It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Chronic Pain Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-08-2010, 01:39 PM   #1
(male)

painbegone HB User
Exclamation Pain meds not working due to summer heat,and possible tolorance

I went to my pm doctor, and told him I was having problems with my 75 patch not lasting the entire 48 hours any more. Possibly due to perfuse sweating in the extreame heat. I also take instint release oxycodone due to all my hip revisions, pelvic reconstruction, 2 ankle surgeries, and 7 months of chemo due to liver sist. I cannot take Tylenol due to liver ensymes of the past, and cannot take antinflamatory meds. due to high plasma levels of the heart, beacause of the chemo. He wanted to change my patch to something else?, but I told him they work better than any long acting pain meds I have ever taken. So I told him I would think about it for 1 more month. I am so scared to change the type of Long Acting Meds. I take because the patch works very well, in Fall, Winter, and Spring. The only bad side is that the patches are VERY DIFFICULT if your an out doors person in the Summer. He knows this would potentially be a problem, and when I started to give "hints" a coulple months in a row in the end of June, and the month of July I suspected some changes might have to be made. "I just wish we would have made plans for this problem back in the Spring before it got HOT out side", but I just didn't think to ask him at that time.(They are always so busy, and I forgot to write down that specific question.) I have been on the 75 patch now for 10 months, and the instint release is VERY important just to start my day, also they fill in great when the patch does'nt. I realize my Dr. will make the ultimate decision. ( So here is my question.) In your "Opinion" What could I concider?. I am terrified to change from the patch because it really works VERY WELL 75 % OF THE YEAR, and for the last 10 months I have done relatively well. That in its self is a God sent, But next month I will have to make a decision untill Fall weather comes. I guess I would like to know what would you do if this were your situation? , because I will have to do something because my pain is overwheming my every day life because the patches cannot work the way they are designed to when a person sweats,the way I do. Once I make a change I will have to live with that decision for atleast for a month or two before he will make another change. Sincerely painbegone

Last edited by painbegone; 08-09-2010 at 10:33 AM. Reason: Trying to make my Thread easier to understand so someone can give me an opinion

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-11-2010, 05:17 AM   #2
(male)

painbegone HB User
Re: Pain meds not working due to summer heat,and possible tolorance

I want to thank anyone that took the time to read my question. I do not have many friends,and I just thought that someone out there might have had a similar problem with the patch as I am, and had an opinion to my question, but I don't want to put anyone in a precarious spot on here. I try my best to stay inside the rules on here, but I just get so bored. Also I see my Doctors so much on a routine bases anyway, Sometimes its nice to talk to the average person that might have some thoughts. As always I wish everyone the best of health. Sincerely Painbegone

Old 08-11-2010, 11:22 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

janiee08 HB Userjaniee08 HB Userjaniee08 HB Userjaniee08 HB Userjaniee08 HB Userjaniee08 HB Userjaniee08 HB User

Well, I don't have the answer to your question. Sorry. I'm sure someone will come along and answer your question soon. Actually, I have the opposite problem. I'm on Oxycontin and am doing very well on it. Now I changed insurances and have to switch to the Fent. Patch next week. New insurance doesn't pay for Oxy. So, I'm a little fearful here about getting off of something that worked so well and going on to something new and unknown to me. Good to know that the Fent. Patch did work well for you at least most of the year. Ya know, I just realized that this is the Chronic Pain Board and not the Pain Management Board. You might get more responses on the Pain Management Board. Good Luck!!....Janiee08

Old 08-12-2010, 07:22 PM   #4
(male)

painbegone HB User

Thank you for taking the time to reply to me. It means alot,and I will keep in mind your sugestion. Best wishes to you. Sincerely, Painbegone

Old 08-13-2010, 04:52 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

Boxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB User

I am on the 75 patch and my thoughts are if it is working for you except for the summer, then I would probably do whatever I needed to to stay on the patch. For me it has given me a life back. I can't do what I used to do but I am doing more now than when I was in horrible pain. At first I had issues with the patch staying on and I used the patch covers. Both Bioclusive and Tegraderm worked fine. I also started to get sores from the glue on the patch and got an allergy spray which cleared it up. I live in Florida so I have the heat most of the year.

I'd say do what you have to to stay on the patch. PM is a delicate balance of getting the right meds and once you find it I wouldn't mess with it for anything. I have been on the same meds for over 6 years with only 1 increase each for LA and for SA.

That's just my thoughts!

Old 09-16-2010, 12:17 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

hessie28 HB Userhessie28 HB User

Hi Painbegone. I've been away from this site for a while so just read your post today. I would think it was tolerence and not the heat that is not making the patch work. I had the same problem with the 50mg Fentanyl Patch. My regular Dr. increased it to 75mg because the pain Dr. was on vacation and I had to go to her to get refills. The increase did not help at all. So my Dr. put me back to the 50mg. He said if the 75mg did not work that no use being on it. Instead he added another pain med. It's called Embeda. It's a scary Morphine based med. I also take Percocet every 4hrs for break through pain. The Embeda seems to be helping. So if it still helps eventually my patch will get decreased and hopefully taken away all together. I get nervous being on three pain meds but nothing else I can do.

Do you have a problem with the patch staying on? I had to put a bandage over mine to keep it on. Mine gets changed every 72hrs. I feel like it stops working by the 3rd day.

I know excessive sweating and exposure to heat can cause the patch to release too much meds at once which puts you in danger of an overdose. So I guess that would mean it runs out faster. Not sure.

Hope you feel better and have resolved your patch problem.

I have to remember to get back here more often.

Old 09-16-2010, 11:05 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

janiee08 HB Userjaniee08 HB Userjaniee08 HB Userjaniee08 HB Userjaniee08 HB Userjaniee08 HB Userjaniee08 HB User

Painbegone, Maybe you could be on oral meds in the summer, and the patch the rest of the year? Of course it's all up to your doctor, you, and your health insurance. Hope everything turned out well for you!! Let us know what happened....janiee

Old 10-02-2010, 10:45 AM   #8
(female)

tinabean34 HB User

Just a thought for you I have a horrible tolerance for heat in the summer, can't stay out in it. Used to be my favorite time of year. Could be the pain meds plain and simple. I am on Oxy and Perc which now I am told are not good to be together beause your tolerance builds faster.
Anyway, just a theory try something else maybe in the summer but if you are still miserable it just might be the pain meds at work and they don't like summer. Hope this helps.

Closed Thread