It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Chronic Pain Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-09-2010, 03:22 AM   #1
(female)

lovelife27 HB User
Unhappy worried about starting fentanyl patch

I am 29 years old and was recently in a severe car accident that left me with TWO fractures in my C5 vertebrae and a lot of other pain issues. I was in the hospital for a few weeks and had spinal fusion with rods and screws in my C4, C5 and C6. My shoulder and neck are still really painful so I am on pain meds. My doc had me on Avinza 60mg/daily and 40 Soma 350mg/2 weeks and Perc 5mgs/2 weeks (for at least the past two months). Yesterday he realized my pain wasn't getting better (I must have a very high tolerance to meds cause I felt hardly any relief after a while) so he put me on the 50 mcg Mylan patch. After reading the info I am so afraid of the scary side effects, like stopping breathing, not being able to go for short walks with my neighbors and our dogs (for fear of overheating my body, especially because it has been like 90 out lately) and becoming addicted to them. Could someone please help by giving me some feedback on what to expect... it is after 6am and I haven't gone to sleep yet because I have been stressing so much about it... I'm thinking about having a friend moniter me for the first 24 hours because I'm so freaked out by everything I have read online and in the prescription pamphlet... any help would be greatly appreciated... you guys are all so supportive of one another and I think it is really amazing <3

Old 07-09-2010, 03:32 AM   #2
(female)

lovelife27 HB User
Re: worried about starting fentanyl patch

What I meant was 40 Soma pills 350mg every two weeks and 56 Percocet 5/???mg every two weeks... plus Avinza 60mg every day and this has been going on for at least two months and now I have no relief And I'm worried about the heat because I live in New York where it is not only hot but gets very humid!!

Last edited by lovelife27; 07-09-2010 at 03:35 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-11-2010, 05:03 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

nochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB User

yep hello. Reading your post here I have to say I feel for you. I had a severe whiplash and since then I suffer from chronic neck pain so I know what you're going through.
Pain in the neck is horrible, terrible, frustrating.

O.K, that's what I advice you. Why not trying Oxycontin??? it works O.K for neck pain.
I don't think it has serious side effects. Some people say it can cause hearing loss, but not sure about that. What you should know is that every medication has side effects but it doesn't mean it will HAPPEN to you.

O.K, have you ever tried clonazepam? that works o.k for neck pain. I believe no side effects but you will develop tolerance to it.

There is also neurontin(gabapentin), it helps some for neck pain.

Other than that vitamins helps neck pain: Magnesium+vitamin B6 + calcium + vitamin D, Selenium + vitamin E. When it comes to vitamins it depends the dosage you take, please consult your doctor. But I can really tell you, Those vitamins HELP neck pain.

So I would say, try the vitamins first. Then if that doesn't help try the clonazepam and when that stopps working ask your doctor for Oxycontin. (clonazepam you start with 0.5mg and go up). 0.5mg didn't help me. I need 4mg but I'm trying not to take it if I can help it.

P.S please keep in mind all narcotic pain meds are addictive, ie, you develop tolerance to them, just like the patch. There is nothing to do. I also have high tolerance to benzo's and narcotic and I believe it's cause of high metabolism, so it's not your fault.
Everyone is different.

Your doctor sounds like a good doctor, ask him about what I've told you and go from there.

All the best for you!

Last edited by nochange; 07-11-2010 at 05:05 AM.

Old 07-15-2010, 05:18 PM   #4
(female)

lovelife27 HB User

I am currently on the meds I listed above, as well as, gabapentin 600mg, rozerum (for sleep) and topamax for anxiety.... I decided to put the patch on, had it on me for about 36 hours and I have never felt so much anxiety in my life, I felt like I could not breathe and I felt ABSOLUTELY NO PAIN RELIEF so I spoke to my doctor, (who thank goodness was on-call at 1am) and took it right off. I'm sure it works wonders for some people, but not me!!! I am weaning myself down to a low dose of everything I am on cause I am very young and don't plan on and don't want to be on any medications anymore at all.... it really sucks when all you want is your life back. I was in the ER two nights ago because I had chest pains and shortness of breath and turns out now I have Atelectasis (the lower half of both of my lungs have collapsed and I had to get an MRI today because I also have a frozen shoulder (both also due to the car accident months ago) but I have amazing family, friends and pets. All around a really great life, it is hard to explain to people without sounding 'woe is me' or 'drug taking' when you try to explain how unbearable the pain is. And how it is hard to go day by day without being in agony

Old 07-16-2010, 01:24 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

nochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB User

Hello again. Then try the vitamins I've listed here.
We have what they call: soft tissue damage and you might develop in the future due to this car accident even fibromyalgia. I don't want to scare you, but car accidents cause that.

I'm terribly sory telling you that also, but some meds you will need to take. There is no cure for neck pain and it's almost impossible leading a normal life without taking any meds. Now thanks to the vitamins I dont' have to take so many meds.

Doctors dont' have cure for chronic pain.

Old 07-16-2010, 06:13 PM   #6
(female)

lovelife27 HB User

Unfortunately, I already had fibromyalgia before the accident occured but I'm trying this protein drink that has all of this vitamins and I guess we will see how that works out. I have also been trying to walk a lot the past day or two because a few days ago I was rushed to the emergency room because I was having horrible chest pains and literally could NOT breathe and now I was just diagnosed atlectasis (which basically means the lower portion of both of my lungs collapsed) ...I also injured my shoulder in the car accident and I got an MRI of my left shoulder and found out today I have terrible bursitis and tendonitis in my shoulder. The injuries just don't stop and the pain just gets worse and worse and it seems that no one in my family understands how bad it is they seem to think I could just take tylenol/advil/motrin and the pain would get better but it just doesn't ... it really stinks!

Old 07-18-2010, 02:00 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hello again! No the pain and the injuries wont' stop. for very few people(and that's rare)it goes away after surgery. But when it comes to neck pain...

I have some problems with my doctors telling me people who have been in a car accident can sleep. I'm his first patient who need sleeping pills. I feel so bad hearing that. He seems like a very compassionate doctor who actually wants me to find a job and not go on disability. I won't be able to live on disability, I will starve to death...I wonder why my doctors think I'm a rare case of not being able to sleep cause of pain in the neck. I believe they must be "playing" with me.

Does Roserum helps you sleep at all? I take clonazepam for sleep plus vitamins. Trying my best not to take clonazepam every day cause it's addictive as they say in this board.

Last and not least....are you able to work???

Keep the faith, please don't lose hope.
oh by the way, take neurontin(gabapentin)for fiborymyalgia. even two pills day should help you.

Life is tough without chronic pain but chronic pain makes it harder. Well, we are must be lucky people if we got it.

Did you have a rear end???were you sitting in the back???. WAs it a truck hitting you.

As I said before when vitamins don't help and clonzepam dont' help you need to take(your decision though)Oxycontin. My doctor thinks oxycontin is an ok medication. In the beginning he said NO to it, he said it's addictive....but now he changed his mind. I wonder what made him changed his mind.

Please let me know how you're doing, I would like to you know your'e getting better and suffer LESS.

AND NO, nobody understands what it means to live with chronic pain with all its implications...making you sad...constant pain....some disability...you always have to fight back and be a strong person than you really are. My experience shows the best is NOT to talk about it with people or if your'e not married with any guy you're dated. Honestly, they will dump you. I've been dumped cause of this. I dont' really understand why it's like this with all the publicity about chronic pain, people just don't get it huh...until it hits them. and remember, nobody is immuned to car accidents eventhough cars are not buit better.

I was unfortunate, 1) I let a girl I don't know drive me, it 2)was dark, 3)and the car was old 1983-1984 honda and 4) there was no seat built in the back(I was sitting in the back another one of my mistake)......what happened is that she bumped her car to the house and I had a severe whiplash...that what it took. It happened about 5-6 years ago(stopped counting the years)I blamed myself for being irresponsible but I've never thought I would be in a car accident. So in another word, nobody is immuned to chronic pain not even doctors.

8-9 months after the so called accident between a car and a house I still suffer and went for a chiropractor "treatment" which was another MISTAKE I've done unknowingly he made things worst. So anybody reading this and have neck problems - NEVER EVER GO TO CHIROPRACTOR.

I now have(probably cause the accident)two bulging disks in my neck.

I"ve just now realized you have tendonitis...for this take selenium + vitamin E - it has to be in the right dose, not from a drink....plus magnesium + vitamin D. Magnesium helps the nervous system and muscle and relax them.

I hope to hear from you again, I hear you crying...

P.S ibuprofen doesn't do much for chronic neck pain + shoulder pain.

Last edited by nochange; 07-18-2010 at 02:16 AM.

Old 08-06-2010, 12:13 AM   #8
(female)

newto HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovelife27 View Post
What I meant was 40 Soma pills 350mg every two weeks and 56 Percocet 5/???mg every two weeks... plus Avinza 60mg every day and this has been going on for at least two months and now I have no relief And I'm worried about the heat because I live in New York where it is not only hot but gets very humid!!
I have just started the fentanyl patch today - I am 29 also. I have had 3 back surgeries (one spinal fusion) - For the first 6 hours I didn't feel any side effects but I didn't have hardly any pain. Now I am at hour 14 and I have fears. I am not sure if it is anxiety or what it is - I contemplated taking it off so I could calm down and go to sleep but I have had such terrible pain for so many years and am wondering if this is just a temporary symptom until my body becomes use to it? Before I was taking 30 mg vicodin/day my patch is 25mcg the brand is Sandoz. I literally can't sleep and my heartbeat isn't necessarily irregular but is fairly fast for a resting state - any quick advise from anyone would be great. Has anyone experienced this and what did you do?

Old 08-08-2010, 04:13 PM   #9
(male)

painbegone HB User

Hi there, I'm very sorry for your condition,and situation. When it comes to long acting strong opiods what works for some does'nt work as well for others. You are fairly young in age, and please be cautious with any opiods. Some Dr.s recomend different long acting for different types of pain. On the other hand some Dr.s just go through the process of alimination to what ever works. Either way always ask questions, and I recomend you keep a medication pain log note book, It helps you ,and your doc remember what you have tried, and also quickly helps you go to important information that might normally takes alot of time to remember off the top of your head. Also it works great because we only have about 10 miniutes to ask our important quetions. Also aways keep all controlled medication logged into your Emergency contacts in your cell phone in case of an accident. As far a the Fentanyl patch, it has been the only thing that works for 48 hours, but I have problems with them on extreame hot days, because they do get loose, and fall off if you sweat perfusely. Also they give me one side effect that I don't like, and that is they cause anxiety, and irritabilty, but I take a mild script of benzos to counter act that. Other than that they are GREAT for my ARTHRITIS, and SEVER DEEP BONE PAIN. Please be forwarned. If you have a low tolerance, and are small in body weight I would be EXTREAMELY CAUTIOUS with mixing them with Xanax or Klonipin. for some reason Benzodiazapenes don't mix well with Fentanyl unless your DR, understands 100% about your total health situation, and psycological make up. So he needs to know everything, and every medication your taking. Please don't let this scare you. Just keep you and your Dr. up to date on your total health situation. I unfortunately can't take Oxycontin they don't last 12 hours, and my insurance gives me the run around about getting them 3 times a day. On the other hand they don't have a problem with me getting the patches every 48 hours."Go figure'?. Always remember no medications are 100% in all areas. Its alot of trial, and error and then dependance is a real reality factor. I really wish you the very best in you decision. Just stay in close contact with your Doctor ,and you should be fine. Best wishes to you. I honestly hope your pain heals, and goes away so you don't have to be on the strong opiods for life as I. Sincerely Painbegone

Closed Thread