It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Chronic Pain Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-15-2010, 05:09 PM   #1
(female)

mimamma HB User
Pain med switcharoo

Hello!

Within the past two weeks I have gone from methadone to the Duragesic patch and back to methadone again. My pm doc decided to switch me from 40mg a day of methadone to 50mcg fentanyl due to my tolerance to the methadone as well as an undesirable side effect (sweating). The last two weeks have been a nightmare. Hard core withdrawals from the methadone. After a week straight of not sleeping my doc has taken me off of the patch and put me back on methadone. My question is, have I jumped from the frying pan into the fire? Is it possible that I will now withdrawal from the fentanyl? My doc says no but he also told me I would not have withdrawals from the methadone when I started the patch. I know that methadone hits some receptors that fentanyl does not. That explains why I went into withdrawals. Iím hoping this fact also means methadone will be hitting all of the receptors that the fentanyl did therefore keeping me from withdrawing from it. Is this feasible or just wishful thinking? Has anyone made the switch from the patch to methadone? Can you tell me how it went and fill me in on what I may have to look forward to?

Thanks!
Shannon

Old 12-15-2010, 05:52 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User
Re: Pain med switcharoo

Honestly you really weren't on the patch long enough to develop a dependency on it, you should be fine. Unless you just have an extraordinarily sensitive system, it takes quite a bit longer than a week to develop a chemical dependency to a drug.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-15-2010, 08:17 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

jonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB User
Re: Pain med switcharoo

Agreed, not long enough to develop dependency, plus methadone covers all opiate receptors covered by other opoids, but not all other opoids can cover methadone.

Hope you feel better for the change back.

Multiple anecdotes do not equal evidence - Me

Closed Thread