It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Chronic Pain Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-30-2010, 02:37 PM   #1
(female)

mombomb HB Usermombomb HB Usermombomb HB User
Anybody ever tried an 'anti-flammatory' diet?

I met somebody on-line (not on these boards) that has a very similar problem to mine, chronic tendinitis in multiple areas. First time I've ever met someone like me! She's improved her condition drastically by changing her diet. Eating over-all healthier and more naturally; no processed foods, no wheat, potatoes, red meat, sugar, etc. Everything I've read on-line really supports this type of eating in reducing inflammation. My daughter is a Natural Chef and has tried to get me to change my diet for years. I'm going to give it a shot. Anybody else try diet changes for similar reasons?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-30-2010, 03:58 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

EagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB User
Re: Anybody ever tried an 'anti-flammatory' diet?

Yes! I did this diet as part of the treatment program for my Hashimotos disease, and autoimmune disease that attacks the thyroid. We used the diet to start with to identify foods I had allergies to, as it was critical to get those foods out of my diet so that my body wouldn't be producing antibodies to the foods that would in turn attack my thyroid. It's not an easy diet at first- it requires a lot of commitment on your part- but in my opinion, the diet is completely worth doing. One, I got a whole lot healthier on the diet. I mean, I FELT better. A LOT better. Two, I lost a lot of weight, while eating all I wanted to eat. And once you get past the psychology of all the things you can't eat, there are still a ton of things you CAN eat. In my case, I did ease up on the restrictions some once we realized I didn't have a gluten intolerance and so I do allow myself some pasta and what not, but I still completely avoid processed foods and cook my meals from scratch. I have found that I can eat many foods served at Japanese and Thai restaurants which allows me to go out to dinner occasionally.

I followed my doctor's advice and also used a book called, "The anti-inflammation diet and recipe book" by Jessica Black, ND which helped me to understand which foods to cut out and gave me some recipe ideas.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-31-2010, 07:58 AM   #3
(female)

mombomb HB Usermombomb HB Usermombomb HB User

Thats great Eagle! Thats what Im hoping for. I have my own little 'nutritionist' to help me and Im familiar with healthy eating, as I've watched her do it for years. I'm excited. Sure hope it makes a difference. Even if it doesnt help the pain, I'm sure I'll feel better and thats got to help! Dropping a couple lbs would be nice too!

Old 01-02-2011, 12:43 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

zoey1 HB User

Eagle i understand perfectly. Op i did change the way i eat, to mostly the Atkins diet. I ended up losing about 60 pounds keeping it off. While it did not change my flare ups or pain levels. It did help with knees swelling, ankles swelling, and times i was doing ok more energy.
While from time to time i crave fat i rarely give into now days.
For me mostly meat & salad or greens. All or most whole grain whole wheat, including pasta cereal and only 2 percent milk once in a while.
As a result of the change i crave, fresh fruit ( that is my treat)> for the most part i have seen some improvement in sugar levels and energy.

The Following User Says Thank You to zoey1 For This Useful Post:
EagleRiverDee (01-02-2011)
Closed Thread