It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....



Chronic Pain Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-22-2010, 12:46 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: United States
Posts: 1,400
nochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB User
Worried about Topamax side effects

Hello. Yesterday I've started using topamax and I'm getting really worried.
I, again, couldn't sleep at night, and I just found out that it's one of its side effects. So I had to take clonazepam again. I'm trying badly (I'm 39) not to take anymore sleeping pills since been already tried everything in the market and they've already lost their effectiveness.

I"m on 50mg Topamax. Should I stop it? I'm really frustrated. I don't blame my doctor. It was my idea. WHat a nightmare is to have pain in the neck. It was so expensive to buy this topamax anyway but if it disrupts my sleep then what should I do.

So far I was ok with sleepytime tea for sleep plus two gabapentin and sometimes taking clonazepam. It's just that not enough pain control even with oxycontin 40mg.

SO WORRIED. PLEASE HELP ME.
I would like to mention that I cannot sleep cause of pain and not cause anxiety etc. it all started cause of the accident. cannot rest my neck on the pillow at all.

Last edited by nochange; 11-22-2010 at 12:47 AM.

 
Old 11-22-2010, 09:01 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Oak Hill, VA
Posts: 3,508
ibake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB User
Re: Worried about Topamax side effects

If the Nuerontin(Gabapentin) was working for you-somewhat-have you considered increasing the Neurontin, instead of starting on the Topomax? Do you take it just at night or all through the day? OR, if the topomax is keeping you up, try taking it earlier in the evening and see if that will help some.

I have been on both of them and have found that the Neurontin has fewer side effects for me than the Topomax-which caused me not to be able to remember my own son's name. It's called Dopepomax for a reason!

 
Sponsors Lightbulb
   
Old 11-22-2010, 12:01 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 506
janiee08 HB Userjaniee08 HB Userjaniee08 HB Userjaniee08 HB Userjaniee08 HB Userjaniee08 HB Userjaniee08 HB User
Re: Worried about Topamax side effects

I take Topamax 100 mg twice a day for peripheral neurapathy in my toes and have had much success with it. I have had no problems with my sleep or memory. Of course I didn't start at that dose. My neurologist slowly titrated my dose up till I got to the 200 mg a day. How do you know the Topamax was to blame for your insomnia last night? You do have a history of insomnia. I bet if you looked up 12 drugs, half of them at least would say they have the side effect of insomnia. Personally, I think you are giving up too soon. Therapeutic levels of Topamax are not normally achieved until you are taking 200mg a day. So, you won't find relief till you reach that level. Same with Neurontin(Gabapentin), it's therapeutic level is between 2800 and 3200mg/day. In other words, most people will not find relief till they reach these levels....janiee

 
Old 11-22-2010, 01:29 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: United States
Posts: 1,400
nochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB User
Re: Worried about Topamax side effects

Perhaps I should wait and see with topamax for a while. Not too happy when I read here you can get kidney stones also cause of it. While on Gabapentin I used to take 1200mg a day. When I took up to 2000mg gabapentin I've noticed no difference so I figured I go for 1200mg since it only helped a bit. Then one guy here said he takes 2 close to bed time I've tried that and it worked together with sleepytime.

I wonder if I can take topamax and gabapentin together.

 
Old 11-22-2010, 08:32 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 506
janiee08 HB Userjaniee08 HB Userjaniee08 HB Userjaniee08 HB Userjaniee08 HB Userjaniee08 HB Userjaniee08 HB User
Re: Worried about Topamax side effects

nochange, I would ask your doctor about taking the Topamax and Gabapentin(Neurontin) together. Also, I've read that Neurontin is being prescribed by some doctors to their patients who suffer from insomnia. Good Luck with whatever you decide!!....janiee

 
Old 11-27-2010, 09:27 PM   #6
Junior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Seattle, Wa USA
Posts: 13
LeslieJ50 HB User
Re: Worried about Topamax side effects

Quote:
Originally Posted by janiee08 View Post
nochange, I would ask your doctor about taking the Topamax and Gabapentin(Neurontin) together. Also, I've read that Neurontin is being prescribed by some doctors to their patients who suffer from insomnia. Good Luck with whatever you decide!!....janiee
I had no luck with Neurontin for Peripheral Neuropathy but Topamax slowly built up to 400mgs daily 200mg am & 200mg pm helped me to lose and maintain an over 100lb weight lost AND it helps with the pain. I only use Tramadol ER 100mg 4x's daily and a MMJ cream with massage oil 3-4x's daily. After 3 yrs, we did cut back the Topamax in half as we had reached a toxic level. I also suffer with insomnia and take Halcion .25 daily whichs works fine

 
Old 11-28-2010, 03:03 AM   #7
Newbie
(female)
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: charlotte,nc usa
Posts: 1
spondygurl1 HB User
Re: Worried about Topamax side effects

I have been on Topamax for 6 years and I have found it is best to titrate SLOWLY. My Dr started me first on 50 mg daily and I was a wreck. I suggested we drop to 25 a day for two weeks then 37.5 for a week then the 50 and everything was great. I sleep great and my pain is controlled. of course I am on Xanax,Vicodin and Fentanel also but the dopey affect subsided when I staarted slow and went back up slow.I went back to 50 in the morning and 50 in evening and have stayed at 100 for 4 years.. Keep having then move the dosages around until you are comfortable. At least they are generic now so its easier to get multiple scripts to play around with. I have 25 mg.50 12.5 and 100 mg bott;es and my dr and I switch them around to do whats right for my body.

 
Old 11-28-2010, 11:40 AM   #8
Junior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Seattle, Wa USA
Posts: 13
LeslieJ50 HB User
Re: Worried about Topamax side effects

Spondygurl1...I started Topamax in 2003.. and you're OH, SO RIGHT.. Start low! My Dr had me start @ 25mg and (as I remember...afterall it's nicknamed Dope-amax for a reason, right?) it took several months to reach the 200mg am & 200mg pm dose. I was at that dose for several years and lost a lot of weight before comeing down to 100mg am & pm... I'm glad you find comfort no matter what form it comes in Darlin.. Peace, is precious so find it wherever you can!

 
Old 11-28-2010, 10:14 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: United States
Posts: 1,400
nochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB User
Re: Worried about Topamax side effects

I don't know why I'm starting to develop this abdominal pain. It worries me. I read over here on the internet it's a side effects since this topamax is a very powerful drug(no wonder it works on my neck pain ie almost no neck pain, it's as strong as Oxycontin). but with oxycontin i didn't have stomach pain.

why is that stomach pain?. It's no kidding here and I'm not trying to joke here with anyone. I also realized I don't want to eat anymore at all, that's quite interesting. A diet pill. I feel full right away. that doesn't worry me. who cares. But stomach pain worries me. I'm sure when I get back to my doctor he will tell me it's not from this, it's probably cause I"m a nervous wreck. He will just roll his eyes and will say what's next. 7 days here on topamax. Am I sensitive to it? all I know is that it's a POWERFUL drug, otherwise it won't help neck pain.

anybody here who heard about abdominal pain and Topamax etc and was WARNED about this please let me know.

really appreciate your responses and worried cause it really WORKS but now the pain SHIFTED to the stomach. The abdominal pain is constant.

Please help if you know anything about it etc.
Oh and I'm on 50mg a day. one pill a day. My doctor wanted me on 50mg x 2 and now I see that's it's a no-no.
Perhaps I should take 25mg? not sure anymore.

Last edited by nochange; 11-28-2010 at 10:17 PM.

 
Old 11-28-2010, 11:07 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(male)
 
jonnstar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,873
jonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB User
Re: Worried about Topamax side effects

Do simple antacids (Tums, Mylanta) help the stomach pain?
__________________
The desire to take medicines is what seperates man from the lower animals - William Ostler

Multiple anecdotes do not equal evidence - Me

 
Old 11-29-2010, 01:49 PM   #11
Junior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Seattle, Wa USA
Posts: 13
LeslieJ50 HB User
Re: Worried about Topamax side effects

Quote:
Originally Posted by nochange View Post
I don't know why I'm starting to develop this abdominal pain. It worries me. I read over here on the internet it's a side effects since this topamax is a very powerful drug(no wonder it works on my neck pain ie almost no neck pain, it's as strong as Oxycontin). but with oxycontin i didn't have stomach pain.

why is that stomach pain?. It's no kidding here and I'm not trying to joke here with anyone. I also realized I don't want to eat anymore at all, that's quite interesting. A diet pill. I feel full right away. that doesn't worry me. who cares. But stomach pain worries me. I'm sure when I get back to my doctor he will tell me it's not from this, it's probably cause I"m a nervous wreck. He will just roll his eyes and will say what's next. 7 days here on topamax. Am I sensitive to it? all I know is that it's a POWERFUL drug, otherwise it won't help neck pain.

anybody here who heard about abdominal pain and Topamax etc and was WARNED about this please let me know.

really appreciate your responses and worried cause it really WORKS but now the pain SHIFTED to the stomach. The abdominal pain is constant.

Please help if you know anything about it etc.
Oh and I'm on 50mg a day. one pill a day. My doctor wanted me on 50mg x 2 and now I see that's it's a no-no.
Perhaps I should take 25mg? not sure anymore.
You most d*****ately want to start low and build up on this drug... As this will lessen the side affects. And YES, I also suffer from stomach pain 7yrs on Topamax... And lower back pain.... And urinary incontinance.. And hair loss..
But... It helped me lose weight to rival bariatric surgery, only I've maintained the loss 7yrs now... And it helped me to control how I feel about food and my relationship to it in my life. I now eat to survive, I no longer survive to eat!

 
Old 11-29-2010, 10:03 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: United States
Posts: 1,400
nochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB User
Re: Worried about Topamax side effects

what did your doc say about your stomach pain.? Yesterday I took 25mg Topamax I just cut it 50mg in half. Less pain in my stomach, still pain but less pain. Are you taking tums for it. I was able to sleep without sleeping pills(took 6 magnesium pills, not all once, I scattered then all day, and then together with it calcium and 2000 IU vitain D also helps in sleep.

my grandmother, I'm not 100%, sure had stomach problems all her life cause of stress so that's why I'm wondering if I should keep taking topamax. I'm realy really HAPPY with. I'm starting to get really depressed casue of neck pain. First time in 5 years, I don't feel pain in the neck. It actually works.

As for losing weight;;;I'm 5'4, 100lbs (46kg) skinny. I'm dont' need to lose weight. ve always been a skinny kid. Not too much appetite. I took it from my grandmother. Genetics.

So if you're now reading this , dear leslie, please let me know what your doctor has prescribed you for stomach pain.

Long story short, nothing short with me;;;but woke up at 2am last night after 4 hours asleep as usual, with stomach pain, took 4 mg clonazepam that didn't help much with sleep;;; I guess all my body needs and wants is 4 hours sleep. add to it our good friend ie Oxycontin 40mg and no more stomach pain for now. Oxycontin KILLS stomach pain.

Are you taking Tums for stomach pain?. What did your doctor recommend you? I know doctor have meds to protect your stomach. any ideas?

Really sorry I had to type so much. I'm pretty much a living with chronic pain in this world.

Thanks buddy

Last edited by nochange; 11-29-2010 at 10:16 PM.

 
Old 11-30-2010, 12:35 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(male)
 
jonnstar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,873
jonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB User
Re: Worried about Topamax side effects

A Zantac (or the Costco genric) 150mg twice a day might help protect your stomach and ease the discomfort, and allow you to keep taking this med thats been effective for you.
__________________
The desire to take medicines is what seperates man from the lower animals - William Ostler

Multiple anecdotes do not equal evidence - Me

 
Old 11-30-2010, 01:50 PM   #14
Junior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Seattle, Wa USA
Posts: 13
LeslieJ50 HB User
Re: Worried about Topamax side effects

Quote:
Originally Posted by nochange View Post
what did your doc say about your stomach pain.? Yesterday I took 25mg Topamax I just cut it 50mg in half. Less pain in my stomach, still pain but less pain. Are you taking tums for it. I was able to sleep without sleeping pills(took 6 magnesium pills, not all once, I scattered then all day, and then together with it calcium and 2000 IU vitain D also helps in sleep.

my grandmother, I'm not 100%, sure had stomach problems all her life cause of stress so that's why I'm wondering if I should keep taking topamax. I'm realy really HAPPY with. I'm starting to get really depressed casue of neck pain. First time in 5 years, I don't feel pain in the neck. It actually works.

As for losing weight;;;I'm 5'4, 100lbs (46kg) skinny. I'm dont' need to lose weight. ve always been a skinny kid. Not too much appetite. I took it from my grandmother. Genetics.

So if you're now reading this , dear leslie, please let me know what your doctor has prescribed you for stomach pain.

Long story short, nothing short with me;;;but woke up at 2am last night after 4 hours asleep as usual, with stomach pain, took 4 mg clonazepam that didn't help much with sleep;;; I guess all my body needs and wants is 4 hours sleep. add to it our good friend ie Oxycontin 40mg and no more stomach pain for now. Oxycontin KILLS stomach pain.

Are you taking Tums for stomach pain?. What did your doctor recommend you? I know doctor have meds to protect your stomach. any ideas?

Really sorry I had to type so much. I'm pretty much a living with chronic pain in this world.

Thanks buddy
My Dr has me on Tramadol Extended Release no more than 4 tabs/daily... Similar to Oxy, I hear, but I am allergic to opiates, break out bad... I think that's why I'm on Tramadol. I also have the fast release for for break through pain. And I am a MMJ (Green Card) patient.. I find GREAT pain relief in the use of topical, ingestion and smokable use of MMJ. Creams & Massage oils are AMAZING!

 
Old 11-30-2010, 07:23 PM   #15
Inactive
(female)
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 5,070
katlin09 HB User
Re: Worried about Topamax side effects

Quote:
Originally Posted by nochange View Post
Hello. Yesterday I've started using topamax and I'm getting really worried.
I, again, couldn't sleep at night, and I just found out that it's one of its side effects. So I had to take clonazepam again. I'm trying badly (I'm 39) not to take anymore sleeping pills since been already tried everything in the market and they've already lost their effectiveness.

I"m on 50mg Topamax. Should I stop it? I'm really frustrated. I don't blame my doctor. It was my idea. WHat a nightmare is to have pain in the neck. It was so expensive to buy this topamax anyway but if it disrupts my sleep then what should I do.

So far I was ok with sleepytime tea for sleep plus two gabapentin and sometimes taking clonazepam. It's just that not enough pain control even with oxycontin 40mg.

SO WORRIED. PLEASE HELP ME.
I would like to mention that I cannot sleep cause of pain and not cause anxiety etc. it all started cause of the accident. cannot rest my neck on the pillow at all.
Can I ask what your taking the Topomax for? It's not generally a pain control med. I've taken it for 7 yrs. for migraines and seizures. Actually one of Topomax's main side effects is drowsiness. Are you sure that "its" interrupting your sleep and that its not just one of your other meds doing it? Also, it may take your body a little while to get used to the pharmacological change, esp. with the other drugs in your system, you might want to give it a little longer.

I can say the only side effect I've ever had from it, is that I lost 47lbs in 6 weeks when i started it. It does cause you to lose weight, so you have to make sure your eating correctly.

 
Closed Thread

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Board Replies Last Post
Honest opinions of Topamax required. punkycat Headaches & Migraines 45 06-08-2011 10:52 AM
Topamax and Anxiety kandiceann83 Headaches & Migraines 1 10-07-2009 04:07 PM
Side effects of TOPAMAX geye Epilepsy 10 12-10-2007 10:58 AM
Topamax Side Effects R_Ann Headaches & Migraines 19 08-18-2007 03:12 PM
Topamax - side effects nin5677 Headaches & Migraines 7 10-06-2006 10:14 AM




Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Join Our Newsletter

Stay healthy through tips curated by our health experts.

Whoops,

There was a problem adding your email Try again

Thank You

Your email has been added








TOP THANKED CONTRIBUTORS



gmak (39), katlin09 (20), tortoisegirl (18), BB07 (16), cspineguy (16), Moldova (14), Shoreline (14), jonnstar (11), LadyBassPlayer (11), nochange (9)

Site Wide Totals

teteri66 (1139), MSJayhawk (942), Apollo123 (859), janewhite1 (823), Titchou (773), Gabriel (743), ladybud (667), sammy64 (666), midwest1 (655), BlueSkies14 (610)



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:32 AM.



Site owned and operated by HealthBoards.com™
Copyright and Terms of Use © 1998-2014 HealthBoards.comô All rights reserved.
Do not copy or redistribute in any form!