It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Chronic Pain Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-14-2011, 05:30 PM   #1
(male)

Discissues21 HB User
Help with pain management Greensboro nc

Hello everyone! This is my first post of any kind on any forum. To say I am at my wit's end would be an understatement. I am 28 and have been dealing with back pain for several years now. It has recently progressed to a point where it is interfering with my life. I have read several stories and posts and realize I am not alone in my situation.

I went to an Orthopedic surgeon early last year to try to get some help. I have known about my degenerative discs for a few years and I wanted help. The doctor basically said take Tylenol and I enrolled in physical therapy. The problem was that the pain kept me from being able to adequately participate in that therapy, so I stopped going and dealt with the pain.

In August of last year, I went to Manila on business. Whether it was the flight, the new bed or something else, my back hurt terribly after a week there. I visited a Pain Management doctor there who instantly showed me respect, listened to my concerns and then tried treatments. I was prescribed 10mg oxycontin, 3 times daily, with an instant release 5mg oxycodone for breakthrough pain and enrolled in physical therapy. I was there 4 months and was making progress. I felt normal for the first time in years.

Forward to where I'm at now, I have been seeing a new Ortho for a few months (no PM referral). I have tried Flector patches, Prednisone, Methocarbamol, NSAIDs and hydrocodone. The only one that gave me relief was hydrocodone but it kept me awake. I have told him of my Manila experience and got only "that oxycodone is nasty stuff". Now he will not prescribe even hydrocodone, and says we can try an epidural shot.

For some additional information, I take celexa for anxiety which limits me to only opiate based pain meds. Tramadol, etc could cause seizures. I have a history of kidney stones, so at times I have access to small amounts of percocet. I self-medicate with that when I can because I have no other choice. I know it is my age and I know what works for me because I've had the treatment.

Should I ask my Ortho for a referral to a PM? And if so, does anyone know of any PMs in my area who will treat me as a patient and not a 28 year old patient that is nothing but an addict? I hate that docs scoff at opiates here even when a person has a proven reason for them and they know it would help. I just want to feel normal again. Thanks in advance.

The following user gives a hug of support to Discissues21:
samanta73 (07-13-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread