It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Chronic Pain Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-09-2011, 06:15 PM   #1
(male)

tattoo66 HB User
no more scrips

that's what I was told today.......Norco 10/325. Cliff notes. Chronic Prostatis/pelvic floor pain syndrome, 4 years. Cystoscopys x alot. Went to a physical therapist for about 6 mos. getting Pelvic Floor trigger point release. Almost bankrupted me BUT I was having a little success. Had to chose between health or losing home (yah the bills got that high) I stumbled on the Norco cause I was having back issues and Neurosurgeon put me on it and I noticed that my Pelvic Floor area wasn't as painful, back started to get better......Pelvic Floor didn't at least not completely BUT alas a drug combined with Xanax seemed to help. In the middle of all this my GP offered to take over prescribing, I asked my Urologist he said "No I'll do it, it's no big deal" I go up there today and he said he didn't believe long term Narcotic use was the answer to my problem (as opposed to long term kick in the groin pain) sorry I'm upset and hurt. At the time the physical therapist said my pelvic floor was indeed inflamed (proof not in head) anyhow I made a appt. with my GP (the one who offered to prescribe) I'm hoping he will. Anyone else ever been in a situation like this?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-10-2011, 02:37 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Isotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB User
Re: no more scrips

Seems to be a very common theme here. How to get a Doctor to write the script you want, or think you want.

Best way is not to fool yourself, or fall for your own story. If you have a condition that conventional protocol deems not suited to Narcotics, or you can't make the case that you have real pain that impacts your life -It can get ugly.

My case in point. GI pain, Inflammatory Bowel, and Chronic post surgery Crohn's. Not commonly treated with Opiates. I told my Doctor that I didn't care about Protocol or conventional wisdom, or any of that. I told my GP that I already gave the GI Docs 20+ years and thousands of dollars to figure it out -in hopes of giving me a life, and they failed. So my proposal to him was, let me take a crack at the problem myself. I can't be cured, so at this point I'm just needing some quality of life. If Opiates give me quality of life then I want that! Let's try it for the next 20 years and we can compare notes -20 years of Steroids, and Antibiotics, and pain .... Or 20 years of Narcotics?

Will I become a raving maniac addict one day? It's up to me. If I'm not diligent about staying within some boundaries, then sure, I could easily crash n' burn or ramp my tolerance up, or go back and claim my pain is still too much.

There are many ways to make a mess of a good plan -and I'm not going to do that, it's a simple choice. But, what I'm saying is, it's your life. If you are informed, you should be able to make these decisions, and your Doctor should help guide you in your efforts......

~

Last edited by Isotope; 02-10-2011 at 02:44 AM.

The Following User Says Thank You to Isotope For This Useful Post:
mgm55 (02-11-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-10-2011, 06:28 PM   #3
(male)

tattoo66 HB User

Thanks, I concur 100%. I've done my due diligence and am beyond well informed, I dare say I know more about my condition than most Dr's This condition in the medical world is a mystery albeit a real one. There is a book written on it and a article in Mens Health about it. As far as the Drugs go it's not what I want it's what................works. It's horrible. Anyhow I'm bracing myself for being cutoff which in my opinion is morally reprehensible.My pain is bad but I guess I'll suffer, anyhow I'm gonna dose down myself as of 7:00pm I've only taken 2 Norco and I'm pretty happy with that.

Old 02-10-2011, 08:30 PM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User

My PCP and my surgeon were totally relieved when I said post-op I wanted only my Pain Management doc to give me pain med prescriptions. PM docs are prepared to prescribe nartcotics long term where as urologists, PCP, surgeons, etc aren't as comfortable and there is increasing pressure from the DEA for monitoring what doctors prescribe meds.

Old 02-14-2011, 07:05 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

nochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB User

Tatoo66, There is another option for you. It is called Tramadol

Extended Release. You take one pill a day and it works 24/7. It helped my horrific neck pain, so I believe you should try it.

You doctor will be happy to rx it cause it is considered half narcotic so it is not as rx oxycontin or any other narcotic.

You can try it for couple of days and if you have any side effects like(you cannot sleep at night)stop it.

Ask your doc for a sample.
Good Luck

Last edited by nochange; 02-14-2011 at 07:06 AM.

Old 02-14-2011, 02:43 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User

Just an FYI on Tramadol, which is also called Ultram. Many people don't consider this drug as "serious" as others because it is not technically a narcotic. But that is a grave misconception. Tramadol can have very serious side effects such as increased/rapid heartbeat, severe insomnia and grand mal seizures. So, if you choose to go this route and ask your doctor about it, make sure he/she knows of all medications you are on, including any over the counter meds, and all existing medical conditions. Not trying to scare you, but it is a drug to be taken seriously and make sure that you have someone around you for the first few days that you take it.

I hope you get ahold of your GP and he/she is willing to take over your pain med management. I haven't used a Pain Management doc in 8 years. My GP, who I've been with for 11 years has RX'd all of my pain meds for the past 8 years, after I had a really bad experience with my Pain Management doc.

Good Luck and take care.

Kat

Old 02-14-2011, 06:29 PM   #7
(male)

tattoo66 HB User

Thanks, I've tried that, didn't work...........like I said I kinda stumbled on the Norco/Xanax combo. It works, well it makes life manageable. I really appreciate your input. I'm hopeful my PC will prescribe, my apt is Mar 11th.......... My gut tells me he will, he's a really nice guy, understanding. Anyhow I've told my Urologist I'm willing to take a UA, I told him to run a check on me regarding the Major Pharmacy's in the St.Louis area and even told him to talk to Pharmacy that I've been going to for the last 5 yrs. I've been transparent. I told him I was prescribed cough syrup that as soon as I realized it had Hydrocodone I stopped. I've tried to take less BUT this weekend was, well, bad. I won't feel guilty for something that gives somewhat of a life. I've spent thousands........anyhow, you guys rule. thanks

Old 02-14-2011, 11:50 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

nochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB User

Tatto06, eventually norco will stop working. But anyway, it is always BETTER not to take any meds.

If you are able to sleep at night and you do not need sleeping pills it means you will be able to live without pain meds. I think so.

Old 02-14-2011, 11:53 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

So howcome Tramadol Extended Release is still in the market? that is very interesting.

Old 02-14-2011, 11:55 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

and again, tatoo09, I would definatelly stop all pain meds if I only could sleep at night.

So if that is your decision I can only envy you.

Old 02-19-2011, 10:42 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(male)

jonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB User

Given your pain is inflamatory, have you tried antiinflamatory drugs (high dose ibuprofen for example, 800mg four times a day)

These can give good releif, and arnt habit forming, so your doctor might be more inclined to prescribe.

My particular favorite is Celebrex, 200mg twice a day, as it is a good painkiller, and doesnt irritiate the stomach

Multiple anecdotes do not equal evidence - Me

Old 02-19-2011, 10:52 PM   #12
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by nochange View Post
So howcome Tramadol Extended Release is still in the market? that is very interesting.
You mean in regards to the seriousness of the side effects? Have you ever read a script jacket when you pick your meds up from the pharmacy? Most if not all of the narcotic pain meds have very serious side effects...but I guess the good outweighs the bad, so we take them hoping that they will work, and that we will not get the side effects...it's just a toss up.

Kat

Old 02-19-2011, 11:58 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(male)

jonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB User

Thats it...... all potent drugs have potnt side effects in some patients - for examply, morphine or oxycodone can depress respiration to the point where you stop breathing, or penicillin can cause fatal anaphylaxis. However, most people who take a drug will only get minor, inconveneient side effects like drowsiness or constipation.

I generaly make a point of NOT reading those data sheets, because it seems that if you read them, your subconcious mind makes you think you are suffering every listed side effect and then some within 10 minutes of taking the forst pill!

Old 02-20-2011, 11:08 PM   #14
(female)

jyoung4992 HB User

I would have to disagree with the Tramadol, I was given that after being on Norco and Vicodin and it did nothing. It was less than taking an Ibuprofen. Although, if you're looking for an alternative to the narcotics, you can try Tramadol as this is a non-narcotic pain reliever for severe chronic pain (or so the pamphlet says). Again, I got absolutely no relief when I took this.

Old 02-21-2011, 12:32 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(male)

Thats rather like saying "my neighbour had pneumonia and they gave her penicillin, but she died, so therefor penicillin is useless if you have pneumonia"

The fact the drug didnt work for you doesnt have any bearing on how well it will work for this guy, before a drug is introduced, it is tested on thousands of patients and must be shown to produce a good effect in a majority, wether its tramadol, penicillin or ExLax

Closed Thread