It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Chronic Pain Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-18-2010, 03:32 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

Isotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB User
One Norco a day, is this a problem?

I'm New here. Been in moderate pain for 17 years from GI surgery. A couple of years ago I started taking Norco 10/325 PRN. I manage to stay with 30 tabs in 30 days. Should I be worried, or should I be happy?

My PCP offered me OxyContin CR (10mg) to replace the Norco and I tried them for a few days but got a bit freaked out by the thought of going to work on them and going down a dangerous road so I stopped taking them and went back to Norco. Good idea?

Last edited by Isotope; 11-18-2010 at 12:16 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-18-2010, 07:51 AM   #2
(female)

greatoldthings HB User
Re: One Norco a day, is this a problem?

Hey,

I don't think one norco a day is gonna be a problem. Especially if they help with the pain. Many people on here take way more than that to manage their pain. Just a question, it's still managing the pain right? Because if it's not than maybe you should be asking for something else. But if it's still managing the pain than I think you're safe.

If you're worried about it you could always ask for other non-narcotic drugs to help deal with the pain. However norco are pretty strong and you might not find a non-narcotic drug to match it in taking the pain.

A quick suggestion, maybe you should make the transition to OxyCotin. OxyCotin doesn't have the Tylenol in it, and the Tylenol is what you should worry about! The narcotic may be addictive but it's the Tylenol that will destroy your stomach. Of course you can certainly try and prevent this as much as possible by drinking tons of water... so on so forth.

Hope I was somewhat helpful to you!

Resa

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-18-2010, 12:14 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Isotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB User

Thank you for your thoughts.

It has has taken some deliberate willpower to stay within my allotted 30 Norco per month. I mentioned this to my PCP. I stopped my brief run of OxyContin CR (10mg, b.i.d) so abruptly that it sent me into a nasty withdrawal for a few days (my first ever taste of withdrawals).

I trickled back onto to Norco and concluded that I might want to rethink jumping on the Oxy bus, and even the Norco since I do seem to have built up a need .... I'm sure the Oxy is great -It was just a bit scary.

I was also told that my withdrawal period was perhaps heightened by a few days on Oxy but that it was really a Norco withdrawal. I surprised that 1 Norco a day could do that?

Last edited by Administrator; 11-19-2010 at 12:35 AM. Reason: Clarification

Old 11-18-2010, 01:15 PM   #4
(female)

greatoldthings HB User

Yeah! I can take one Narco a day for months and go completely off them and not have any withdrawal symptom. I'm sorry that happened.

Have you ever considered getting some kind of pain patch?

It's just a suggestion, maybe you should look into it. Do you go to a pain management doctor or just to your primary to get pain meds?

As for the OxyContin I think the stuff works great, but it is hard to get yourself off it (so I've heard, I've never had problems getting off of anything, I think this is a miracle, to be honest). But then again if you NEED to take it I wouldn't be worried about getting addicted. I read an article saying that most pain patience don't get addicted to narcotics, they just form a physical dependence. If you need the narcotic you're in another boat from those who simply want to take it for the high. I don't know if that makes any sense, but I hope it does.

By the way I forgot to tell you welcome to the Health Forum! I'm pretty new here too but I find that people are for the most part very friendly and helpful. Hope you get the help you need!

Resa

Last edited by Administrator; 11-19-2010 at 12:34 AM.

Old 11-18-2010, 01:24 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Thanks again, so nice to meet you!

I guess I'm just conflicted.

Last edited by Isotope; 12-13-2010 at 05:04 PM.

Old 11-18-2010, 01:37 PM   #6
(female)

greatoldthings HB User

I have no idea, I've never been on anything that strong before.

I have an aunt who is a nurse, she always gives this speech about giving people the pain meds they need no matter how addictive they are because you need to first and foremost manage the pain. But when she had surgery on both her feet she didn't take the pain killers as often as she needed to because she was sooooooo afraid of getting addicted. People are so funny.

So are you saying you see what the narcotics do to people, so you are hesitant to do the same to yourself or something else entirely?

Nice to meet you too!
Resa

Old 11-18-2010, 01:43 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

Yes, yes. I have pain.

Last edited by Isotope; 12-13-2010 at 05:04 PM.

Old 11-18-2010, 01:49 PM   #8
(female)

greatoldthings HB User

I see. Just out of my own curiosity how bad is your pain?

Last edited by Administrator; 11-19-2010 at 12:37 AM.

Old 11-18-2010, 02:27 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

My pain is unfortunately real. I had Ulcerative Colitis for many years, high dose Prednisone, then ultimately non responsive to treatment. I had to have a total Colectomy and reconstruction, AKA, a J-Pouch. Most 'Pouchers' still have issues that become sort of like a new form of UC where the Pouch is attacked by the immune system. Not fun.

Norco seems to slow the gut, kill some of the pain, and generally lower my anxiety about it all. However, working has been getting more and more difficult.

Last edited by Isotope; 12-13-2010 at 05:05 PM.

Old 11-18-2010, 02:38 PM   #10
(female)

greatoldthings HB User

7 years of hip, lower back and leg pain plus severe migraines. I've had three hip surgeries where they, to put it simply, reshaped my hip. Now they are weirded out because I have too much rotation. I wonder why? Pshh.

I wasn't injured, I just started having hip pains, and slowly it made my back hurt and the pain started running down my leg. Now I'm questioning if the problem isn't in my back, but I'm not sure. They wanted to do a surgery where they rotate my hip socket so I don't have as much rotation, but as soon as my doctor started to talk about it he decided to move to New York. Not that it matters, because I wasn't willing to have a fourth surgery, especially since the surgeries I've had haven't worked. I'm in PT, going to the chiropractor, in massage therapy and am taking some pretty strong drugs. So far I'm still in a ton of pain, that's all I can really say. I have not solid answer as to why, maybe I'm imagining it like everyone has been telling me, but I don't think so.

By the way I'm totally crazy! I'm sitting in history ignoring the lesson because it's about World War II and I am such a know-it-all about World War II history that I never pay attention in class. And if that's not crazy enough I am especially knowledgeable in the Holocaust. I keep answering other student's questions.

But with that said I spend my days at school or at home in bed trying to not let the pain totally control my life. But it's hard, let me say. I don't know why my pain levels are so high, but they are and that is my life.

Thanks for reading,
Resa

Old 11-18-2010, 11:31 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(male)

jonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatoldthings View Post
Hey,

I don't think one norco a day is gonna be a problem. Especially if they help with the pain. Many people on here take way more than that to manage their pain. Just a question, it's still managing the pain right? Because if it's not than maybe you should be asking for something else. But if it's still managing the pain than I think you're safe.

If you're worried about it you could always ask for other non-narcotic drugs to help deal with the pain. However norco are pretty strong and you might not find a non-narcotic drug to match it in taking the pain.

A quick suggestion, maybe you should make the transition to OxyCotin. OxyCotin doesn't have the Tylenol in it, and the Tylenol is what you should worry about! The narcotic may be addictive but it's the Tylenol that will destroy your stomach. Of course you can certainly try and prevent this as much as possible by drinking tons of water... so on so forth.

Hope I was somewhat helpful to you!

Resa
Sorry, but tylenol DOES NOT destroy ones stomach, and at a dose of 325mg/day, does absolutly nothing!

The only thing you need to do is to take into account the acetaminophen in your norco if you are taking other acetminophen containing drugs (such as tylenol or excedrin)

You shouldnt go above 4000mg per day (this is the dose approved by the FDA in America, and equivalent orgainisations in virtualy every western country)

Old 11-19-2010, 02:06 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(male)

Nope, not taking any other Tylenol-like products. I was never too concerned about that as far as my stomach.

Plus side: Norco slows the gut, relieves pain, soothes nerves, and doesn't make me loopy. My job prevents me from escalating to Oxy-CR

Down side: Even at (1) Tab a day, I am at least psychologically if not physically dependent, somewhat tolerant.

Old 11-19-2010, 10:25 AM   #13
(male)

mju58 HB Usermju58 HB Usermju58 HB Usermju58 HB Usermju58 HB Usermju58 HB User

To the individual that asked how does one go to work on the pain patch or other higher doses of pain meds. Actually, because of "tolerance" most folks who take large doses of Oxycontin for a long period of time, exhibit no outward signs they take anything and can even operate motor vehicles like any other person. I personally have been on Oxy on and off for most of 15 years for chronic pain and I assure you, no one would ever ever suspect I take anything. I take 320mg a day (80mg x 4) and I have no trouble. Your body does adjust. Best of Luck to all!

Old 11-22-2010, 01:13 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

nochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB User

When you take oxycontin only for pain and not for getting "high" nobody can tell you're taking it. My doctor told me it goes directly to the pain. I doubt one Norco a day will last you for good, guarantee. YOu work for the hospital and you do not know that? sory not trying to blame you .... it's narcotics...as years go by you will need to increase the dose no matter what. I tell you what I do. I take oxycontin 40mg not every day. I take it in the morning. Try the tramadol extended release formula that lasts 24 hours. I hope it won't disrupts your sleep. Everyone is different. In order to know, you will have to try.

I feel you really suffer eventhough you're trying to kind of "hide" it. The fentanyl patch, lot's of nurses taking it and you're still allowed to work on it and it's legal. Did you know that? you can check it for yourself.

It's only the ibuprofen causes ulcer and stomach bleeding. They say Tyneol is much much safer than ibuprofen. I always thought it's 3000mg allowed by the FDA but perhaps things has been changed and now it's 4000mg? I don't take that amount anyway.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Old 11-22-2010, 11:24 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(male)

NoChange-

Thanks for the thoughts.

Closed Thread