It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Chronic Pain Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-16-2011, 02:56 PM   #1
(female)

Location: Los Angeles, California, United States, 110970792260960, Los Angeles, California
jjinla HB User
Question Need pain management suggestions for Tethered Cord

I have tried Gabapentin, Lyrica, Cymbalta, Topomax, and Nortriptyline. They either didn't help, made pain worse or the side effects were too terrible to continue taking the med(s).

I'm currently trying Tylenol 3 (per Dr. friend suggestion) so we'll see. But are there other options? I'd rather not take the "hard stuff" (Vicodin, etc.)

Thanks!

JJ

Old 02-16-2011, 03:11 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pegala HB UserPegala HB UserPegala HB UserPegala HB UserPegala HB UserPegala HB UserPegala HB User
Re: Need pain management suggestions for Tethered Cord

Hello Friends,
I'm sorry that you're going through such a difficult time. Have you tried Ultram? It's a very good non=narcotic pain med. Look into it and see what you think. I've had very good success with it.
Also, what other treatment modalities are you using? Heat, cold, accupuncture, chiropractic, vitamins, and the list goes on. I would talk to my doctor about what else you can do to supplement the meds.
Please keep us posted on how you're doing.
Peggy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-16-2011, 03:19 PM   #3
(female)

Location: Los Angeles, California, United States, 110970792260960, Los Angeles, California
jjinla HB User

Peggy,

I'm not doing anything other than hot showers, which does make it feel better. I had accupuncture after my back surgery in 1994 and I am thinking about trying it again. But after a while, the first time, it stopped working so it might only be a temporary solution. I am a wheelchair user and my pain goes from my tailbone down both legs to the back of my knees. It's a burning/pulling sensation. I've been reading up on Ultram and will ask the Dr. about it.

Thanks!

JJ

Old 02-22-2011, 06:24 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

nochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB User

hello. I would try tramadol extended release over the weekend. It can cause you sleep problems.

It helped me a lot. One pill a day and that was it. Could not fall asleep even when I took sleeping meds. so stopped taking it.

Tramadol extended release is considered half narcotic and eventually you will need to increase the dose. It is called tolerance.

Last edited by nochange; 02-22-2011 at 06:26 AM.

Old 02-23-2011, 12:03 AM   #5
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User

Here is some infor for you re: tramadol that you might want to study: "Tramadol hydrochloride (Ultram, Tramal others below) is a centrally acting opioid analgesic, used in treating moderate to severe pain. The drug has a wide range of applications, including treatment for restless leg syndrome and fibromyalgia. It was developed by the pharmaceutical company Grünenthal GmbH in the late 1970s.[1][2]

Tramadol possesses weak agonist actions at the μ-opioid receptor, releases serotonin, and inhibits the reuptake of norepinephrine.[3][4][5][6][7][8][9]

Tramadol is a synthetic analog of the phenanthrene alkaloid codeine and, as such, is an opioid and also a prodrug (codeine is metabolized to morphine, tramadol is converted to O-desmethyltramadol). Opioids are chemical compounds which act upon one or more of the human opiate receptors. The euphoria and respiratory depression are mainly caused by the μ1 and μ2 receptors; the addictive nature of the drug is due to these effects as well as its serotonergic/noradrenergic effects. The opioid agonistic effect of tramadol and its major metabolite(s) are almost exclusively mediated by the substance's action at the μ-opioid receptor. This characteristic distinguishes tramadol from many other substances (including morphine) of the opioid drug class, which generally do not possess tramadol's degree of subtype selectivity."

I've taken Ultram off and on for many years for different types of pain, and I am in no way saying that i am more knowledgeeable than anyone else around her, but honestly it's just not a great drug. I took Ultram for 2 months before I ended up in the ER with a Grand Mal Seizure, due to Ultram my brain was constantly primed to have more seizures and I got to spend the next 4 days in the luxerious suite at the University Of North Carolina - Chapel Hill. I know have a Seizure Dirsorder and have to take meds for that, and also have to watch the other meds I take 'cuz they can be triggers. So, I guess my point her is not to scare you, I promise, it's to have you do a little research adn make sure this is the right med for you. Doctors may act like jerks when we question there decisions but in the end I think they respect us more for knowing what we are talking about.

Sorry one more thing, people on this board talk about Tramadol/Ultram like you can just go out and pick it up somewhere, or ask it of your do and they will just automatically put a script in your hand. Sorry but this is not the case. Tramadol is still a partial narcotic pain med with very seriousness side effects, it can still be used to get high from. So don't be shocked when you do to your doc and ask for this and he says NO.

good Luck
Kat

Last edited by katlin09; 02-23-2011 at 12:06 AM. Reason: forgot something

Old 02-23-2011, 01:17 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

ibake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB User

The meds you mentioned are ones that are given for nerve pain, and it sounds like that is hwat you are dealing with. There is a gel that helps with releaving the pian-BioFreeze. You can get it from a Chiro office, or something similar from a drug store. IT feels cooling when you put it on, then delivers the releif. There are also some pain patches call Lidoderm that will deliver the pain meds right to the area that the patch covers. They are localized to the area that they are put on. Script required, but they do help. 12 hours on, 12 off. Hot tubs are a good help also, as is doing easy exercises in the pool.....

good luck and keep us posted.

Closed Thread