It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Chronic Pain Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-02-2010, 05:45 PM   #1
(female)

LadyDee HB User
I am going through a Frozen Shoulder right now.

I am going through a Frozen Shoulder right now. I never heard of this before! I've been doing PT for about a month now and do see improvements. However I can not do any exercise at home cause I'm in so much pain after PT.
I see most people do not have good things to say about the manipulation, and frankly it scares me. I'm soooo tired all day long from pain and lack of sleep, I'm sick of it!!! The ocycodone doesn't seem to help much either. It seems to be causing me to be depressed and I'm crying alot, I'm really sick of it!!
So I started to get off of it only to find out I'm addicted. So I'm having to slowly get off of it now. I hate taking all these pills!
What other pain meds can I take? My tendon on my bicep is really hurting now. I stopped PT cause I'm so discouraged about everything! This is really horrible.

Last edited by Administrator; 10-06-2010 at 11:01 PM.

Old 09-03-2010, 04:28 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User
Re: I am going through a Frozen Shoulder right now.

If it's a case where you are considering manipulation under anesthesia this actually can be a very good thing. After my mom's shoulder replacement they didn't push her hard enough in Physical Therapy. At the time my mom was 60 and I had her give me permission to talk to her doctors. The doctor said "she's elderly and minimal movement is fine at her age". UGH. I explained her mom lived to 95, a week before the shoulder injury my mom was golfing in two leagues, and 60 is not elderly!!!!! Yes, some people at 60 are very debilitated by other medical problems but he wasn't even paying attention to my mom's pre-surgical capabilities. He agreed to a manipulation under anesthesia and then more PT so scar tissue could not form and my mom was again golfing and worked herself back to 2 leagues.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-06-2010, 07:38 AM   #3
(female)

LadyDee HB User

I am looking into Myofascial (MY-oh-FAH-shul) trigger points.
They say that small contraction knots in muscles, are actually the primary cause of a frozen shoulder.

Trigger point therapy is a gentle massage technique that targets localized areas of exquisite tenderness in muscles. They say it has been used very successfully for frozen shoulder to relieve pain, restore range of motion, and shorten recovery times.

Someone in one of the other threads said it worked great for her! I'm going to talk to my PT to see if she knows anything about it and also my Chiro has a massage therapist I'll be asking.

Old 09-06-2010, 06:58 PM   #4
(female)

mashreed HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyDee View Post
I am going through a Frozen Shoulder right now. I never heard of this before! I've been doing PT for about a month now and do see improvements. However I can not do any exercise at home cause I'm in so much pain after PT.
I see most people do not have good things to say about the manipulation, and frankly it scares me. I'm soooo tired all day long from pain and lack of sleep, I'm sick of it!!! The ocycodone doesn't seem to help much either. It seems to be causing me to be depressed and I'm having suicidal thoughts and crying alot, I'm really sick of it!!
So I started to get off of it only to find out I'm addicted. So I'm having to slowly get off of it now. I hate taking all these pills!
What other pain meds can I take? My tendon on my bicep is really hurting now. I stopped PT cause I'm so discouraged about everything! This is really horrible.
LadyDee I feel your pain, but everyone is different. I hated taking the pain pills too and all they did was make me depress and didn't kill the pain. All I can tell you is, if it hurts don't do it! You have to move it enough to keep it from freezing up but don't over do it either. I stopped taking all the pills, stop going to pt, just did what I could at home. It did help when I got the cortizone shot in my shoulder, CORRECTLY. But all the pt did was keep me in pain constantly. Once I stopped doing all the exercises and let my arm and shoulder heal to where it stopped hurting all the time. Then I just slowly started doing them again, as soon as I could feel the pain coming back I stopped. Just don't over do it when you are doing your exercises and you will make progress slowly. If you strain the muscles and continue, you will be in constant pain. I had my surgery April 15, by May I wasn't any better then before the surgery. That's when I took my pain into my own hands. By July 4th, I was camping for 4 days, By August 2, I had packed my house and moved, I have been moving boxed and putting things away and haven't thought about my arm. The weather got cooler this week and some stiffness moved in but I figured cold weather will make it hurt some. But just do things that you can't, Like I drove with my right arm because it hurt my left arm, I couldn't hold my arm up to drive with it. So every time I drove I tried holding my left arm up on the steerwheel, even if it was for just a few seconds. I just kept on trying and got up further and further on the steeringwheel and could hold my arm there longer and longer, and now I can drive with my left arm again. You have to pace yourself, and only you know what hurts too much. Good luck, I don't need or take anything for pain. You'll get there too just be patient and go slowly but go.

Old 09-07-2010, 09:49 AM   #5
(female)

LadyDee HB User

I'm actually feeling a little better already! I only take the pain pills at night because my body is craving it. I've slept better and not in as much pain since getting almost off them. My PT is calling me back but I'm not going! I have to drive for a living and it's either drive and work or go to PT. I also use my left hand mainly. I've been doing the same thing creeping my right hand slowly up the steering wheel for awhile.

So you had the manipulation? Wow! Still no progress, see it's not a cure all. How long did your frozen shoulder last? Have you ever heard of myofacial trigger points. Someone mentioned they had that done to them by a massage therapist and it worked wonders! Sounds very interesting I want to look into that.

A friend of mine now has frozen shoulder too and her sister had it several years back. She is not even going to PT cause it didn't do her sister any good. Her sister just had massages and suffered through it!

Appreciate your comment, you took the words right out of my mouth!!

Old 09-07-2010, 11:45 AM   #6
Inactive
(female)

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User

LadyDee...I was just reading an article on the use of a type of constant passive motion machine called the "joint activation system" to cure a frozen shoulder. They use something similar to them with knee replacements all the time...even send you home from the hospital with them.

Anyhow, they now have them for shoulders and you use it at home twice a day. It is gentle movement and the fact that you use it daily, means that you get your own gentle PT at home twice a day. It comes through PT but your PT may not even know about it yet...very new. But ask them to check into it. If you can rent one from a hospital or medical supply place or the PT facility, it would be a big help. From what I read, you get better results than a manipulation.

Something to look into?

Jenny

Old 09-11-2010, 09:51 AM   #7
(female)

wrenegade HB User

Hi! I had frozen shoulder for about 2 or 3 years. I had 2 cortisone shots spaced out about a year which helped some each time. I did some research and found out that it usually resolves itself in 3 or 4 years. Has anyone else heard this? I just kept working mine as I was able, but didn't push it past my limits, and sure enough it has resolved. Weird. At some point, I could not lift my arm past horizontal for a long, long time, I do still have some stiffness in that arm, but nothing like it was for the 2/3 year period.

Hope you find relief.

wren

Old 09-11-2010, 10:58 AM   #8
(female)

LadyDee HB User

Don't tell me I got another 2 yrs like this!!! It's been about a year now. I was really hoping by next summer to be ok! My pain has finally subsided quite a bit. Of course when I start working it out then it hurts. I'm going ato get a massage and myofacial trigger point therapy Monday and then try to do what I can at home with working it out. I still can't put my hand on my hip or reach the top of my head. Everywhere else in between is not to bad though. It's hard though to reach over the other hand.
I can't believe the Doctors can't figure out why this happens!!

Old 09-21-2010, 11:12 AM   #9
(female)

mashreed HB User

LadyDee sorry to hear about how long you have been in pain. Like I said in other messages, if it hurts don't do it. Stop everything that is causing constant pain. I waited until my shoulder and neck and everything stopped hurting to where I could sleep again. Then I did my own therapy at home and one of the things I would do while sitting and watching tv was: I would grab my bad arm with my good arm and slowly try and lift over my head, when it started hurting too much I would release and give my arm a short break. but it is a slow and yes it does hurt while you are doing it, but pain should stop when you stop and release. I figure its stretching everything that has tightened up and yes it hurts, but I would push a little further each time. That was back in May and now I can raise my arm over my head without using my good arm. I also try putting my hand on my hip all the time and used my good arm at first to get it there, now I can do it with my bad arm. It takes time but you shouldn't be in constant pain, if you are then stop and give your body time to heal musles and what ever you have over extended and damaged. And you will get there just give it time. You know your body best on what is too much or not enough.

Old 09-21-2010, 02:42 PM   #10
(female)

LadyDee HB User

Thank You! Yes that is what I have done - just stopped everything! Of course my PT is calling me back but I said not now! My pain has really gone down now. I've gone to two massages (she is familiar with FS and knows about myofacial trigger therapy). I really don't feel like doing anything, my neck and shoulders keeps hurting me and getting stiff. I hope I'm in the thawing stage since my pain has gone down to the point I hardly take any meds now. I'm sleeping a little better too.

That is really great to hear about your progress!! Very encouraging. My PT makes it seems as if I'm going to stay stiff if I don't come back to her!! Oh well!! lol

How long did you suffer with this?

Old 09-22-2010, 06:01 AM   #11
(female)

Kendra01 HB UserKendra01 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyDee View Post
I am looking into Myofascial (MY-oh-FAH-shul) trigger points.
They say that small contraction knots in muscles, are actually the primary cause of a frozen shoulder.

Trigger point therapy is a gentle massage technique that targets localized areas of exquisite tenderness in muscles. They say it has been used very successfully for frozen shoulder to relieve pain, restore range of motion, and shorten recovery times.

Someone in one of the other threads said it worked great for her! I'm going to talk to my PT to see if she knows anything about it and also my Chiro has a massage therapist I'll be asking.

Hello, I was doing research on frozen shoulder and saw your post. Where did you hear that small muscle knots cause frozen shoulder? I was diagnosed yesterday and was not convinced because I don't have pain in my shoulder. My pain is in the arm muscles, even my lower arm. I also have muscle knots in both arms.

If this is true, then I guess I do have frozen shoulder. I got shots yesterday and am to begin therapy ASAP.

Old 09-22-2010, 06:37 AM   #12
(female)

LadyDee HB User

I am truly sorry for your diagnosis!! I never even heard of any of this until I got diagnosised and started doing research!
Someone mentioned Myofascial (MY-oh-FAH-shul) trigger points therapy and so I looked it up and that's were they mentioned the knots. My pain was also mainly in my arm muscles. I didn't have any pain in my shoulder and at first they diagnosised me wrong because of that.
If you look it up I believe it was a Frozen Shoulder Workbook that mentioned it. Ask a massage therapist if they are familiar with it too.

Old 09-22-2010, 06:48 AM   #13
(female)

OMG I haven't heard of someone that sounds like they have what I have before. I started out with stiff, sore arm muscles. They also hurt and have little knots that are quite painful. I push, squeeze and hit them to help them let go. My shoulder has never hurt, but that's where she gave me the shots.

I have been suspecting I have an autoimmune disorder. I also have EXTREME light sensitivity. She didn't seem to pay that any attention.

I am also a Type I diabetic. Supposedly, many with this condition are diabetic.

Old 09-22-2010, 08:36 AM   #14
(female)

LadyDee HB User

I didn't go to the Dr for months because I figured my arm would get better. I thought my fibromyalgia was flaring up big time!! I finally couldn't take it and went to Dr who said I had a pinched nerve. Sent me to another Dr who had an MRI done of my neck and back which showed a pinched nerve and then proceeded to give me shots in my spine! (We all probably have pinched nerves and don't even know it) After the second shot I said enough!! Neither shot did anything for my pain, I was still in pain in my arm. When one of his assistants pressed my shoulder area I had tender spots. She was the one who started to doubt, she started making comments like I think this might be a shoulder problem. You need to go back to your 1st Dr. I then had them order another MRI of my shoulder and went back to the 1st Dr. Which he then said I had FS. MRI confirmed it. I got another shot in my shoulder and started PT. My arm hurt even worse then.
Everytime I try to do any stretching up my arm hurts!
Ice packs help the pain.

The PT massaged my knot in my bicep muscle real hard and press and hold it and it went away. Then I got another one higher up so I did it to myself and it went away.

They do say alot of Diabetics get this, I'm not one though.

Old 09-22-2010, 11:31 AM   #15
(female)

Yes, it is very painful. Do you have it in both arms? That's what so odd about mine.

I went to the physical therapist this morning. She says something is causing these muscle spasms. It's too coincidental. (I don't have fibro myalgia) I had one muscle spasm in my back 5 years ago that lasted for one year. Nothing helped it. It eventually went away. Then my leg muscles got weak, sore and VERY stiff, with limited motion. Like I had a ran a marathon when I hadn't done a thing. After 2 years my legs got better, but there're still stiff, but my arms got sore and stiff with limited motions. It's just odd. I also have extreme light sensitivty and visual changes.

I'm done my own research, but that can drive you crazy and scare you to death. LOL
I'm this close to making an appointment at the Mayo Clinic. I've got to get to the bottom of it.

Closed Thread