It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Chronic Pain Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-01-2010, 06:23 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

allanbruce HB Userallanbruce HB Userallanbruce HB Userallanbruce HB User
I am finnaly getting lower back surgery

Well I have been to see the neurosurgeon and made a date for surgery. I go into hospital on the 24th of November and have surgery the next day. First I have a CT Venogram to look at the veins and arteries along the spine on Friday as he will be going to do an anterior approach and I think I see him one more time before the surgery. He is going to do a fusion at L5-S1 as the disc and vertebrae are hacked there and not any good for anything else. Then a disc replacement at L4-L5. So I am very happy about that. I am hoping to retain the mobility I have now and will have less chance of damage to the next level later on.
I am very happy so far anyway and will be glad to get this sorted out at last.
Allan

Old 09-01-2010, 07:53 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User
Re: I am finnaly getting lower back surgery

One tip for you, if you are open to it. When I did my L3-S1 fusion in February of 2010 I made sure to say to my surgeon, before going in and before any sedation "I am giving you permission to fix anything else you may find while you are in there. Even if that means adding a level to the fusion, changing the incision length....ANYTHING as I am striving for relief". The surgeon liked that and I made sure to do it in the presence of a nurse as well (sort of a witness to my permission)

I'm so glad you are finally getting a chance to have the surgery, I know this has been a LONG wait.

Last edited by SpineAZ; 09-01-2010 at 07:54 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-01-2010, 08:53 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

It sure has but getting the private health insurance made the difference. I would still be waiting otherwise. Thanks for your suggestion as I will be going in to hospital the day before the surgery anyway.
Allan

Old 09-01-2010, 10:52 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

janiee08 HB Userjaniee08 HB Userjaniee08 HB Userjaniee08 HB Userjaniee08 HB Userjaniee08 HB Userjaniee08 HB User

allan, So does this mean that you are having one level fused, and one level will be an artificial disc?? Or did I not understand correctly?....janiee08

Old 09-02-2010, 05:56 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Yes the lower level is badly damaged and he will fuse that one and the next level he can do a disc replacement giving me some flexibility and this will help reduce the chance of effecting the next level up. If both are fuse it can cause the next one up to have to bear all the stress. I am pleased about that.
Allan

Old 09-02-2010, 10:30 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

janiee08 HB Userjaniee08 HB Userjaniee08 HB Userjaniee08 HB Userjaniee08 HB Userjaniee08 HB Userjaniee08 HB User

Oh, allan, I am so happy for you!! This sounds great!! You have suffered long enough and really deserve relief. I really wish I had the option of the Artificial Disk Replacement when I had my fusion. Good Luck and keep us posted if you can....janiee

Old 09-02-2010, 11:27 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

I had the CT scan with contrast and the computer mucked up it gave me the injection through my groin but the CT didn't run so they had to set it up again refill the contrast and put me through again. Then they had to wait for a nurse to come and take the cannula out and clean me up, but it took 3/4 hour for that to happen so I was in there for 2 1/2 hours. I am very sore now and hope to have some sleep after my meds kick in. I had to stop at the shops to get a refund at Medicare. The procedure was $580 but I got $440 back. Not to bad just painful and hard driving home in the traffic. They did it on the left side to add to the pain I already have. So I am glad to be home and have some rest.
Allan

Closed Thread