It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Chronic Pain Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-05-2010, 04:08 AM   #1
(female)

green01 HB User
oxycontin vs oxycodone

Hi, New to this board. Read quite a few post and everyone seems to be so helpful. I have chronic back pain. I am on Oxycontin 20 mg, 3 times/day with 5 mg oxycodone for bt pain. It makes me so tired, but it does help with my pain. Recently had a problem with prescription insurance and couldn't get the Oxycontin for 8 days. I was able to get the oxycodone for bt pain. So, I took 10 mg every 6 hours(40 mg/day total), as opposed to 60 mg Oxycotin and 10 mg oxycodone/day with my prescription. For those 8 days I was not tired and I had more energy and my pain was controlled. I would be much happier if I could have only the oxycodone for my pain control. My doctor prefers the long lasting pain meds over the short acting. I am tired(sorry about the pun!) of dealing with the insurance company and pharmacy because of perceptions with Oxycontin use-even though prescribed. Seems that taking less meds is a good thing! Any similar situations? Thank you

Old 08-05-2010, 06:56 PM   #2
(male)

alanlee HB User
Re: oxycontin vs oxycodone

I am those as well. I can tell you from my perspective only and I am not a doctor so please dont take this as medical advice. Having said that, The reason they prefer the long acting is because of the toxicity. When you are using an immediate release formula your body gets used to the dosage quicker and you end up requiring larger and larger doses to achieve the same level of pain control. On the long lasting formula they can give you higher doses that break down slower in the body so as to keep equal levels in your bloodstream instead of waxing and waning levels determinant on how long between immediate release doses you wait. I hope this helps shed some light on the subject for you and I hope you feel better

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread