It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Chronic Pain Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-18-2011, 09:08 AM   #1
(female)

flutterby HB User
new person - my story

Hiya,
Im a 22 year old female and since 5th April 2009 i have had pain in the right side my face which was originally diagnosed as Trigeminal Neuralgia. However since then ive developed pain in both sides of my face, my whole head as well and less frequently i get shooting pains down my legs, in my fingers and sometimes in my arms.
The doctors have since decided it isnt TN, however they don't know what it is or how to treat it so im just left heavily medicated!
Admittedly i had a year off the meds because for 3 months i was in no pain and then i got it back round about march last year and i was stubborn enough to hold off until it just got worse and worse and finally in September i had to go back on the meds cos i couldnt stand it anymore and im in the same boat now!
Is there anyone else who has had a similar story? Would you mind introducing yourselves because id be really interested to hear your stories.

Thanks guys take care xxxxx

Last edited by flutterby; 02-18-2011 at 09:10 AM.

Old 02-22-2011, 06:20 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

nochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB User
Re: new person - my story

did your doctors ever do a NECK MRI, better do it with contrast.

It is an important test to do, this neck mri testing. It can reveal you a lot.
Ever been in a car accident ?

2) do the ANA testing to check for anti-bodies. Maybe you have lupus. It can start when you are very young.

Good Luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-22-2011, 09:04 AM   #3
(female)

flutterby HB User

Hi there,
Ive only had one MRI and that was the right side of my head that they were looking at and they did inject a contrast dye then, i dont think it was of my neck though.
I have never been in a car accident, minor or otherwise so theres no reason for injury from that. i cracked my head open on a bookcase when i was 3 and had to go to hospital but i was an extremely clumsy child and have turned into a majorly clumsy adult so im always walking into walls (cos i dont seem to be able to judge the distance very well) i knock things over, stub my toes etc

Old 03-09-2011, 04:27 PM   #4
(male)

dave490 HB Userdave490 HB Userdave490 HB Userdave490 HB Userdave490 HB Userdave490 HB Userdave490 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by flutterby View Post
Hiya,
Im a 22 year old female and since 5th April 2009 i have had pain in the right side my face which was originally diagnosed as Trigeminal Neuralgia. However since then ive developed pain in both sides of my face, my whole head as well and less frequently i get shooting pains down my legs, in my fingers and sometimes in my arms.
The doctors have since decided it isnt TN, however they don't know what it is or how to treat it so im just left heavily medicated!
Admittedly i had a year off the meds because for 3 months i was in no pain and then i got it back round about march last year and i was stubborn enough to hold off until it just got worse and worse and finally in September i had to go back on the meds cos i couldnt stand it anymore and im in the same boat now!
Is there anyone else who has had a similar story? Would you mind introducing yourselves because id be really interested to hear your stories.

Thanks guys take care xxxxx
Hi Flutterby. I don't have TN; I had an electric shock of 8000 volts in 1991. That left me with severe migraines and facial pain. Until the doctors figure out - if they ever can - what it is that triggers your pain, don't be afraid to use effective medications to control it. I went through a period of stubborness, not wanting to use medication. For your own sanity, take it. Don't let the pain get so bad that you feel like giving up. Chronic pain is a real drain on you physically and emotionally, and there's absolutely no sign of weakness in using meds to control it. You're young and have a long life ahead of you. Use meds as necessary, and I hope they can find the source. Best of luck, and please stay in touch.

The Following User Says Thank You to dave490 For This Useful Post:
flutterby (03-10-2011)
Old 03-10-2011, 01:05 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Isotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB User

You are currently 'heavily medicated'? What exactly is that comprised of....?

Old 03-10-2011, 06:25 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

nochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB User

tramdol, amitriptyline and lyrica. You are not heavily medicated. But she lives in England. They are conservative there.

In England taking those meds is considered heavily medicated.
Well, at least they give her something.

Old 03-10-2011, 12:38 PM   #7
(female)

flutterby HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by nochange View Post
tramdol, amitriptyline and lyrica. You are not heavily medicated. But she lives in England. They are conservative there.

In England taking those meds is considered heavily medicated.
Well, at least they give her something.
Hiya,
Sorry for the long delay ive been in some awful pain and havent had the desire to come online.
When i say "heavily medicated" i mean the side effects rather then the actual tablets. i sleep practically 14 hours a day and thats on a good day, i just feel drugged up and popping all these pills makes me feel so sick. I had to stop the lyrica due to side effects and im starting Gabpartin (sorry if thats the wrong spelling).
I realise by some of your standards i may not be the worst case you've ever seen but i am struggling with what i have and what tablets im on, ive never needed all these tablets before.
And nochange, i can only go by what the doctors tell me and they are telling me there are no other tablets that i can take and they are all shocked that i need as many as i do and still be in pain.
I feel like people think im making it up, you cant see anything wrong with me and ive never had any significant injury to have caused it so i must be lying. Maybe im being paranoid but im not sleeping due to this and im so tired that i just feel like everyone is giving up on me.
daveseavy, thank you for your lovely post and im very sorry that you are stuck with such terrible pain xxx its nice to know other people understand even though it means that they to are in awful pain. i keep getting headaches too, everyday i wake up with an awful headache. ive got an MRI scan on monday but i dont think it will show anything, i think this is just something that just is.

Take Care xxxx

Old 03-10-2011, 01:11 PM   #8
(male)

dave490 HB Userdave490 HB Userdave490 HB Userdave490 HB Userdave490 HB Userdave490 HB Userdave490 HB User

There are no "standards" because each person is unique. I always tell people that pain is pain and it's also subjective. What might be tolerable to one could be devastating to another, so I never compare situations. I hope things look up for you; you're in my prayers.

Old 03-11-2011, 08:02 AM   #9
(female)

flutterby HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveseavy View Post
There are no "standards" because each person is unique. I always tell people that pain is pain and it's also subjective. What might be tolerable to one could be devastating to another, so I never compare situations. I hope things look up for you; you're in my prayers.
thanks daveseavy, you really have been very kind to me xxx im sorry if ive come across as being stroppy but yesterday i just felt a bit lost. the new tablets ive started seem to be taking the edge off, its not quite so constant so im going to halt there and see if i can just stay at the lower dose and adjust it as needed.
Can i just ask (and you dont have to answer) how on earth did you manage to get electrocuted with 8000 volts?!
Take care and thank you xxxxx

Old 03-11-2011, 08:47 AM   #10
(male)

Quote:
thanks daveseavy, you really have been very kind to me xxx im sorry if ive come across as being stroppy but yesterday i just felt a bit lost. the new tablets ive started seem to be taking the edge off, its not quite so constant so im going to halt there and see if i can just stay at the lower dose and adjust it as needed.
Can i just ask (and you dont have to answer) how on earth did you manage to get electrocuted with 8000 volts?!
You needn't apologize; I go through it too. I was repairing an FM broadcast transmitter and a safety device failed. The jolt went up my right arm and out the left side of my head. My head was against the transmitter cabinet, which is grounded, so the electricity had a perfect path to follow. It's a good thing I was tight against it, or I could have had external burns. Have a great weekend and keep in touch.

Old 03-11-2011, 07:50 PM   #11
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB User

Quote:
You'd be surprised how easy it is to be electrocuted with high voltage. My hubby was a High Rise signman and was up 2 stories changeing a ballast in a sign that was supposed to be dead. He reached into remove the ballast and it was hot, he was hit with 12000 volts of elecrtricity and then fell 2 stories out of a cherry picker. It took a lot to keep him alive for the next 24 hours.

I wish you well in your search for the correct med combo to control pain, I know how frustration it can be trying to get everything worked out.

Kat

Old 03-11-2011, 10:24 PM   #12
(male)

Those neon sign transformers can be a devil. I do some neon work and know the voltages well. My accident was from repairing a broadcast transmitter. How's your husband doing now?

Old 03-12-2011, 08:59 AM   #13
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB User

His accident was 12 yrs. ago. They lost him 3 times over a 6 hr. period and got him back, he was in a coma for 3 days, he broke all the bones on the right side of his body, including both sides of his hips. When he finally woke he up, he had no memory, didn't know who anyone was, me, his son, etc. He had to be taught how to talk, walk, eat, etc. all over again. He lost all of his education down to a 3rd grade level. It took a year of intensive physical therapy and neuro-physio therapy to get him back to the level he was at, at the time of the accident. The only permanent damage was short term memory issues, he has to right alot of stuff down, he scanning capabilities are off by 4/10's of a second, which don't sound like much, but when there's a deficit between looking at something and your brain actually seeing it, that can be a problem, and of course general bone and joint aches and pains in the winter and when it rains. Basically he was very very lucky.

Closed Thread