It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Chronic Pain Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-09-2010, 11:52 AM   #1
(female)

patsy51 HB User
left arm pain

I have had pain in my left arm, started in shoulder area, since months ago & it's now through to my hand at times. when i move it quickly or reach & stretch without thinking, it feels like it's become disslocated. it wakes me in the night if i turn on it.

Old 08-12-2010, 06:04 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB User
Re: left arm pain

I'll give it a shot here, although I'm no doctor but sure have been a patient for longer then I care to admitt.

I had both shoulder & cervical problems at the same time & surgery for both. The cervical can cause shoulder, arm & hand pain & you do not have to have neck pain.

Both can cause a huge amount of pain. I remember at one time describing my pain just as you have. I had tendonitis, bursitis & arthritis along with C 5-6 herniation in my neck. Cervical problems can cause pain, tingling, numbness, burning in the arm, fingers & hand along with pain in other areas such as the shoulder, neck, upper back, & so on....
Its something I would advise you not let go if it continues. The pain can get pretty bad.

You might want to journal when it started, what triggers the pain, if anything gives you relief & so on...That can help a doctor determine where it may be coming from. Pay attention & see if moving your neck makes a difference. With some it does with others it don't.
For example lifting causes my pain to go up big time & sometimes it does not occur right away but it does occur. Ice usually helps me more so then heat. Some use ice, some heat, some both.
There may be other causes not sure.
Hope this helps you out some & good luck. Sammy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-12-2010, 12:54 PM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User

It could be generated from your cervical spine. You should see your doctor and get evaluated for three possibilities: shoulder problems or cervical spine issues or both. An MRI of the cervical spine is a good place to start.

Old 08-13-2010, 07:50 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

got some great advice up there from two very knowledgable people at that. the one thing i am thinking here since this very easily could be stemming from a rotator/shoulder problem which is much much more common than you might think, OR at least a c spine problem too(thos c spine would tend to show MORE direct hand/finger symptoms than rotator would)? i would actually see if you can get BOTH that c spine AND the rotatr/shoulder MRIed at the very same visit? all your doc has to do is write the actual referral order that way. this way you have either cleared or found the issue with one MRI visit instead of having to possibly go back again for another if one area is NOT the source? just a thought that will kill two birds with one MRI session.

i too have had/have c spine and rotator crap and alot of the symptoms of both can very easily tend to mimic each other since all those c spine nerves just DO run thru the shoulder level before they make their way on down to the hand even? so simply getting both areas checked out would save time and hassle and at least help your doc point you into the right direction as to who to see next for the eval. what you are describing tho, really sounds more rotator than c spine UNLESS the c spine involvement IS also impacting your fine motor functions within your hand? which IS always a big possible depending upon just what is even impacting the nerve roots up there? but i would really try getting both areas MRIed at the same time tho, for alot of different reasons. the "problem' itself just could be within either area given innervation up there and the way even c spine and rotator can impact muscle/tendon alone? good luck with this and do please keep us all posted. marcia

Old 08-13-2010, 08:20 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

tiggertoo2174 HB Usertiggertoo2174 HB Usertiggertoo2174 HB Usertiggertoo2174 HB User

Patsy,

I too have had both rotator cuff and cspine problems. The shoulder pain after sleeping on that side or even turning on that side is a classic symptom of a bone spur in the shoulder and possible rotator cuff damage as a result. I'd ask if they could MRI the cspine and shoulder at the same time.

Good luck

Tigg

Closed Thread