It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Chronic Pain Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-14-2011, 01:12 AM   #1
(male)

ROSARK3 HB User
It can always get worse

I have been a member for some time now. A lot of advice has been given to me as well as others during that time. Now I am faced with more problems.
On Feb 23 2011, I was hit by an 18 wheeler, that ran a stop sign. I got out of the hospital March 1. The doctors told me that 2 of my pelvic bones were broken in 5 places, but the fractures did not move. (how lucky I am) The impact did not damage any internal organs (VERY LUCKY).
I am now having to learn how to walk again. My back pain was bearable, before the accident with the meds I was on. Now I am taking three times as much pain meds (due to tolorence) with moderate relief. My lower back is kicking up a lot of pain with the pelvis bones. Both of my legs burn and tingle due to nerve damage. I can not lay flat on my back and only sleep in a recliner at 2 to 3 hr spans. My days are now filled with PT's, OT's, Nurses, a social worker, and a phycologist.
The doctors also tell me that it will be 3 to 6 months before I am recovered enough to walk without help (walker and crutches). To any and all, It can always get worse. Thanks for listening.
ROSARK3

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: ROSARK3
bunz50 (03-14-2011), mju58 (03-16-2011)
Old 03-14-2011, 10:20 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

maltluver HB Usermaltluver HB Usermaltluver HB Usermaltluver HB Usermaltluver HB Usermaltluver HB Usermaltluver HB Usermaltluver HB Usermaltluver HB Usermaltluver HB Usermaltluver HB User
Re: It can always get worse

You are so right. Having had multiple spine surgeries, I sometimes find myself lamenting how hard life is and then I realize how lucky I really am not to be in a wheelchair, or severe pain, and can walk a bit with a cane. There are always those who have it much worse in many ways and as I learned from my last surgery, things can get worse than they were. I am still battling my way back from weak back muscles and legs and am waiting for the fusion to be solid enough to undergo the kind of pt that will help me regain some strength in my core muscles and legs.

I know that with all the problems in my spine, particularly the arthritis, I will most likely need more surgery in the future as more osteophytes are likely to form and cause stenosis. It's my hope that I won't get any worse but I know that it can happen.

I am greatful for every task I am able to perform and do my best to stay positive; I think that is very helpful to any recovery I may make.

Thanks for sharing.

Carol
Last surgery Oct, 2010, 3 levels

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-16-2011, 11:56 AM   #3
(male)

mju58 HB Usermju58 HB Usermju58 HB Usermju58 HB Usermju58 HB Usermju58 HB User

Just a quick note, I have personally been through things in my life that would curl your toes, believe me, and to help me get through it I had a mantra I always told myself. If you can't guess by now, it's the title of your post - It could always be worse! In your case, you're lucky to be alive. In my case, it's a miracle I'm still a caring, decent parent/husband still making my way through this crazy world we live in. So, don't ever let the "turkeys" get you down and always remember that mantra, my friend!

The Following User Says Thank You to mju58 For This Useful Post:
ROSARK3 (03-17-2011)
Old 08-05-2011, 06:03 PM   #4
(male)

ROSARK3 HB User

It is now August and I can walk again, with a cane. I am going in to see my PC on Tue., to start a reduction of pain meds. I never thought that this day would get here nor that I would say I am taking too much medicine. M pelvis bones have heald nicely and I don't have as much pain as I thought I would have. My Back is still the same as before but it is something I can live with, given the right meds.
I said that to say this, I am not sure what to do to stop the 100 mgh of duragesic withdrawals that my doctor and I talked about today. I know he is wanting to put me on msir 30mg instead of the patch and I find it odd that he also wants to keep me on the perc's too. !!!?????? I just don't understand, I thought I was to go back down the patch ladder from 100 to 12.5 until I was off. Is my Doc right? What will his plan do to me or will there be W/D this way?

Closed Thread