It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Chronic Pain Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2011, 07:36 PM   #1
(female)

cinci32andi95 HB User
acupuncture for chronic pain

Does acupuncture for chronic pain really help and work? I've been getting acupuncture about every two weeks, and have not really seen a change for my chronic abdominal pain. I get ear seeds with my acupuncture as well. I would like to think that the ear seeds help when I am in pain but I really can't say yet. Is the acupuncture suppose to work right away or more over time thing? Also is more needles better?

The following user gives a hug of support to cinci32andi95:
Moldova (01-15-2011)
Old 01-15-2011, 02:05 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Moldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB User
Re: acupuncture for chronic pain

Dear heart, I hear your concern.
I am originally from Europe and can tell you that acupuncture was one of the natural healing for thousands of years in Europe, Greece and Asia and other. The only suggestion I have for you is the make sure that person who you go to has years of experience of doing acupuncture. Area where I live now has about 10 acupuncture clinics, but seems that only one, Dr. Sum, has very busy schedule and great reputation: to get an app with him takes about 2 month. He is excellent DR and helped people who were told need surgery to fix their health issues.
I have a friend who got "tennis elbow", and who was told that only surgery may help her. She went to see DR. Sum and after 20 treatments she went back to play tennis after being 2 years in agony. She tried month of PT, but nothing really worked.
I never heard about "seeds in a ear", but I cant say enough good words about acupuncture. I had it done many times for a different reasons myself. You have to be patient though; if they tell you need minimum of 20 sessions - they are right. Sometimes after 15 sessions I was wondering if this every works on my problem and miraculously after 20-25 times I was able to forget
what was my problem about. I am not a DR. and don't really know what is your problem, sweetie. I presume that some problems may be more serious and advanced then others. But if you diagnosed right and he/she works on right pressure points, you will feel so much better.
Just look for a right place and a good, knowledgeable Dr... and think positive, this is also very important.

Best of luck to you!
Moldova

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-15-2011, 02:47 PM   #3
(female)

cinci32andi95 HB User

Thanks so much. I have not been to the clinic to much only five times. So I will give the acupunture so time. I didn't know that it can take 20 app. to start to feel a change in the pain. Thanks! I feel reasured now! ^.^

Old 01-15-2011, 03:15 PM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

Moldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB User

I am glad i could help you. If I wouldn't know about acupuncture myself or if I wouldn't learn about this wonderful natural healing from other people, I would never reply to your post. I love to talk about areas familiar to me.
It take years for us to neglect our bodies, to work when we sick (I am very guilty of this too!!) to ignore when body tells us "oouch" and unfortunately to fix our health issues does take a long time sometimes. But hey! If after only after 20 sessions you will feel better - this is blessing, is in it?
Worse when more serious invasions needed, like surgery for example...
So lets hope for the best, OK?

If you can, please let me know how did you end up feeling when treatments will be done. I want to know for myself as well.
All the best to you,
Moldova

The Following User Says Thank You to Moldova For This Useful Post:
cinci32andi95 (01-15-2011)
Old 01-16-2011, 12:40 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

nochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB User

I have heard you need 3 treatments and then you know. Not 20. That is what they told me at the Pain Clinic. They told me The accupuncture is mainly for sleep, not for pain.
I did not even try it. I do not think it is dangerous if it is done with professionals and sterile needles. make sure of that one.

Old 01-16-2011, 09:06 AM   #6
Facilitator
(female)

Nonchange, thank you for input, but this is why I say how important to go to places where they have enough knowledge about treatments.
Since acupuncture is relatively new in US i can imagine that someone doesn't know what they are talking about... Acupuncture is for sleep and not for pain?
Very hard for me to imagine that someone, at pain clinic, can be this ignorant, really.
Cinci32,
If you really need to know about acupuncture, you have to get really good and very experienced Doctor. Luckily we do have them and they all can tell you how many sessions one must get before they some relieve. Unfortunately we are not allowed to share any links here; but if you go on Internet, you can read a lot of helpful information there.
And of course so many people and so many opinions. But to make your own - you must go to reputable place and knowledgeable Doctors. Like everything in this life, is in it?

Best of luck to you,
Moldova

Old 01-16-2011, 12:42 PM   #7
(female)

cinci32andi95 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moldova View Post
Nonchange, thank you for input, but this is why I say how important to go to places where they have enough knowledge about treatments.
Since acupuncture is relatively new in US i can imagine that someone doesn't know what they are talking about... Acupuncture is for sleep and not for pain?
Very hard for me to imagine that someone, at pain clinic, can be this ignorant, really.
Cinci32,
If you really need to know about acupuncture, you have to get really good and very experienced Doctor. Luckily we do have them and they all can tell you how many sessions one must get before they some relieve. Unfortunately we are not allowed to share any links here; but if you go on Internet, you can read a lot of helpful information there.
And of course so many people and so many opinions. But to make your own - you must go to reputable place and knowledgeable Doctors. Like everything in this life, is in it?

Best of luck to you,
Moldova
I talked to my guy yesterday! I asked a few questions and he says for my type of treatment it will take a little time.

I'm very happy to tell y'all that I feel oddly great! I still have my symptoms but I'm almost pain free today its really good because I've felt like crap lately. My guy added a new spot on my foot.....I think it worked!

Thanks everyone, I needed a little reasuring

Old 01-16-2011, 04:26 PM   #8
Facilitator
(female)

Cinci32,
this is such a great news!!!! I am so happy for you!!!

Unfortunately very easy to get sick and takes a long time (some cases longer then others) and patience to get better. You are on a right track and seems to me that your acupuncturist knows his job well. Of course, treatments are not cheap and would be nice if they would work from first or second time,but it not happening...
Also I believe in positive attitude and a good smile! You know what else is great? Meditation and if you can - yoga.
I used to be in gym at least 5 days a week; did high impact cardio, free weights and weight machines. And I done 3 times a week yoga. Besides yoga is great for our bodies, it great for our mind. I cant do gym anymore and can't do serious yoga anymore. I was told by my Doctors that yoga can be done by everyone on regular basis just watch what is good for you and be careful. Stretch muscles, keep them warm and flexible - it helps the joints to be healthier. And of course meditation helps to keep our mind happy, relaxed and strong...
My PM suggested me a book written by a Dr in NYC who had many spinal surgeries as well as me due to his ski accident. He became disabled but before his accident he was a Pain Mgmt Dr. - he wrote couple books on how to coop and live with severe Chronic Pain. How to coop with it day by day. So this disabled Dr talks in his books about power of meditation...
He suggested to buy meditation tapes, buy ear phones and listen them in a quiet room. Honey, I have to tell you - what a miracle.!
I bought 6 tapes at "B&N" and listen my favorite ones every single day, in a bad days sometimes couple of times. Relaxes your mind and since your mind relaxed, you sleep better, it means helps your muscles to be more relaxed and this helps pain as well... And also helps you to understand how beautiful life still is, this is so important for our well being...

Happy for you!
Moldova

Old 01-16-2011, 05:15 PM   #9
(female)

cinci32andi95 HB User

My doctors are great, im on a plan were I see many different people. My PT tells me to go to the gym and I do! I play sports as well so it helps with staying well when I do conditioning. I normaly feel good afterwards too. And I Have done a womens yoga class, and it was great. I think meditation tapes is a little much for me, but another doctor told me, to calm down when I feel really really bad, to try and imagine a favorite place. It works well for me. Thanks again! It means a lot, I'm still trying to get use to my life changes. This Helps me get through the day^.^

Last edited by cinci32andi95; 01-16-2011 at 05:37 PM.

Old 01-16-2011, 06:06 PM   #10
(female)

msgenerallee HB Usermsgenerallee HB Usermsgenerallee HB Usermsgenerallee HB Usermsgenerallee HB Usermsgenerallee HB Usermsgenerallee HB Usermsgenerallee HB Usermsgenerallee HB User

acupuncture for sleep only ? never heard that !
my pain dr is also a neurologist and does acupuncture. i have talked to him about acu, and he has not said that about sleep. he does it for pain and all sorts of things. he is going to run it by my insurance and see if they will pay for acu. my ins health nurse said if he writes it up correctly at pre-approval, since he is a pain dr and not just acupuncturist or chiro, they may very well approve it. i want to at least try it and see if it helps. nasty old epidural helped none at all- actually made it worse..

Old 01-17-2011, 04:22 PM   #11
Facilitator
(female)

msgenerallee,
Acupuncture heals our body. Helps inflammation, relaxes muscles and organs (depends for what problem it used; they use specific pressure points which belongs to particular part of our bodies), brings blood circulation to a weak/ill areas which also helps to heal... Even helps to get pregnant for some people who have problem in this matter. And of course because we heal, sleep gets better, pain is getting better as well. But this is not a magic treatment although for some people is; all depends on severity of issue. For example it can't help my CP due to damages done to my spine and Arachnoidities. But it may benefit my pain caused by Rheumatoid Arthritis and MS, b/c it helps with inflammation . I cant be cured, but it may help pain.
Wishing you all the best with your treatments.

cinci32,
definitely not easy mentally to get use to life changes. As strong as I am, I had very hard time to adjust to my totally new life. I went for my back surgery knowing that I will be back at work in 6 weeks. Needless to say that news about permanent disability and a cluster of auto-immune diseases in a next 3 years was total shock to me. I was very happy working at my wonderful job and the thought of leaving it was unbearable.

But like they say"God doesn't give us more then we can handle" somehow we find inner strength to survive everything and anything...

I am glad to hear you are doing good!
Hugs, Moldova

Old 01-18-2011, 02:33 PM   #12
(female)

mombomb HB Usermombomb HB Usermombomb HB User

Accupuncture did not help my chronic tendinitis, however, I know of other people that it has helped. My daughter swears by it for her back pain due to scoliosis. It takes her 2-3 sessions to get her pain under control. Good luck!

Old 01-18-2011, 09:23 PM   #13
Facilitator
(female)

Mom,
this is what exactly I am saying: b/c we all so unique each treatment works for some and not for others. I wish they would have some miracle treatments which works for everyone, but...

So happy to hear that it works for your daughter; my son had this done many times for same reason and it worked great for many years. But he is 25 now and his problem got worse and nothing works anymore. He also doesn't baby's himself or protect his back a little, you know young boys, they feel they invincible... :-)

Blessings, Moldova

Closed Thread