It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Chronic Pain Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-07-2010, 05:20 PM   #1
(female)

Ouchpain HB User
Unhappy Frozen Shoulder Help

Hello,

My Mother was finally diagnosed (after many misdiagnoses!) with Frozen Shoulder (adhesive capsulitis). She is in her 5th month of having this, and has been going through about a month of acupuncture and physiotherapy.

The NSAID's have done nothing to help the pain. It's in her right arm and she can't reach behind her back, or raise it very high in front of her. Also, the pain is not constant, but it is as "shooting pains" that she says are excrutiating.

She is getting 3-4 hours of sleep a night because of the pain and can't take sleeping meds (allergic). She sleeps with a small pillow under her arm to keep it supported.

Any suggestions on dealing with the pain without using drugs/cortisone injection/surgery? How much longer is this expected to last?
Thank you for your support!

Old 08-23-2010, 05:18 PM   #2
(female)

hunterem HB User
Re: Frozen Shoulder Help

Hello,

Well I clearly undrestand what your mom is going thru. I have had a frozen shoulder since Sept. 09.. It is very painful i can relate. My mri showed a full thickness tear of the rotator cuff. I received 3 cortizone shots in total and none of them worked. I did physio for about 4 months and decided to have the surgery. I had my shoulder done this past june and if i could turn back the clock i would of rather have kept the frozen shoulder, as i still have it and developed rsd, reflex symphathetic dystrophy. I had more use in my arm before the surgery then now. If you google rsd you will understand what has happened to me. It is very rare to get so i am told. Tell your mom to really think it over about surgery and do her homework. I thought i did my homework and like i said i would never do it again. Good luck to her!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-23-2010, 11:25 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

amyd HB Useramyd HB Useramyd HB Useramyd HB Useramyd HB Useramyd HB User

I also had frozen shoulder syndrome that seemed to last forever. I went to so many physical therapy sessions that did absoutely NO GOOD. Total waste of time. So I had my first cortizone injection - which hurt like Hel! and still no relief. Gave it some more time, all the while my left arm muscles were starting to shrink away. Couldn't stand it any longer. Would have done anything and I mean anything to relieve the nearly constant pain. So I had another injection, by a different doctor.
OMG, as soon as he pulled that "horse" needle out, I could actually feel the pain diminish. By the time I put my shirt back on and walked out of the office, I was yelling "YES"!!! The pain was totally gone in a matter of minutes. I love you Dr. _ _ _ _ _ for giving me back my arm/shoulder and sanity.

Old 08-24-2010, 06:55 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

seriousperson HB Userseriousperson HB User

I was hoping to read some helpful hints here, but apparently not. I've had it for over a year. It is much better now than it was at its worst.
Not all doctors who give cortisone shots in shoulders are created equal. The first doctor's shot did nothing. The second doctor, who was recommended by a coworker who actually recovered from frozen shoulder, gave the shot in a different (more painful) place, which gave some relief for a few nights.
Physical therapy helped regain most of motion and function, but not the pain. Ice packs are helpful.

The second doctor also offered another option that I have not yet tried: The patient is given total anesthesia (I think) and the shoulder is "manipulated" to "break up scar tissue." I was wondering if anyone has experienced this. I suspect he is dumbing down the terminology with "scar tissue" because I never had an injury, so why would I have scar tissue? But I really don't know.

Both doctors said that the full thickness tear is not worth repairing, that autopsies show most (or did they say "many"?) people over a certain age have them.

Old 08-27-2010, 05:45 AM   #5
(female)

luvlifeagain HB User

Ouchpain, Sorry to hear about your mothers pain. I have a frozen shoulder from RSD and i find hot water therapy(YMCA) has helped loosen my shoulder and helped with pain. My sister has a frozen shoulder from the job she does and has found a PT that does manual traction that has really given her relief. Hope this helps. Luvlifeagain

Closed Thread