It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Chronic Pain Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2011, 01:35 PM   #1
(female)

papoug HB User
ankle pain

pain on outside of my right ankle which radiates up the outside of my leg. diagnosed as subtibial impingement by one doctor and peroneal tendonitis by another. no relief despite cortisone injection and cortisone delivered via iontophorosis. also i had radio wave therapy.

i have seized the law in my own hands, bought an arizona boot/brace online and am wearing it. some relief. ankle had a triple arthrodesis 5 years ago which is successful. i am 80 years old and they cannot operate on this ankle again.

my internist is proposing vicodin. i am very scared of using it daily but i can only stand for about 5 minutes at a time and then must sit down for 30 minutes until the pain subsides.

any, any ideas? is this the right place to post this query?

Old 02-12-2011, 01:09 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Isotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB User
Re: ankle pain

Why oh why do they always start with Vicodin? IMHO, Vicodin won't do much for you except to make you want to take more Vicodin. The problem being, it just isn't strong enough but it will take just enough of the edge off to make you think that more will do it -but it won't.

Since your pain is very localized you might look into a topical pain reliever. I'm not aware of any particular offerings but I imagine a form of Lidocaine in a patch or ointment, only more powerful and long lasting.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-12-2011, 05:19 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

tiggertoo2174 HB Usertiggertoo2174 HB Usertiggertoo2174 HB Usertiggertoo2174 HB User

There is a lidocaine patch, it's called Lidoderm. It's pretty effective for some things, and would certainly be worth a try. There is also an anti-inflammatory in a rub on form, I think it's called voltaren, they won't allow me to try it due to allergy issues but my FIL swears by it. Another option could be something like LA tramdol, doesn't have some of the issues vicoden has, and is effective for some people, and has the advantage of being a once a day med.

Good luck,

Tigg

Old 02-12-2011, 04:20 PM   #4
(female)

papoug HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggertoo2174 View Post
There is a lidocaine patch, it's called Lidoderm. It's pretty effective for some things, and would certainly be worth a try. There is also an anti-inflammatory in a rub on form, I think it's called voltaren, they won't allow me to try it due to allergy issues but my FIL swears by it. Another option could be something like LA tramdol, doesn't have some of the issues vicoden has, and is effective for some people, and has the advantage of being a once a day med.

Good luck,

Tigg
Thank you very much.

Old 02-13-2011, 06:08 PM   #5
(female)

msgenerallee HB Usermsgenerallee HB Usermsgenerallee HB Usermsgenerallee HB Usermsgenerallee HB Usermsgenerallee HB Usermsgenerallee HB Usermsgenerallee HB Usermsgenerallee HB User

you all said the magic words ! VOLTAREN GEL (anti-inflammatory diclofenac in it), LIDODERM PATCH (lidocaine anesthetic), and there is also a diclofenac patch known as FLECTOR PATCH. i have all 3 and i swear they are lifesavers, they work great for me ! you can use any of them anywhere on your body. only downside to the lidoderm patch, you can only use them 12 hours on, then 12 hours off, but can use more than one patch at a time on your body. flector patch- you can use up to 3 on your body at one time, and change patch (put on new one) every 12 hours around the clock. either patch, you can cut into strips if you have small areas that hurt... the copays can be expensive depending on your insurance. i have blue cross/ blue shield of ga, and lido is $30 for 30 patches, flector is $60 for 30 patches and the voltaren cost me about $27 per tube. you can do web search for each and find coupons that will save you lots of money on the patches. the lidoderm coupon is good for 24 months of refills. the flector is only good for initial fill. you can also contact the manufacturer or pparx and if you qualify, get them for free...

Old 02-14-2011, 02:10 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User

I use both Voltaren Gel and Lidoderm patches on and around my knees, wrists and ankles. Both of these products work very well. I've never used them without the accompaniment of narcotics, both LA and SA, so I can't say how they act on their own...but they are very effective when used in conjunction with pain meds.

Papaoug, if you don't want to take heavy duty pain meds, then coupling them with a small daily dose of Vicodin just might do the trick for you, all you can do is try it and see.

Let us know what you decide and how it goes.

Kat

Closed Thread