It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Chronic Pain Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-13-2010, 07:39 PM   #1
(male)

Ellis216 HB User
Drs that listen?

ive got in a car accident oct24 08.... then another sept 30th 2010... last week the dr gave me vikodin 5/00mg and i said it didnt work. i didnt wanna take to much so i stuck with the pain until today when i hada follow up. she upped it to 7/750mg. She said " she didnt want to swich meds and its better to up the ones that im on already." I mentioned that percocets help better i dont know if that was a bad thing to do to mention a addictive drug to a dr? Im only 22 is she keeping me away from the oxycodone for a reason? my mom tossed me one when the vikodin wasnt working and it took all the pain away. No euphoric effects just no pain.
Any help would be kick ***!

Old 10-14-2010, 01:21 AM   #2
(male)

MFrakes HB User
Re: Drs that listen?

ellis,

I'm new to the PM thing but I would say that that's an awful lot of APAP. Resist the urge to take more than she prescribed. You will have to not beat around the bush ans tell her it's not getting it done and express your concern abouy the APAP...............I would be careful about asking for somwthing specific. Others might disagree with me on that.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-14-2010, 10:35 AM   #3
(male)

Ellis216 HB User

whats APAP mean brother?

Old 10-15-2010, 05:23 AM   #4
(male)

MFrakes HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis216 View Post
whats APAP mean brother?

APAP is a term for acetaminophen. APAP, in combination with the oxycodone, makes the oxy more effective. Max dosage per day seems to be 4000 mgs. No more than 1000 mgs at a time. Research this issue. APAP will wreck your liver, you can OD easily, from what I understand, when your liver is unable to process this stuff. Be careful with those 750 mgs. per dose. My doc prescribes percocet 10/350's..............more oxycodone and less APAP.

Be careful......................do some research.

Peace

Old 10-15-2010, 09:40 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

ibake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB User

It's because of your age. Because you are so young she doesn't want to start you off on the "heavier" narcotics. She doesn't want you on them for the rest of your life, so she is offering something that isn't so strong.

Old 10-16-2010, 05:12 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB User

I'm going to say something here & hope you do not get offended.
Unless you have a long term & trusting relationship with your doctor you take a chance of raising red flags asking for a specific med or when stating one medication works better then the other. If you did say percocet works better I'm sure she is wondering how you would know that & who prescribed percocet to you.
Your mom could get into a bind here if she gives you any medication not prescribed for you. I'd hate to see that happen as no mother wants to see her child suffer but when it comes to pain meds doctors are really strict.

I am guessing Bake & Pray is on to something here. If this med does not cut your better off coming right out & stating you are not getting enough pain coverage & letting her make the suggestion. Some doctors will not prescribe anything stronger then Vicodin or Norco. My surgeon was one of them.
Be very careful what you say & how you say it. Do not take any other meds, trust me this could cost you big time. Good luck, Sammy

Old 10-16-2010, 11:16 AM   #7
(male)

Ellis216 HB User

Thank you a lot Sammy, I figured naming off a perscription wouldnt do any good and just let the Dr. come to the decision of what to put me on. I have a high opiate tolerance and she already had said that pain management sounds like a plan. They as a family practice can only perscribe so much before PM is a must. we went from 5-500 to 7.5-750 vikoden within two weeeks, she said not to change the meds before we up them. anyhow thanks again for your help!

Closed Thread