It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Chronic Pain Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-23-2010, 10:58 AM   #1
(female)

Zoey1977 HB User
Methadone for Pain

After being on narcotic pain medication for 4 years my pm is suggesting methadone for pain. I have read a few stories on here (mine will be in tablet form) I am excited about trying something new as I am so tired of the emotional rollercoaster of these meds, not to mention the tolenance that builds so quickly. One of my questions may be off topic, for that I apologize but it is a huge concern for me. Does methadone make you gain weight, I have found many google searches that say that it does, but that may be for other reasons (IE they are finally eating again) but if anyone on here has any honest information it would be greatly appreciated. My other question is for those of you on it for pain, how well does it work and how long did it take you to become stabalized?
Thank you, gentle hugs,
Zoey.

Old 09-23-2010, 04:38 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

maltluver HB Usermaltluver HB Usermaltluver HB Usermaltluver HB Usermaltluver HB Usermaltluver HB Usermaltluver HB Usermaltluver HB Usermaltluver HB Usermaltluver HB Usermaltluver HB User
Re: Methadone for Pain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoey1977 View Post
After being on narcotic pain medication for 4 years my pm is suggesting methadone for pain. I have read a few stories on here (mine will be in tablet form) I am excited about trying something new as I am so tired of the emotional rollercoaster of these meds, not to mention the tolenance that builds so quickly. One of my questions may be off topic, for that I apologize but it is a huge concern for me. Does methadone make you gain weight, I have found many google searches that say that it does, but that may be for other reasons (IE they are finally eating again) but if anyone on here has any honest information it would be greatly appreciated. My other question is for those of you on it for pain, how well does it work and how long did it take you to become stabalized?
Thank you, gentle hugs,
Zoey.

Hi Zoey. I was on methadone for a while (10mg, 3xdaily) and at first it made me really sleepy. It did control my pain well and my system got used to the med and I didn't need a nap any more, lol. However, my family said it was making me mean and so I titrated down and went to a different med. As you know, every med works differently for different people.

Good luck with the meth. I really hope it agrees with you as it is so good at pain control.

Carol

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-24-2010, 10:00 PM   #3
(female)

Zoey1977 HB User

Thank you, I hope that does not happen to me that is one of the main reasons I want off of oxy (it makes me mean) however did you notice any significant weight changes due to the methadone? I am a recovering anorexic so this is a big concern for me, especially since exercise is extremely difficult for me.
Zoey.

Old 09-25-2010, 03:20 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

maltluver HB Usermaltluver HB Usermaltluver HB Usermaltluver HB Usermaltluver HB Usermaltluver HB Usermaltluver HB Usermaltluver HB Usermaltluver HB Usermaltluver HB Usermaltluver HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoey1977 View Post
Thank you, I hope that does not happen to me that is one of the main reasons I want off of oxy (it makes me mean) however did you notice any significant weight changes due to the methadone? I am a recovering anorexic so this is a big concern for me, especially since exercise is extremely difficult for me.
Zoey.

Zoey, I didn't notice any weight gain, tho at the time I wasn't really watching my weight as I am now. I hope you have good luck with the meth; please let me know, okay?

Carol

Old 09-28-2010, 10:03 PM   #5
(female)

Zoey1977 HB User

I will keep everyone posted, I'm in Canada, so it will be a while before I start treatment. Thank you for your response Carol.

Old 10-07-2010, 11:14 AM   #6
(female)

dw1961 HB Userdw1961 HB Userdw1961 HB Userdw1961 HB Userdw1961 HB User

Just wanted to check with you and see if you noticed any weight gain? I'm taking it and if anything it makes me not want to eat.

Debbie

Old 12-26-2010, 09:52 AM   #7
(male)

bstinch HB User

zoey/ as with all meications, especially narcotics, they all can work differently and have different side effects for different people.my methadone rx was titrated up to 40 mgs three times a day...didnt notice any weight gain and is a very inexpensive drug as compared to most of he long acting meds avaiable....good luck

Old 12-26-2010, 05:54 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

nochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB User

zoey1977, I do not know what they give over there in Canada. For neck pain it is obvious, you can ask anyone, ms contin is the only thing that will help you. You do have bulging disks etc. I believe you are wasting your time with the methadone. it is not meant for severe neck pain.

You can try though. We all try.
Good luck to you.

P.S you are not the only one with high tolerance to narcotic pain meds. I have this problem too. I am on oxycontin and really careful with it. 40mg already.

Last edited by nochange; 12-26-2010 at 05:56 PM.

Old 12-26-2010, 06:03 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

jonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB User

Nochange, it is generaly accepted that all of the high potency narcotics are about equal for releiving pin, in equivalent doses (morphine, oxycodone, hydromorphone, methadone etc) i dont think there is any evidence that any narcotic is especialy better than any other for neck pain.

Multiple anecdotes do not equal evidence - Me

Old 12-26-2010, 08:53 PM   #10
(male)

bstinch HB User

you sir, are correct...methadone is used for all kinds of pain; neck or otherwise....40 mg of oxycontin is not a lot, either....

Old 12-29-2010, 11:24 AM   #11
(female)

3girlshockeymom HB User

OK, this is what I can tell you...I don't have your kind of pain tho.... I had a Huge appetitie for sugar that I never previously had...skittles, doughnuts etc...gained little tho because the methadone made me vomit almost daily. You need to be sure...due to the long action of this med it is VERY hard to stop taking.... you have to do a very slow taper or you will have withdrawals...it is NOT easy to get off, some people report wd's even with a slow taper. It has been reported that people can kick heroin anytime but not methadone. It causes depression, lack of interest etc...and your sex drive will go in the toilet. other side effects are fevers, sweating..waking up drenched..anxiety too. So be really sure you are ready to do this.

Old 01-21-2011, 07:23 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

BrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB User

I had been on methadone for 4 years and it was an excellent pain reliever for all my various types of pain. I was also taking oxycodone as a breakthrough med. After awhile I felt that I was not really "living", just merely existing and wondered if it was the methadone that was bringing on my depression and lack of interest in the world around me. So, I just simply stopped taking it. I was on 120 mg. per day broken into 40 mg. 3 times daily. I had absolutely no withdrawal symptoms when I stopped. Of course I was still taking my oxy - my prescription called for 4 30mg. tablets every 4 hours. So that would bring the total amount that I could take to about 700 mg. per day. Yes....700 mg. per day, that isn't a typo! Now I am trying to taper down on the oxy. I want to be taking the least amount of medication possible while still getting good pain control. It's a tricky endeavor for sure!

Old 01-22-2011, 02:25 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(male)

Isotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB User
Try something else

John,

The potency equivalence of the various Narcotics is one thing, yes. However, they all act on different receptors in different ways for different people. They all have a general 'character' to them; activating, sedating, euphoric, long acting, short acting, more or less histamine, more or less dizzy, headache, mood changes, appetite, bowel function, and of course -They don't all act exactly the same for any given pain even if the dosing is equalized.

Just a thought.

~

Old 02-03-2011, 09:30 AM   #14
(male)

Hdumpty HB User

Methadone they also perscribe for heroin addiction. It starts working right away. Do Not drink alcohol with it. That is bad. I have heard of people dying combining the two.

Old 02-26-2011, 11:40 AM   #15
(female)

louisef1 HB Userlouisef1 HB User

I too did not really like methadone as I found it made me very forgetful and spacey and I had anxiety attacks on it also,compared with endone (Oxycontin) , I have found oxy to be of a better choice and worked better for my pain in smaller amounts then methadone.

Closed Thread