It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Chronic Pain Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-27-2010, 07:25 PM   #1
(female)

greatoldthings HB User
At a Complete Loss

I have had pain in my left hip, leg and my lower back for the past 7 years. I'm only 19 and am getting pretty tired of hurting. My "injuries" weren't caused by anything that I know of but I started hurting when I was 11 and it slowly got worse and worse and more constant. Now I hurt all the time.

I have had three hip surgeries, years of physiotherapy, chiropractic work, steroid injections and everything else imaginable to manage my pain including dieting, yoga, and so forth. Nothing helps. Some days my pain is worse, some days are better, but the pain is always there. It makes it so I am unable to sleep.

My doctor has me on Tramadol and I take Motrin regularly. But neither work. I also take vitamins on a daily basis, but they don't seem to help me either. At least not that I have noticed. I am also using a Lidocaine Patch, which helps for about two hours at a time, but it doesn't help completely .

I'm in college and some days it's impossible to walk around campus, and I hurt with such an intensity after sitting for hours at a time that by the time I get home all I can do is lay in my bed with a heating pad or ice pack pressed on the areas that hurt the most. I hate it because I can't socialize like I used to because I am so completely spent after my three days at school. And being in constant and agonizing pain makes it very hard to concentrate on school work. Can anyone help me? Any suggestions on what I can take to make the pain less? I go to my doctor in three weeks and I would like to have a list of pain meds I can discuss with him about taking.

Thank you,
Resa

Last edited by greatoldthings; 10-27-2010 at 07:53 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-28-2010, 10:21 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

hessie28 HB Userhessie28 HB User
Re: At a Complete Loss

Hi. Sorry you are in so much pain. The Tramadol is not really a narcotic I don't think. They started me off with that four years ago after my back surgery. It sounds like you need something stronger. The problem is the doctor probably doesn't want to give you anything stronger since you are young. Once you start on the narcotics you stay on them from my experience. I'm 45 and they say too young for all these meds. Once you start them you become tolerant and then they have to try something else.

If you have tried everything you could already I would discuss with your doctor something stronger for the pain. The problem is will it interfere with your college work? The meds can make you tired etc. That is how it started with me and now I am on three pain meds. I would never be able to function by going to College. It's a catch 22.

You should discuss with your dr. the pain you are in and tell him the current meds are not working and see what he comes up with.

Hope you feel better.
Kathy

Old 10-29-2010, 07:23 AM   #3
(female)

greatoldthings HB User

Kathy,

Thanks for the advice. I had thought about how narcotics would affect me at college, so I'm not sure I want to go there. I'm also allergic to tylenol so even if they did give me narcotics it could be vicodin or percoset. But I'm definitely going to ask for him to look into giving me other drugs. It just seems like he's reluctant to give me anything. Ah! What a mess.

Thanks again for the advice,
Resa

Old 10-29-2010, 10:07 AM   #4
(male)

ROSARK3 HB User

I just read your post and I am sorry to hear of the pain you are in. However getting a doctor to give you narcotics will be very hard if you are the one to suggest it. Also after a year or two on these types of meds, you will build up a tollorance to them. Once this happens the narcotics have a grip on you; (the body will become dependent as well as the mind) I am not trying to scare you away from a stronger pain med or narcotics , just keep in mind that the Dr or PM needs to be the one who suggests this line of pain treatment. I wish you the best of luck.

Old 10-29-2010, 09:48 PM   #5
(female)

greatoldthings HB User

I'm not sure I want to take narcotics anyway, because I really don't want to take them and be out of it during school. I just want something that will take away the pain and still let me live my life. If that's even possible. And I want to take something that can help me sleep. I wasn't about to go around asking my doctor for narcotics, I think he would assume I was a junkie if I did that.

Thanks!
Resa

Old 10-31-2010, 06:12 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

nochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatoldthings View Post
Nothing helps. Some days my pain is worse, some days are better, but the pain is always there. It makes it so I am unable to sleep.

My doctor has me on Tramadol and I take Motrin regularly. But neither work. I also take vitamins on a daily basis, but they don't seem to help me either. At least not that I have noticed. I am also using a Lidocaine Patch, which helps for about two hours at a time, but it doesn't help completely .

Resa
What you have is called chronic pain. You won't be able to sleep if you suffer from pain period. Most people can't sleep cause of chronic pain. I'm a little bit older than you, been to university thanks god before this chronic pain has even started.

Tramadol didn't help this pain I have. Advil did nothing.
How about Fentanyl patch?. have you tried that one?.
Some vitamins DO help chronic pain like Vitamin E + Selenium, Calcium +Vitamin D and magnesium but it all the depends on the dosage you take.

So far Oxycontin helped my pain but now they changed the way Oxycontin works so I, myself, don't know what to do next. For some people, oxycontin interfers with sleep cause it has some codeine in it from what I understand so anyway, so far I used to take oxycontin morning times.

There is morphine also. You won't be able to sleep if pain is not controlled.

I'm sad to hear you're 19 and suffer from pain. For me it started at the age of 35.

Let me know how you doing.

Old 10-31-2010, 08:52 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

tiggertoo2174 HB Usertiggertoo2174 HB Usertiggertoo2174 HB Usertiggertoo2174 HB User

Hi and welcome.

You have a difficult challenge ahead of you. It's going to be difficult to get a doctor to prescribe ongoing opiate therapy at your age and if you do get them you are going to have to try to balance pain relief with developing tolerance to the pain meds. While there is technically no upper limit to the amount of opiates a person can take, most Dr's have an upper limit of what they prescribe if for no other reason than the DEA will be on them if they do prescribe more. I would avoid asking for any specific medication. However, I would tell the doctor that you are in constant pain and the current medications aren't helping. I would also suggest staring a pain journal where you log your pain levels and activities several times a day. I know one thing that really helps me explain how things are going to my doctor is to tell her what I'm not able to do, and to tell her what I am now able to do because of the meds. It helps the doctor understand if I say "I can't walk on the treadmill for more than 5 minutes without my pain level going up to a 7 or 8", and then next visit "I am now able to walk for 30 minutes at 3.0 mph and have my pain stay at or below a 5 when I take the extra BT you prescribed for that last time", or "the current med schedule is working really well, I've been able to volunteer at the animal shelter once a month because my pain levels are staying around a 5". Specific examples really help the Dr evaluate how the pain is affecting your life. At this point you could consider taking just a short acting opiate when your pain is the worst. For example, take it when you get home from class and get by while in class.

I would also suggest asking the doctor about an anit-inflammatory that doesn't have as much potential to cause you stomach problems. Celebrex is great, but is expensive so check your insurance first. Another one is mobic and it comes in a generic that is on the $4 list. Even over the counter narpoxen is easier on your stomach than the motrin and might be more effective. You might also want to ask the Dr. to check your vitamin levels to see if you have any problems there, low levels of some vitamins can cause muscle pain. There are a number of other medications that can be used to help with pain, as well as injections and such that might be helpful, in particular there are medications that can help you sleep including over the counter benadryl.

A couple of things to think about, it might be easier for you to take some of your classes over the internet. Maybe you could try going to campus for one or two classes, maybe ones in your major, and pick up the generic stuff over the internet. You might also consider getting a handicap parking pass or having a friend drive you and let you off and pick you up at the door so you don't have to walk as much. I know you are young for that and probably don't want to do it, I'm 51 and strongly resist it, but you might have to make some changes to get your degree.

Sorry to go on for so long. Good luck.

Tigg.

Old 10-31-2010, 10:20 PM   #8
(female)

greatoldthings HB User

nochange and Tigg,

Thank you both for your advice and help. Perhaps it would be best not to suggest any painkillers but just let him do all the talking. I will emphasize how much the pain is affecting my life.

Tigg,
My Dad actually takes me to school and picks me up so I don't have to park and do a whole lot of walking. It's not my favorite thing but it does help. However I am on a large campus and two of my classes are pretty far away from each other, so that is not good at all. I do use my cane or crutch whenever I'm at school, and it helps a bit. I'm also going to take your advice and start a pain diary tomorrow. Maybe it will help not only my doctor but help me understand what triggers pain and what helps with pain.

Thanks again to both of you for your help and I will keep you updated.

Resa

Last edited by greatoldthings; 10-31-2010 at 10:21 PM.

Closed Thread