It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Chronic Pain Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-01-2011, 10:44 PM   #1
(female)

scotmand33 HB User
Mammogram Injury

Has anyone experienced nerve damage after a mammogram? My mom has been suffering with pain in her chest since Feb 2010. The pain began the day after she had a mammogram. Over the past 16 months she has been back and forth to her general practitioner and been referred to the hospital for a bone scan and cat scan. Blood work has also been done. All the tests reveal "nothing" is wrong yet my mom is constantly in pain. Some days are better than others. She is on pain meds and nerve inhibitors, taking 16 pills a day. The only time she gets any relieve is when she is in a standing position - sitting or lying down is uncomfortable because the pain goes from her sternum through to her back. No one will take her seriously and her last visit to the pain clinic resulted in the doctor telling her to try relaxation therapy. My mom retired in December and has had 5 months of "relaxing" - the problem is, she can't find any position in which to relax. She goes back to the breast clinic next week and hopefully they will be able to find the root cause of the pain and offer a proper course of treatment. I wondered if any other women experienced similar symptoms following a mammogram? Thanks for your time.

Old 06-07-2011, 07:04 PM   #2
(female)

oldersister HB User
Re: Mammogram Injury

My little sister has had this same experience. She has a high tolerance for pain. This is real. Her condition sounds like your mother's. Tests are not showing any problem.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-20-2011, 04:12 PM   #3
(female)

tina ann HB User

I had a routine Mammogram on July 8th, the next evening I started with severe pain under my left arm and left chest, I took some Tylenol and went to bed, woke up at 4:30 am with really severe left chest pain, under left arm and radiating down my left arm, I thought for sure I was having a heart attack and went to ER, were I was admitted and had EKG's, Morphine, Eco Cardiogram, MRI, spend 3 days in the hospital seen neurologist, cardiologist...my diagnosis...nerve damage from my mammogram, my ulner nerve was damaged, I still have pain and numbness/weakness, taking Neurontin, waiting for the bills to start coming in..the pain and suffering was incredible...I also want to know if this has happened to anyone else and what they did? My doctor says my nerve will heal but it is going to take awhile.

The following user gives a hug of support to tina ann:
mrionly (08-02-2011)
Old 08-02-2011, 01:23 AM   #4
(female)

mrionly HB User

I was injured but it was to the muscles of the chestwall, and neck. I had to be on muscle relaxers, and missed work for a week thanks to this primative procedure. Has she had a breast MRI or seen a neurologist to follow up?

Old 01-21-2012, 01:39 AM   #5
(female)

susiegirl HB User

I had a routine mammogram (my second by request at 47yrs old) prior to Christmas 2010. My left breast needed to be done twice as the first picture wasn't clear...my results came back all clear thank goodness but the ongoing pain in my breasts (particularly my left) is almost unbearable. It feels like the burning and tenderness you get during the pre-menstral cycle but it is ALL the time!!! and particularly when sleeping and early morning or at the end of the day. I can also see a slight redness under my left breast. It's been a month and is not getting better. Who designed these horrid machines? A male most likely....I'd like to see men put there precious package in one of those machines!

Old 06-11-2012, 09:54 AM   #6
(female)

crazypain HB User

I had my first Mammogram on Thursday morning. Friday afternoon I started to have a pulling feeling in my shoulders, chest and back on my right side. It is hard to figure out exactly where the pain is coming from but, it is pretty much my whole top right area front to back. I have taken so much Advil and Aleve and nothing will help.

I have a call into the nurse to see if this is normal and find out what I can do to relieve it. I have implants and they had to push the implants back so that they could see the breast tissue better. I was wondering if anyone has experienced this pain? I pray it goes away soon.

Closed Thread