It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Chronic Pain Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-10-2010, 04:02 AM   #1
(male)

shamo3 HB User
Meds help for a 22yr old pain sufferer

Hi I was hoping people could give me some advice for what pain medications to consider. I've had a chronic tension headache for 9 months and it just persists and persists. Nurefon (ibifuren) works best for it and pretty much takes all the pain away. But i was taking it every day and at least twice a day so I got rebounds. I'm lucky because I'm still able to play footy, do weights, run around whenever I want but it doesn't change the fact that I'm always in moderate pain. If I take things like Tramadol, methadone etc can I still do normal things like play sport and go out and wknds and drink alcohol? And can I take these long term?

Old 08-10-2010, 04:51 AM   #2
(female)

pifcat2006 HB User
Re: Meds help for a 22yr old pain sufferer

Hi, I was prescrived Tramadol a few months ago for Chronic Pain. The first month it worked fine and then I started noticing odd side effects, like the feeling of Neuropathy in my feel, Anxiety and Insomnia.

I asked the Pharmacist about this and was told that 1 percent of people that take Tramadol have this reaction. I stopped taking it over a week ago and I am have horrible anxiety and cannot sleep.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-10-2010, 05:03 AM   #3
(male)

shamo3 HB User

Hi. That's not good! I'm taking amitriptyline every night before I go to bed which helped a bit with the pain, but its still here. If anything though, it has really helped me sleep. I've never slept this well. I used to lay awake late at night and just couldn't switch off because my mind was racing. Even before I had this problem. Maybe try that. Do you know of any other meds that would be good? I really am tempted to try something very soon.

Old 08-10-2010, 05:17 AM   #4
(female)

pifcat2006 HB User

All meds have side effects. I just happened to be in the 1 percent if the population that have that reaction to Tramadol.

It may no happen to you.

I don't know alot about Methadone, except that it can be hard to get off. Good luck

Old 08-10-2010, 07:25 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

ibake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB User

Drinking is not encouraged with any of the Class II narcotics. There is a warning on the side of the bottle that says you should not drink while taking this medicine. Play sports-sure. Drink? don't think so.

Old 08-10-2010, 09:56 PM   #6
(male)

shamo3 HB User

Cheers for the help guys. Can I take Tramadol or anything similar long term if I'm side effect free? I reckon I would only need the minimum dose, seeing as nurefon works well for me. That's mainly what I'm worried about...problems in later life from my decisions now. I was thinking of trying cerebrex but the risks seem too high. If I take nurefon or other anti inflamitries my stomach will be wrecked by 30

Closed Thread