It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Chronic Pain Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-28-2011, 10:36 AM   #1
(female)

mombomb HB Usermombomb HB Usermombomb HB User
OMG! Wonder if this is what happened to me?!

So, my pain background is this, I have chronic tendinitis in both of my arms, all the joints and the forearms. It's nowhere else on my body, only my arms. I've had quite a few surgeries and am in pain management now. The really frustrating part is that there is no cause for it. 9 Dr's and many many tests show no underlying reason for this.
I stumbled upon some information this morning about a class of antibiotics called 'fluroquinolines'. I dont know if I'm allowed to copy and paste from the articles I read, but what they said is that it's used to treat bacterial infections, commonly UTI's, and that it increases the risk of tendinitis by as much as 400%. The first reports of this were in 1992 and the FDA 'black boxed' it in 2008. There have been many cases reported to the FDA of people developing severe tendinitis from these meds. It usually occurs in the shoulders, wrists, and heels. Says it erodes the cartilage in the joints leading to tendinitis and ruptured tendons and usually requires surgery and can cause long term disability.
Hmmm....Okay.
While 7 mths pregnant, in 1993, I developed a bad UTI and was hospitalized for several days. I was on IV antibiotics. Shortly after the birth is when I first started having problems in my shoulder.
I wonder? Any thoughts? Sure would be nice to have an answer, finally. Wouldn't do me any good now, but it'd be nice to know. Dont know how I'd go about finding out what antibiotic they gave me almost 18 years ago, though!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-28-2011, 06:03 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

jonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB User
Re: OMG! Wonder if this is what happened to me?!

Its certainly possible that if you recieved a fluroquinalone, it could have contributed to your condition, but i dont think that you'll ever be able to say for sure what caused it, even if the hospital could tell you which drug you were given. Quinalones are a catagory c drug - so if you were pregnant, i suspect that the doctors would have used somthing else, but you never know what they might have done

Multiple anecdotes do not equal evidence - Me

Old 01-28-2011, 09:29 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

janiee08 HB Userjaniee08 HB Userjaniee08 HB Userjaniee08 HB Userjaniee08 HB Userjaniee08 HB Userjaniee08 HB User

I agree with jonstar that since you were pregnant it isn't likely that they used this antibiotic. I have read many of your posts and what comes to my mind is the possibility of Rheumatoid Arthritis. Now of course I'm not a doctor, so please take this with a grain of salt. It's just that I know of two people with similar historys such as yours where they "thought" they had tendinitis, and after years of surgeries, they ended up being diagnosed with RA. Blood tests for RA are often negative even in people who have been diagnosed with RA. Diagnosis is based on a certain amount of criteria. This is posted on the Arthritis board by a poster named jennybyc. I'm probably wrong, but maybe it's something you want to look into if you haven't already. I often wonder if I have it myself sometimes. Best Wishes, janiee

Last edited by janiee08; 01-30-2011 at 10:26 AM.

Old 01-29-2011, 07:19 AM   #4
(female)

You guys dont think so? Yeah, I'm probably grasping at straws, I'll admit. I so desperately want an answer. I'm pretty sure it's not RA Janiee. Thats what my ortho thought at first too and he sent me to rheumo. Negative, so I got 2 more rhemo work-ups with different Drs at different clinics. Both negative. One the rheumo's was the most thorough Dr I've ever seen and highly regarded. I'm confident that if there was something there, she would have found it. I sure wish I knew what caused this

Old 01-29-2011, 05:50 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

jonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB User

The other thing is, knowing if a quinalone antibiotic caused your condition wont make any difference to the treatment or prognosis - unless you want to sue the manufacturer.

I know you take Norco, are you also taking an NSAID - given that tendonitis is an inflamatory condition, a daily dose of Mobic, Celebrex or naproxen would seem like an obvious way to boost the relef you are getting without increased doses of narcotics. Indeed, in an inflamatory condition, an anti inflamatory could actualy provide better releif than a narcotic

Multiple anecdotes do not equal evidence - Me

Old 01-30-2011, 07:33 AM   #6
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnstar View Post
The other thing is, knowing if a quinalone antibiotic caused your condition wont make any difference to the treatment or prognosis - unless you want to sue the manufacturer.

I know you take Norco, are you also taking an NSAID - given that tendonitis is an inflamatory condition, a daily dose of Mobic, Celebrex or naproxen would seem like an obvious way to boost the relef you are getting without increased doses of narcotics. Indeed, in an inflamatory condition, an anti inflamatory could actualy provide better releif than a narcotic
I've tried NSAID's, with no relief. I use voltaren gel; I dont know if it helps or not. I've been using it every day for months now and who knows? it might be alot worse without it so....
I know it wont change anything about my future, but to actually KNOW what's causing this would be priceless to me. Words cant describe how frustrating it is to not have an answer as to WHY this has happened to me. If I only knew, I could accept it and have a bit more peace.

Old 02-01-2011, 05:23 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

nochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB User

hello mombomb, how are you. Well, have you asked any of your doctors about this med they gave you back then if it can cause you tendonitis? and all your problems? Some meds can cause diseases yes. All kinds of illnesses I know that. I was wondering if they checked this blood check to see if you have any auto-immune disease. So honestly, it is highly possible it is from this med. Unless you have played tennis or did a repetitive work with your hands for years.

This blood testing is called ANA, it checks to see if you have any type of auto-immune disease.

As for NSAID. I hate those drugs. Ibuprofen and such. But I can tell you something.
Oxycontin is stopping working for me. nothing new now. I am getting really tired of all of this business called pain management. I also want to be the person I used to be, just like you. So anyway, I now take oxycontin TOGETHER with one ibuprofen(Advil) 200mg.
I hate it. but I only take one, 200mg. and it works. On its own Advil won't do anything. and even 2 Advil won't do anything no relief.

Since you have tendonitis, there is inflamation. That is a fact. So what I am trying to say you can take norco TOGHETER with the NSAID so that is how it works. I believe it is called synergy. When norco stops working and NSAID does not work. Together they work. I did not know that also. I have learnt it here from John from australia, thanks John.

You can also consult a lawyer dealing with those issues. I would if I was you. They have never warned you. So you might have a case.

What meds are you on right now?

Last edited by nochange; 02-01-2011 at 05:25 AM.

Closed Thread