon any given nerve? it can kind of 'imprint" itself to a certain degree with the pre op types of symptoms it was showing then, only becasue it has been that way foir soo long, or too long?

down in that lumbar area as well as anything beyond c 8 nerve level, there is actually 'pairs' of nerves on each side at each level that are one motor nerve and one sensory nerve. it sounds like her sensory nerve on that side was pretty affected in whatever was impacting it? simply seeing what the interpretting radiologist wrote about THAT specific area would just help alot, but the whole summary is really the best way to read someones situation here.

is she currently being treated for her extreme pain with anything? since she actually has both numbness and pain upon wieght bearing, i don't think her nerve needs to actually "regenerate" but actually "recover" from what was severe compression up in that spinal area? just two totally different things there? have they tried using like an air boot cast on that foot to see if that at least could help with not as much real wieght solidly impacting the floor when she steps down? that could help relieve at least THAT part of things since the air cushion helps alot in absorbing that overall weight upon impact?

as best as you can, could you explain exactly what areas of that foot are actually numb and where that pain is, or is that pain ONLY upon actual stepping on the foot. also just knowing what they are attempting to try and treat this type of actual pain with would help since with the more 'nerve related" types of pain, most narcotics really do not work quite as well as like the anti siezure meds do with calming down really inflammed nerves go? both cymbalta and lyrica are also two really good meds for this type of pain too?

unfortunetly in many cases where there just was a very solid amount of very direct nerve compression from something, it does take some time for the nerve to kind of recover itself and try and 'right" itself too. while some things will get better with time, in some cases, and this too depends upon the level of prolonged compresssion she had ON that nerve too, it wont 'normalize" itself fully either. it all depends on alot of different factors, and time mostly. nerve recovery just DOES take some time to see just 'how' it will recover from compression. but once again, it is NOT actually 'regenerating itself unless it was kind of severed in some way? then it would have to regenerate? right now it is simply trying to recover itself from the severe compression that was upon it and also the trauma of it all too kinda thing?

if you can anawer the questions i asked, it would really help me to try and help you in all the very best ways hon, marcia

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-13-2010, 08:01 AM   #3
(male)

ymelord828 HB User
Re: Foot pain after discectomy operation

Just a reference NOT saying it's the norm. (Sure don't want to be negative) I had a disc herneate at L5-S1 and compress the nerve sleeve and put it off for years until I could no longer walk. Now it's been 3 years since removal of the disc pieces and have had no improvement in function and WAY worse pain to the point I can't walk any longer. Docs say after 3 years the nerves will not get any better and it's about trying to live with the chronic pain. I'm hoping hers will get 100% as some do but the chances are that she will deal with some level of discomfort now.

Closed Thread