It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Chronic Pain Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-19-2010, 01:46 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

Isotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB User
Are there differences in Pain Meds?

I'm considering asking my Doc to change up my Pain Meds. My Pain has been 2 decades of GI pain due to Inflammatory Bowel Disease and Surgery. A couple of years ago I inquired about Pain Meds and was given Norco which has been fairly good but I feel I've become tolerant and it seems less effective.

I'm curious to hear from people who have experienced differences between Hydrocodone, Oxycodone, Hydromorphone, or Oxymorphone.
Thank You for your Opinions!

Last edited by Isotope; 12-13-2010 at 04:07 PM. Reason: Typo

Old 11-19-2010, 09:28 AM   #2
(male)

mju58 HB Usermju58 HB Usermju58 HB Usermju58 HB Usermju58 HB Usermju58 HB User
Re: Are there differences in Pain Meds?

I replied to another post I think you were on regarding Norco. My personal experience has been that oxycodone and all of its relatives are the best for pain relief but unfortunately are probably the most addictive. I think they go hand in hand but I'm not 100% sure. With your particular problem, I think I'd worry about constipation to a degree. All of these meds made that problem worse but especially oxycontins. Best to you!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-19-2010, 12:21 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Isotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB User

Mju58-

Thanks for the reply. Constipation would be a gift for my condition. When I'm in an active phase of Pouchitis (inflammation of small bowel reconstruction) I can go to the bathroom 15-20 times a day! I'm sure you can imagine how sore the back end gets on those days.

Do you have any experience with Opana? Is it a better option than OxyContin?

Old 11-19-2010, 12:25 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

jonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB User

All the drugs you mention are pretty much created equal in the pain relief and addiction stakes, however, sometimes an individual finds that one suits them better than an other.

So, its largely a matter of trying one, any one, and if that doesnt quite suit, trying another, until you find what is best for you.

Oxycontin is probably the most popular, wether this is because it is somewhat better, or just because of better advertising, i dont know, but it would seem to be a good choice to start with.

Have you tried LA tramadol btw?

Last edited by jonnstar; 11-19-2010 at 12:56 PM.

Old 11-19-2010, 12:47 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

I heard that Tramadol was pretty universally hated by most? Is it a Codeine derivative? I'll look into it. Some others with my condition also take Tincture of Opium but it is difficult to obtain unless through a compounding pharmacy.

As I wrote in another thread, I did try OxyContin CR (10mg, b.i.d.), and yes it seemed to work very well but I was very loopy and dizzy, just couldn't go to work on it so I stopped and went back to Norco.

Old 11-19-2010, 12:52 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

jonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB User

I take tramadol and love it. it isnt a codeine derivative, it is a synthetic drug.

It is much less addictive than the high potency narcotics, so it might be worth trying before you step up to them.

Any strong narcotic will make you feel a bit loopy for a few days, it might be wise to take a weeks leave from work if you start taking one, so you can have that week at home to get used to the drug before you have to go to work on it.

Last edited by jonnstar; 11-19-2010 at 12:54 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to jonnstar For This Useful Post:
Isotope (11-19-2010)
Old 11-19-2010, 03:04 PM   #7
(male)

mju58 HB Usermju58 HB Usermju58 HB Usermju58 HB Usermju58 HB Usermju58 HB User
Re: The Appropriate Pain Med is...?

Sorry, but I have no experience with Opana. I will tell you that the loopy stuff will go away with a little time. Your body adjusts to the meds but you need to give it a chance to. Honestly, if you haven't taken much in the way of Oxy, it's quite a shock to the system and it makes total sense you'd really feel it, but hang with it. BTW, how long did you take the Oxy before you gave up? Best to You!

Old 11-20-2010, 01:42 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

.. I would like to try Opana's extended release offering but I hear that it is very expensive, and has the same can of worms attached to it as far as addiction and tolerance.

Last edited by Isotope; 12-13-2010 at 04:08 PM.

Old 11-21-2010, 11:54 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

nochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB User

I've been trying tramdadol extended release and it worked just fine. Perfect and not pain. 100% pain relief 24 hours. The only problem was is that I couldn't sleep even when I took sleeping pills. You should try it for one night, perhaps it won't affect your sleep. For example, I cannot take Oxycontin close to bedtime cause it has codeine in it, so I was told, and it disrupts sleep to some people.

You should try tramadol extended release for couple of days. That is less addictive than opana ER or Oxycontin or Oxycodone

Old 11-22-2010, 01:01 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

janiee08 HB Userjaniee08 HB Userjaniee08 HB Userjaniee08 HB Userjaniee08 HB Userjaniee08 HB Userjaniee08 HB User

No codeine in Oxycontin or Oxycodone....janiee.

Old 11-22-2010, 03:03 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(male)

I also ran across another option called Tapentadol (trade name Nucynta). Anyone have any experience with it?

Closed Thread