It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Chronic Pain Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-20-2010, 09:47 PM   #1
(male)

smithesque HB User
How long should 135 vicodin last me?

I posted a (much) longer version of this to the main Pain board, but I think I made it too confusing and so the answers are focusing on a side question I asked about tylenol. So here it is much more succinctly (I hope).

Is using 135 tablets of 5/500 tablets of hydrocodone (always within prescription dosing instructions) over a period of 90 days too fast?

Details:

Each time I visit the pharmacy I get one bottle of 45 tablets of 5/500 hydrocodone (it's for lower back disc degeneration pain). I get to do that three times, after which the doctor said just to have them call in and he'd re-issue another 3x45 tablet script. The dose instructions on the bottle are: "1 to 2 tablets, every 4-6 hours, as needed, for pain".

I usually take 0.5 or 1 tablet at a time, once or twice a day. Some days I take none at all. Occasionally I'll take two tablets. The most I've ever taken in a day is four -- two in the morning, and then two in early evening. My pain is long-term, but very spiky -- some days it's just a background hum, others I'm twisting to keep vertebrae from bumping together! :-) How much I take depends on how big the pain "spike" is, and how long I reckon it's going to last. I never exceed dose instructions.

I guess I'm concerned because although the dosing instructions "allow" a certain frequency of use, perhaps there was an expectation of something much slower. Maybe my 3 x 45 supply was supposed to last 6 months, or a year, or more? I don't want to have the pharmacy phone in and then be labeled some kind of drug abuser because I'm using them too quickly.

Last edited by smithesque; 09-20-2010 at 09:48 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-23-2010, 11:03 AM   #2
(female)

Zoey1977 HB User
Re: How long should 135 vicodin last me?

my math was screwed up so I'm removing my post. You sound like you should be fine but best to check with your doctor or pharmacist.

Last edited by Zoey1977; 09-27-2010 at 10:31 AM.

Old 09-23-2010, 04:35 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

maltluver HB Usermaltluver HB Usermaltluver HB Usermaltluver HB Usermaltluver HB Usermaltluver HB Usermaltluver HB Usermaltluver HB Usermaltluver HB Usermaltluver HB Usermaltluver HB User

You are not taking too many too fast. Your dr. said you could take much more than that and you are way under his prescribed limits.

Carol

Old 09-24-2010, 12:32 PM   #4
(male)

Brokend HB UserBrokend HB UserBrokend HB UserBrokend HB UserBrokend HB User

You're allowed up to 8 pills a day if the bottle says 1-2 every 4-6 hours.

That's 8x30=240 per month.

HOWEVER, some docs will write that but only prescribe, say, 60 a month max.

You should probably ask your doctor.

Old 09-25-2010, 10:05 PM   #5
Facilitator
(female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User

Are you seeing a Pain Management physician?

Old 10-10-2010, 05:21 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User

You're well within your limit for amount of meds you have, but one thing you should consider. A doc cannot "call" in a refill for a class II Narcotic, it requires an actual paper prescription. Just wanted to mention that before you run out of meds and get caught in a bind.

Old 10-10-2010, 05:38 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pegala HB UserPegala HB UserPegala HB UserPegala HB UserPegala HB UserPegala HB UserPegala HB User

Hello Smith,
It usually says on the bottle x number of days. Look for that and it will indicate how long the prescription should last. If you don't find that I would ask your doctor. He's the one who knows.
Please keep us posted.
Peggy

Old 10-11-2010, 10:51 AM   #8
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by katlin09 View Post
You're well within your limit for amount of meds you have, but one thing you should consider. A doc cannot "call" in a refill for a class II Narcotic, it requires an actual paper prescription. Just wanted to mention that before you run out of meds and get caught in a bind.
Is Vicodin/Hydrocodone on the Class/Sched. II list?

My old doctor would always call in for those, though I would have to pick up prescriptions for Oxycodone, which I know is on the Sched. II list.

Old 10-11-2010, 07:48 PM   #9
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User

In NC, Vicodine can't be called in, i'm not sure where you're at though.

Old 10-12-2010, 05:37 AM   #10
(female)

katlovesdogs HB User

My doctor in NC calls in my script for Hydrocodone.. It is the Oxycodone he can't call in

Old 10-12-2010, 07:05 AM   #11
(female)

HeavenSent4Love HB User
Exclamation Re: How long should 135 vicodin last me?

If you would take them as needed ever 4 to 8 hours
You, should have them for up to your 90 days...

Taking two pills every four hours would be taking- the pills eight times taking them within the 24 hour time frame- Which really is way to much and if you take it like that everyday it will not last you the 90 days

Taking two pills ever eight hours you would be taking the pills- four times within the 24 hour time frame. Your best beat is to take the pills as needed when it comes to those pills- they are not that bad for you- which people are always saying how much they love them- they really do not do anything to anyone- the pain does not ever go away for me when I take them- and I have taken them many of times and now I am on Methadone- I have had at least 15 different pain pills I have had to take- a lot of them were due to surgeries I have had to have done.

If I were you though take your pills as needed for the pain- make them last for 90 days. I always had mine way beyond the point of the 90 days. I still have some sitting in the other room- With other pills I do not take- the methadone though is not anything to mess with and you cannot take that one as needed though which sucks. I hate taking meds- I hate pills...

Hope you feel better and the pain goes away

Old 10-12-2010, 07:11 AM   #12
(female)

HeavenSent4Love HB User
Lightbulb Re: How long should 135 vicodin last me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brokend View Post
You're allowed up to 8 pills a day if the bottle says 1-2 every 4-6 hours.

That's 8x30=240 per month.

HOWEVER, some docs will write that but only prescribe, say, 60 a month max.

You should probably ask your doctor.

I have had 150 given to me- when I was on these- so no it is not the max for a month. I got mine from my pain doctor though- which I am not taking them any longer- I am on other meds

Old 10-12-2010, 03:15 PM   #13
(male)

The max would be whatever the doctor says on the directions.

Check your math in your first post, and everyone's pain is different so always keep that in mind. You may have had a surplus of meds at the end of the month but most folks that need them don't.

Closed Thread