It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Chronic Pain Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-26-2010, 09:41 PM   #1
Inactive
(male)

Shauny HB User
Chronic Pain Syndrome

((I think I posted this in the wrong place, so have posted it in the proper place. if you delete one can you delete this one please))

Sorry!!!!

Hi All. Hope you are all well.
Names Shaun, "NEVER ILL"
Aged 37 years young (although 80 year old men would beat me in a race)

Quick Story.

For 10/12 years now I have been classified "Disabled"
Is started with my left knee, "House Maids Knee" If I remember.
This was the 1st diagnosis I got.

In the last 3 years, I have broken 5 bones.
Every morning I wake up I am in AGONY.
The drugs I take are:
I am taking the following medication on a daily basis:
1. Diclofenec (one 50mg tablets 3 per day)
2. Diazepam (three 5mg tablet 4 times per day)
3. Dihydrocodeine (three 30mg tablet 4 times per day)
4. Zipiclone (one tablet at night to help me sleep through pain)
5. Omeprazole (one 40 mg tablet per day)
6. Movicol (one sachet per day to help with constipation)
7. Voltarol Emulgel (A gel to be rubbed onto parts of my body where pain is several times a day)
8. Morphine (5mg if and when needed, when the pain is bad)
9. Paracetamol (two tablets 4 times per day)

Yesterday, late last night, My knee gave way, I fell, banged my head and was unconcious for 2 hours, had x rays, blood taken etc.

The Hospital Dr said I had "Chronic Pain Syndrome"
I have never heard of this before.

I suffer pain in my upper spine (back of my neck)
Left Shoulder
Both Hips
Both wrists
Left knee (Worst pain I get, I Have 3 knee braces for different uses)
Suffer depression/mood swings/eating/then not eating/
Because of all the tablets I have "going to the toilet issues" are bad

It is very hard to wake each morning in pain.
I have to lie in a bath for 30 minutes. then rub Voltarol Emulgel on my sore areas, then take anywhere between 7 and 11 tablets, depending on the pain.
I have had compete blood workups, xrays, scans you name it.

I am asking if anyone else suffers from this Chronic Pain Syndrome.
For me it is steadily getting worse as the weeks/months pass.

Any information would be brilliant.
And I hope I have posted this in the correct forum

I know I am not dying, I am never ill.
Just "ALWAYS" sore. 24/7
The medication I am on is unreal.
I also suffer mental health issues

Regards

Shauny

Last edited by Shauny; 10-26-2010 at 10:39 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-27-2010, 06:07 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

hessie28 HB Userhessie28 HB User
Re: Chronic Pain Syndrome

Hi. It sounds like what I suffer with in conjunction to Failed Back Surgery Syndrome. No Dr. has ever called it Chronic Pain Syndrome. They just say Failed Back surgery with nerve damage in the legs and feet. When I wake up in the morning I can't move. Can't make a fist. Nothing. It all hurts. I guess they treat the same way. I take the following for pain.

Fentanyl Patch 50mcg
Percocet
Embeda (morphine based)

That cocktail seems to be working. Still have pain but can tolerate it now. Two months ago it was unbearable. Now can tolerate.

Hope you feel better.

Old 10-31-2010, 06:44 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

nochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shauny View Post
((I think I posted this in the wrong place, so have posted it in the proper place. if you delete one can you delete this one please))

Quick Story.
The Hospital Dr said I had "Chronic Pain Syndrome"
I have never heard of this before.

I suffer pain in my upper spine (back of my neck)
Left Shoulder
Both Hips
Both wrists
Left knee (Worst pain I get, I Have 3 knee braces for different uses)
Suffer depression/mood swings/eating/then not eating/
Because of all the tablets I have "going to the toilet issues" are bad

I am asking if anyone else suffers from this Chronic Pain Syndrome.
For me it is steadily getting worse as the weeks/months pass.

Just "ALWAYS" sore. 24/7
The medication I am on is unreal.
Shauny
Hello and welcome. Sory to hear you're suffering.
I've never heard about chronic pain syndrome, in the u.s they call it chronic pain, period. I believe you're taking too many medications.
Also, medications have side effects and you take alot. You take too many and it doesn't help your pain, what's the point?.

Seem to me the doctors in Scotland are afraid to prescribe you enough amount of narcotic pain meds and that's why they're "playing" you like that.
That's my opinion. Been suffering from chronic pain for 5 years already so I can tell from reading your post here.

Ask your doctor for the fentanyl patch it should work or/and increase your morphine use, 5mg is nothing. But I'm not sure about the laws in Scotland, I believe your doctor will refuse increasing morphine dosage. There is oxycontin also, howcome your doctor doesn't prescribe it to.

by the way, you take codeine, that's nothing for severe chronic pain like you have there and when you suffer from chronic pain, you won't sleep.

One day the sleeping pill you take will wear off.

Talk to your doctor and get back to us. all the best.

Old 10-31-2010, 02:22 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

janiee08 HB Userjaniee08 HB Userjaniee08 HB Userjaniee08 HB Userjaniee08 HB Userjaniee08 HB Userjaniee08 HB User

Hello everyone!! I was doing some reading on Chronic Pain Syndrome on one of the UK's website. I didn't understand what it was either. From the little bit that I read so far, it seems to resemble Fibromyalgia. It's not what we would call chronic pain here, or Failed Back Surgery Syndrome. There is indeed chronic pain associated with this though. Need to do more research. See ya later....janiee

Old 10-31-2010, 05:01 PM   #5
Inactive
(male)

Shauny HB User

Thanks for the feedback.
in UTTER agony here.

The medication seems to take 25% of the pain away, enough for me to live a half nornal life.

Thanks again

Shaun

Old 11-01-2010, 05:59 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

nochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB User

Hello again. Well, that's what I thought. Your meds are not strong enough to cover half of your pain. Only 25% is NOT enough. You are too young to suffer like this and to not be able to have a life.

As I said, it's obvious you suffer from chronic pain. My doctor told me once pain persists more than 6 months they call it chronic pain.

Since they don't like to put you on narcotic pain meds you can ask your doctor for Clonazepam. I'm pretty sure your doctor in Scotland will "agree" to rx you that one. It's not classified as "narcotic". I'm not sure about the maximum use in Scotland. But I can tell you it helps the pain and helps to sleep. I need 4 mg of clonazepam in order to sleep, 3.5 doesn't help. Everyone is different. It depends how much you suffer. I try NOT to take it every day. It's not narcotic but KEEP in mind you will need to increase the dose as time goes by...but it helps the pain like 80%-90%. It's much much much better than valium which didn't help me a bit.

There is Topamax you can try. They now give anti-epileptic (anti seizure) meds to chronic pain patients like us. Ask your doctor. I didn't try it.

I do not have emotional problems (I hope) but I have difficulty concentrating and/or remembering things cause of the pain. I'm sure it's not the meds. Cause when I do not take them it's the same. It is the pain all right.

All the best and god bless.

Last edited by nochange; 11-01-2010 at 06:01 AM.

Old 11-10-2010, 12:08 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

Blasterboy HB UserBlasterboy HB User

Lyrica is the king of anti-seizure meds, if you don't mind 20% weight increase. It calms seizure, anxiety, general pain and apparently a whole bunch of other issues....

Old 11-10-2010, 10:05 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Lyrica didn't help this pain in the neck I have. My doctor didn't understand why. It's not strong enough. It all depends what type of pain you're having, where it's located etc.

Old 11-11-2010, 09:21 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

jonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB User

Dihydrocideine IS NOT codeine - it is a potent narcotic akin to hydrocodone...... 90mg would be ~ equal to 20mg of Vicodin etc, quite a strong dose.

5mg of morphine sounds like a sub theraputic dose - any effect would be minimal.

Have you tried adding a tricyclic antidepressant (if you're in the UK, dosulepin 75mg at nightwould be a good one to ask your doctor about, it has far less side effects than amitriptyline) It can help with chronic pain, nerve pain, and it will also help you sleep and increase the analgesic effects of your other pain meds. I would realy push for a trial of this, in some people, it can make a massive difference. Alternatives are amitriptyline and nortriptyline.

Also, Diclofenac is a short acting drug - by taking 50mg three times a day, you get peaks and troughs in the releif of pain, it would be more sensible to take 75mg of slow release diclofenac twice a day, so you get constant leval of relief.

Last edited by jonnstar; 11-11-2010 at 09:35 PM.

Old 11-11-2010, 09:28 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(male)

jonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB User

Oh, acording to a respected Austrlian textbook (Theraputic Guidelines - Analgesics, published in 2008), Chronic Pain Syndrome should never be used as a clinical diagnosis, rahter it covers a set of beheiviors seen in some chronic pain patients

Closed Thread