It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Chronic Pain Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-23-2010, 10:14 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

nochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB User
what is lamictal and is it for chronic pain?

Hello. What is Lamictal and is there anybody here who has been using it for chronic neck pain?? Any side effects?

At this moments I'm using Topamax but already have side effects and a little bit worried. It works ok and pain not so bad...I'm on a low dose of 50mg a day and I don't suffer from this debilitating neck pain so much you know and only you WHO SUFFER from this debilitating NECK PAIN knows what it it means. Even your doctor cannot understand what it means to live day in day out with neck pain.

I don't plan on taking more than 50mg of Topamax due to its ill side effects.

BUT as I said I already have SIDE EFFECTS. like acne on my hand...what is that??? I know it's from Topamax it's a side effects from it and it WILL come together with losing hair next...that's what I've read and that's not a good sign.
Should I just stick with narcotic and increase dose every week??? That's MY problem. I have high tolerance to narcotic pain medication.

In the beginning I thought it's infection on my hand haha not really. or insect bite noway. then I read on the internet side effects are acne plus losing hair and those come together when you take Topamax for SOME people.

So please anybody tell me about Lamictal, if you have been using it. Please tell me about lamictal.
All the best

P.S perhaps I should just stay on a low dose of 50mg Topamax and that's it???

Last edited by nochange; 11-23-2010 at 10:26 PM.

Old 11-24-2010, 08:08 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

jonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB User
Re: what is lamictal and is it for chronic pain?

It is an anticonvulsant (which like many anticonvulsants) has found a role in pain management, particularly neuropathic pain.

You need to start off on a very low dose, and increase slowly over weeks to months to prevent a rare but serious skin eruption.

Multiple anecdotes do not equal evidence - Me

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-24-2010, 09:58 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

nochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB User

THank you so much for your reply. I will consider this.

Old 11-24-2010, 10:58 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

jonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB User

Given any more thought to trying Celebrex NC?

Old 11-24-2010, 11:23 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

What is NC?. I know what is Celebrex and it's not that expensive. I will go to my doctor and get a prescription for it next appointment. But that won't be next week. I can't go there all the time. getting really tired of going there.

It didn't work for Sammy, but perhaps it will work for me, who knows?. I will try everything for this debilitating neck pain everything but "medical" marijuana period.

Once I get the prescription, I'll let you know if it works. Thx so much all the best.

Last edited by nochange; 11-24-2010 at 11:24 PM.

Old 11-24-2010, 11:58 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

NC is you, nochange

You start to feel guilty going into the doctors all the time, like they will be sick of seeing you, or you're wasting their time.

With the Celebrex, some people need 1 x 200mg caps per day, others need 2 x 200, so if 1 per day doesnt work, dont give up.

I doubt it will cure your neck pain, but along with your oxycontin and other meds, it might add another measure of releif

Old 04-03-2011, 04:24 PM   #7
(male)

inkedpastrychef HB User

It is an anti-convulsant that is used for neopathic pain. It is also used off label for psychiatric use.

Old 04-03-2011, 07:59 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User

Lamictal's main use is for the treatment of BiPolar Disorder. If you do take this drug you have to be very careful and diligent in checking for signs of any type of rash on your body. This rash is a deadly side effect of Lamictal, and not to be taken lightly.

Old 04-03-2011, 09:46 PM   #9
(male)

Kevink HB User

Hi Kat

Is Lamictin the same thing as Lamictal?
I am in South Africa, so I guess it could be.

I was diagnosed with Bipolar Disorder 3 weeks ago.
Was first misdiagnosed with Depression and Anxiety so was taking Serlife 150mg, Rivotril 2mg per day(Sometimes I would even take up to 5mg of Rivotril in a day , just in case)
I was on the meds for approximately 18 months but the final straw was when I rolled my car in a state of Hyper Mania (Highly intoxcicated , drank about a bottle of rum and 3g of C....)

I am now taking 75mg of Lamictin , 1mg of Rivotril and 25mg of Seroquel(too sleep).
Will be moving onto 100mg Lamictin from this week Friday.
No rass or any side affect to date.

Would there be a change that I have to start taking Lithium (I am already a big boy at a 11Okg and do not want to gain more weight)

Any comments and my current meds?

Great site btw.

Take care

Old 04-04-2011, 04:05 AM   #10
(male)

inkedpastrychef HB User

I am Bi-polar as well. I am not sure if the drugs are the samebut I do take Lamictal. I take 400 mg. of Lamotrigine - which is the generic equivelent. My psych drugs also include Abilify - 10 mg. and Lithium 1500 mg.

I have been Bi-polar since I was a kid. It is a struggle every day and is as bad as the worst chonic pain. But no one sees it because it is inside of you every minute of the day and night. It totally sucks and makes me cry at times.

Thake care of yourself and be mindful of what you say and do - especially important to you and I - David

Old 04-04-2011, 11:01 AM   #11
(male)

Kevink HB User

Hi David

I cannot agree more, definately a struggle.
I have to avoid most of my friends and any social event where there is any alcohol involved.( I do have friends that support me , but most do not understand the condition)

I have been totally clean for over a month and have found a new way in dealing with my condition (Quad Bike racing and Dirt Bike Enduro)
When a feel a bit Hyper I just get on the bike and ride for hours.

I wish you all the best and keep in touch.

Kev

Old 04-04-2011, 06:25 PM   #12
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User

Kev,

Yes Lamictin is the same as Lamictal. On the boards here there is a BiPolar board, lots of great people and support. If you and Inked want to continue this discussion we should probably move it the BiPolar board, as it's way off topic for the Chronic Pain board.

Kat

Old 04-05-2011, 02:32 PM   #13
(male)

Kevink HB User

Thank you Kat, was just curious.

Still new to the site so not always sure where to post comments(Just caught my eye)

Kev

Old 04-06-2011, 01:25 PM   #14
Inactive
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevink View Post
Thank you Kat, was just curious.

Still new to the site so not always sure where to post comments(Just caught my eye)

Kev

Kev,

sure no problem. but seriously you should check out the BiPolar board, it's great, lots of great supportive folks. and lots of meds experince over there. I'd be glad to talk with you more about the lamictal and BP over there.

Kat

Closed Thread