It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Chronic Pain Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-02-2010, 07:00 PM   #1
(female)

StaceyLee HB User
tense stiff neck w/ pain

I am having severe neck pain and tenseness, stiffness. Behind the shoulders too. What helps? Been to the chiro 3x this week, 3 more visits next week..it's helped the lower and middle back but not the neck and shoulders. It kills. Been using ice for 20 min intervals for 2 days. I've changed my posture. I don't even know what I did to make it hurt in the first place besides stressed. Ugh. This sucks. A week and a half ago I got a sudden onset of shoulder blade pain, (with chest pains they, the ER, said was indigestion) then led to lower back, that went to my neck and shoulders. No idea why. I'm not sick, no fever. No vomiting. I did have some upset stomach, constipation and I've noticed I've been drinking less fluids, less thirsty. My arms are weak, they get tired easy. I don 't know if it's your basic neck/back pain or if I should call a doc Monday. I do have neuropathy and severe anxiety. Any tips on relief, I'm going on almost 10+ days of this, seems to get better in some places, and get worse in others. Oh and sidenote: the chest pains have decreased greatly. Sorry such a sporadic post, I'm typing it all as I remember my symptoms.

Last edited by StaceyLee; 07-02-2010 at 07:09 PM.

Old 07-03-2010, 08:31 AM   #2
(female)

CS7 HB User
Re: tense stiff neck w/ pain

Unfortunately chiropractors can sometimes worsen this type of pain. Your best bet is to see a doctor and maybe he can prescribe a muscle relaxer. I have been to see chiropractors in the past and have even worked with one, so I am by no means dissing them. I just know that sometimes getting your neck adjusted that often can lead to other issues, possibly nerve impingement. It wont hurt to see a regular doctor, getting pain medication and muscle relaxants will help in that once you arent feeling so 'tense' and in pain the muscle can actually release its spasm.

Good luck to you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-03-2010, 12:05 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

niknak77 HB User

Sounds like muscle spasms to me. I have cervical dystonia (chronic muscle spasms of the neck) and what decribe is pretty much what I feel pain wise, even the chest pains. Try talking to your dr about the possiblity of muscle spasms or you could even try seeing a nuerologist (this falls under their area of expertise).
If it's not a chronic, continuing issue for you though, a muscle relaxent may be all you need to to help. Either way, get to a doctor, not a chiro, to see what the deal is.
Good luck.

Old 07-03-2010, 09:01 PM   #4
(female)

StaceyLee HB User

I already have a neuro but he's booked up for like ever, I was diagnosed with neuropathy 4 months ago and my follow up isn't for 3 more weeks! I wonder if neurapthy can cause this kind of pain too? I might break down an call the doc even though I dislike her very much. Should I continue my last 3 chiro visits? It actualy helped with the lower back issues, not so much the neck and he said it's still really "messed up" for lack of the word he actually used, can' t remember. I had it adjusted twice, once just minimal and once not so minimal last week. It's hard to tell if it's been worse sense. It HAS felt worse, but the pain is spuratic and jumps for area to area, could be a coincidence, it's like when one area feels better, pain in another area gets worse. Does this daily. Anyway, thanks for your feedback!

Old 07-04-2010, 05:53 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

nochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB User

sounds like fibromyaliga also. Did they do MRI? MRI is a must when the neck hurts.

Ever been in a car accident? whiplash etc...

Old 07-04-2010, 06:08 AM   #6
(female)

CS7 HB User

Just my opinion but you may want to hold off on the visits until after you get neck pain settled. Some positions you get in when being adjusted can put pressure on nerves as well. See an md as soon as you can, its no fun being in pain, and when your in pain in one area, it escalates everything else. Its a vicious cycle.
Good luck!
CS

Old 07-04-2010, 12:04 PM   #7
(female)

StaceyLee HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by nochange View Post
sounds like fibromyaliga also. Did they do MRI? MRI is a must when the neck hurts.

Ever been in a car accident? whiplash etc...
Nope, never been in an accident...ever. *knock on wood* No whiplash, injuries etc. It feels a little better today but by night fall it'll starting get worse again prob. If it does get extreme again, def. call my doc, hopefully she'll order an MRI if I need to go in but knowing her it's doubtful, I'll have to go in 5x more before she'll listen. *sigh* I have anxiety/stress so EVERYTHING to her she says is anxiety/stress.

Old 07-04-2010, 11:23 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

nochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB User

If you suffer from pain in the neck there is no way YOU IMAGINE it. YOu really HAVE to do an MRI. Trust me on that one. Find another doctor if she refuses. It's very possible, as I said before, you have slipped disk and this can cause neuropathy, fibromyalgie etc. It's cause disks press on the nerves and leads to further problems as years go by...doctors just don't know that. They don't know that people with neck pain are not imagining it and it's not cause of stress. Luckily my doctor knew it right away - he called it Chronic Pain. He never told me it's caused by stress.

As for this chiropractor. Take it from me, I went to one for 12 sesssions cause 8 months after the accident/whiplash things got worst. I lost my mind. But he made my neck worse. Chiropractors are not for "fixing" necks. Just stay away from them. I know you went for couple of sessions, you MUST put and end to it. no promises promises. "your neck will be fixed". Neck cannot be fixed not even by doctor and not by physical therapy period.

Do you know why chiropractors are not made for fixing necks? it's cause neck have disks, nerves, tendons, ligaments and muscles plus they have NERVE INTERSECTION.
You just dont' want any manituplation over there - and yes as much as things are worst with your neck CHIROPRACTORS WILL MAKE IT WORST period.

Just a warning. Go to your doctor and persist on MRI. If she/he refuses tell her you will look for another doctor. My orthopedic surgeon has told me only MRI can show what's going on. Then at least you will know why you are suffering. Then you can go to the pain clinic or to your primary care doctor and start with vitamins, then move up to benzo's and then when that DOESN'T WORK you go and use oxycontin which is narcotic pain meds. But it's OK. My doctor has told me it's better to take narcotic Pain medictions than to SUFFER. They won't give you oxycontin if you have never done an MRI.

Please let me know how things are. Sory it's been so long. It's cause I feel for you. It's terrible/horrible to suffer from chronic neck pain. I've been like that for 5-6 years already and I've already stopped counting the years.

May I ask how old are you???

Old 07-05-2010, 08:52 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

just wanted to BIG ditto on what no change mentioned up there, you DO need an MRI done at this point, definitely, esp since they also dxed you with neuropathy? just where do they feel you have neuropathy and how was this actually even Dxed? and i would seek out another primary doc if this one is NOT actually simply doing her 'job' for you, like actually listening to the patient and their complaints of 'real" symptoms? there ARE much better more caring types of primarys out there than what you have, seriously. i just cannot see you even getting the best possible care from her since she sees things/you in a very particular way already?

and please STOP the chiro treatments until you have had that MRI done? they really CAN either exascerbate existing problems or even create them where there were none before they started doing what are very basically "blind adjustments' on you, esp without having an MRI done first to even find out what is going on at that very critical spinal cord and nerve root level too.

but DO ask about that MRI since there is defintiely "something" to be even generating what you are even having going on there at all that NEEDS to be identified before it can even begin to be really appropriately 'treated". i really would move onto another primary tho. once any doc "feels" any patient is all about anxiety and stress, or of course "depression" too, trying to get them to even SEE the real symptoms and the actual reality of anything about you just becomes very difficult. its just an opinion they form in their own heads that is VERY hard to change. you simply deserve a much better primary doc than what you are getting now. and you NEED some answers with an MRI being done. Marcia

Old 07-06-2010, 11:52 AM   #10
(female)

StaceyLee HB User

Thank you for your replies. I am feeling better, not 100% but at least I've been able to do things now, like housework, carry my 3 year old w/o much pain & such. I got diagnosed because I had tingling/burning..and after an emg on my legs (only) they (the technition/neuro) said my nerves are slow (whatever that means) and that I had neuropathy. Then they didn't explain anything and said to discuss it at a follow up. My follow up is at the end of July, I was diagnosed over 3 months ago. I asked the neurolagist receptionist for a sooner appointment and they couldn't get any sooner and I asked my doctor for a diff neurolagist and she said I was lucky to even get in there. I'm not fully convinced I have neuropathy, or at least that's not the ONLY thing I got going on as I have tons of "symptoms" and I have no idea why all these things are going on with my body. I'm like one more crappy doctor visit away from switching docs...again. Can't seem to find a good one. Oh to whoever asked, I am 28 years old.

Last edited by StaceyLee; 07-06-2010 at 11:53 AM.

Old 07-07-2010, 08:29 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

can you actually just list for us each and EVERYTHING you feel IS a real symptom here,no matter where it is or what it is? and one other question i have for you since you ARE actually seeing a real neuro? when he tapped the area right under your kneecap, what EXACTLY did that lower leg do as far as reaction to it being stimulated? was it the more normal "bounce out" which is normally rather slow. OR was it a more "pronounced" type of brisker 'shoot out or what would be just more 'sudden" and more noticably apparent lower leg reaction at all? that last question just really IS very important to know,esp given the way your leg velocitys showed there upon that EMG? marcia

Old 07-07-2010, 08:14 PM   #12
Facilitator
(female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User

Disc problems can come on suddenly and with no "cause". I woke up one morning in I think 2005 with a "pinched nerve" than continued to cause zinging pain down my left arm. Long story but had to find a new Primary Care doctor who saw the signs right away and sent me for an MRI.

Now don't let my history scare you as I have some kind of ligament and tendon problem that maxes them lax so joints (including the spine) move around too much.

Anyway, at my first MRI I had some clear disc herniation. I do have a theory. I remember a very hard fall in the mid 90's where I landed on my elbow and had very back neck pain for a week. Then it went away. I think I probably jostled the disc then and then as I aged natural changes occurred which led to the disc finally "giving up". Add to that my lax ligaments and tendons and it was easy to just wake up with the pain.

It's possible somewhere back in time you had some minor injury you don't even recall and over time the disc has moved or changed position. Or, it could end up being no known cause. You don't need a traumatic accident to have disc damage.

Closed Thread