It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Chronic Pain Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-16-2011, 04:09 PM   #1
(male)

rounder36 HB User
question about script a week early cause of pulled teeth

My grandmother gets her meds from her pain dr. She gets OC 40s and perc 10s 120 perc tens and 40 OC 40s. She had her entire bottom row of teeth pulled and it caused her to run out a week earl;y as she couldnt get the script filled from the dentist. Should she call her pain Dr and request an early script and explain what happend?

Thanks in advance.

Old 04-16-2011, 09:12 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

Boxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB User
Re: question about script a week early cause of pulled teeth

Yes, I would call the pain doc and let him know what happened. Ideally, if you could have spoken with the pain doc to let them know this kind of procedure was coming ahead of time then they could have made arrangements. Some pain docs will write for extra meds and others let the dentist or surgeon write the meds, it just depends on the doc.

The risk is depending on the doc is your grandmother self medicated by taking the meds more than directed and if the doc is a stickler for rules there is the chance he could dismiss her from pain management. Because of the circumstances and because it was such a hige procedure, not one or two teeth but the whole row, I would like to think he will have compassion and help her out.

But you do need to know the risks and next time get with the doc ahead of time as it saves so many problems.

Good luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-17-2011, 01:11 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Fiona_Jo HB UserFiona_Jo HB UserFiona_Jo HB UserFiona_Jo HB UserFiona_Jo HB UserFiona_Jo HB User

Yes, that's definitely a situation a where the patient wants to alert her Doctor. Having all those teeth pulled, is very major dental work and does sound like she will be needing some additional medication medication to cover her pain or an authorization to fill her prescription her early.

I hope she starts feeling better very soon.

~ Fiona Jo

Old 04-17-2011, 11:30 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Shoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB User

Hi Rounder, Boxer gave you the best advice. If your mom has a contract with her pain doc, most likely this was covered. It's actually printed on the back of my scripts not to use your CP meds for dental or surgical procedures "so you dont eat up a 4 weeks of meds in 3 weeks." I have no doubt their was a great deal of pain involved and it's just poor pain management on the dentist' fault. He pulld the teeth, he caused the pain, he should be prescribing the meds for the additional pain that was caused. Personally I wouldn't agree to let a dentist work on me if he wasn't willing to manage his own post op pain. But this is just part of being a CP patient. Not all dentist or surgeons understand that being on meds now doesn't make us impervious to any additional pain. It's always best to have this kind of issue resolved prior top running out early rather than hope for kindness and understanding on the PM docs part, particularly if this issue was covered on day one bt a PM contract. There is no such thing as an early refill at the clinic I go to but I/m very clear on the rules as we sign a new contract every year. Whether their lost, stolen or we had a procedure, There is never a good reason to surprise your doc with the need for an early fill. Good luck, Dave

Old 04-17-2011, 10:55 PM   #5
(female)

3red3red HB User3red3red HB User3red3red HB User3red3red HB User3red3red HB User3red3red HB User3red3red HB User

the other point and not mentioned, is that major dental procedures, like having an entire row of teeth pulled, involve sedation "over and beyond" the level of narcotics to which she is tolerant. This makes it a potentially lethal risk, and honestly quite stupid, to self medicate by taking more than prescribed "of anything" without her physician's supervision. Respiratory complications and accidental overdoses are quite real scenarios - especially in the elderly population with multiple medical conditions and requiring a higher level of specialty care. I'm glad your grandmother is okay and now worrying about running out early, but I really hope you have explained to her the seriousness of using her own discretion in upping her meds without discussing it beforehand with her doctor. She is lucky to be alive and may not be as fortunate if she does this again.

As mentioned by others, it is a very real possibility your grandmother could be discharged as a chronic pain patient. The Pain Management contract most of us are required to sign should have been explained in detail to your grandmother when she was accepted as a CP patient. Most CP specialty physicians have little understanding with a patient's failure to comply.

Closed Thread