It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Chronic Pain Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2011, 08:04 AM   #1
(female)

RedBoots HB User
Going to be coming off narcotics

I have multiple back fusions that have left me with nerve damage and chronic pain. I have been on the Duragesic Patch 25mg every 72 hrs and Vicophrophen 3x daily for a long time. I have never abused my medicine. I will say that there has been several times in the years that the pain has been so bad that I have taken a fourth Vicophrophen in a day, but I can say that has only happened maybe once a month if that. My question is, am I addicted to my meds even though I dont abuse them? Just the fact that I am on them does that make me addicted to them? I recently had a Spinal Cord Stimulator installed, which hasnt given me as much relief as I anticipated as I had hoped for but some. I can say I just recently started a drug called Topiramate that has done alot for me, which I am thrilled about. I am still in alot of pain, but I want off these drugs. I cannot see living the rest of my life on these drugs. I am old but not that old and just cannot see staying on these drugs for the rest of my life. Plus I think that these drugs take away your ability to deal with pain. So, I am hoping if I get off these drugs, I can gain my ability to deal with the pain along with the spinal cord stimulator and the topiramate. Another question i have is will coming off these drugs be hard, I am scared but very determined. Looking forward to hearing what anyone has to say cause I have been thinking about this for a long time. Thank YOU

Last edited by RedBoots; 02-01-2011 at 08:06 AM.

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: RedBoots
louisef1 (02-26-2011), sjb (02-01-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-01-2011, 08:11 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

sjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB User
Re: Going to be coming off narcotics

I am glad this decision has been made for the sake of the liver and kidneys. The doctor may have to help lower them a bit at a time to avoid problems coming off.

Old 02-01-2011, 08:54 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

ibake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB User

If you take the drugs for the rush that you feel from them-then you are addicted. If you take the meds to control the pain-you are probably dependant on them. See the difference? How bad it will be depends on your body and how you tolerate it. Every person is different, and how they adjust to the decrease in meds is an individual thing. Work with your doctor to develop a long slow removal of your meds so that the side effects will be minimized.

good luck.

Old 02-01-2011, 10:15 AM   #4
(female)

RedBoots HB User

I understand! This is all new to me. I thought addicted and dependent were the same thing! I will be taking the slow process of removal, and I assume the problems should be minimal. I hope! Looking forward to the end though.

Old 02-01-2011, 02:32 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pegala HB UserPegala HB UserPegala HB UserPegala HB UserPegala HB UserPegala HB UserPegala HB User

Hello Friends,
Red Boots, like you, I recently went off a whole slew of pain medications.
I was taking the meds for a bad jaw. About a year and a half ago I had my joints replaced and was able to go off of the pain medication. I can now say that I feel better now than I had in years. I have more energy, I can think more clearly, I'm not concerned about getting stopped for a traffic ticket, I'm not as sluggish as I used to be, I'm not constantly sleepy, my life is much better.
Coming off of the meds was easier than I anticipated. My doctor worked worked with me to slowly taper off of them. I followed my doctor's orders and was fine.
Take your time, listen to your body and listen to your doctor.
I wish you the best with this. Please let me know how I can help.
Please keep the questions coming. We're here for you.
Peggy

Old 02-01-2011, 10:01 PM   #6
Facilitator
(female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User

bake&pray described it well

addicts abuse the medication, take more than prescribed (if they have a prescription, and no longer care about the pain but care about getting more of the medication

physiological dependence is just that your system has become accustomed to the medications. so if you have the option to stop them you'd go through a monitored and planned out taper of the medications over time.

The following user gives a hug of support to SpineAZ:
RedBoots (02-03-2011)
Old 02-03-2011, 12:21 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

nochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB User

hello RedBoots. You are not addicted to narcotic pain meds, you are dependent on them. That is a HUGE ) difference.

I am glad you are HAPPY with Topamax. It is an anti-seizure drug(not trying to educate you, just telling you my experience with it). and it works pretty good on pain. It worked for me. Problem was I started to forget things. Names of people and the few meds I take. I was on a low dose of 25mg, increased it to 50mg and then 100mg(as directed by my doctor)I started forget things. You do not forget your way home while on Topamax.....it's those little things you forget.

Try Tramadol Extended Release - that is tough on pain. It also has its side effects, but everyone is different. It is considered HALF narcotic. Ask for a sample and try at least for couple of days. I had side effects while on it - could not sleep even for a moment. But everyone is different. You need one pill and it works 24/7.

By the way, did you know, not treating chronic pain SHRINK the brain. I read it in our forum and some articles so I wanted you to know. When the brain shrinks it is PERMANENT.
No doctor told me that. I wanted to tell you that so you make a wise decision.

How is your sleep? and how were you injured?. So sorry I ask too much, I hope you can tell me?.

Best of luck. Keep us posted

Last edited by nochange; 02-03-2011 at 01:01 AM. Reason: I wanted to tell her some more info(my experience)

Old 02-03-2011, 07:13 AM   #8
(female)

RedBoots HB User

Thanks for the info Senior Veteran I really appreciate it. Actually my sleep is terrible, and I have been dealing with this for years. My injury unfortunately was a work related injury from lifting many many years ago so my health care has been taken care of my other people which is not the way I would of like it to of went but oh well it is what happened. I feel like I am taking these narcotics and still in pain, which I feel have taken my ability away to really deal with the pain, you know the whole endorphin thing, so I am hoping if I come off the meds slowly, my endorpins will kick back in and I will still be living in the same amount of pain just off the meds. I dont know, I just cant see living the rest of my life on these drugs, and I just cant see speing the rest of my life uping the doses which I havent done either. I just dont think hese drugs are good for me. Very confused!

Closed Thread