It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Chronic Pain Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-17-2011, 06:36 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

nochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB User
How do they diagnose soft tissue damage and/or tear in ligaments/tendons

Is there anyone here who was diagnosed with tear in their ligaments/tendons
and/or soft tissue damage? scar tissue?.

How is it possible my MRI showed no tear and no soft tissue damage???
I was just thinking about that, had a severe whiplash then I must have soft tissue damage - tendons and ligaments plus tear that is why my muscles and tendons and ligaments are hurting me, no? also I have two bulging disks(not pressing anywhere.

Just wondering how were you diagnosed with scar tissue, tear etc?.
and if you have any idea why my MRI did not indicate any scar tissue or tear.

Old 07-17-2011, 08:10 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ilovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB User
Re: How do they diagnose soft tissue damage and/or tear in ligaments/tendons

Nochange..an MRI is the standard test to rule out any damage of the soft tissues but is usually done after the conservative treatments are done at the time of injury...

Most of the time a Dr. diagnosis whiplash by ruling out any breaks by an x-ray in the ER after an accident..Actual whiplash includes neck pain, headache, dizziness, fatigue, eye disturbances..

The usual treatment for this is a soft collar for a short period of time and then range of motion exercises after that...Whiplash itself goes away within a fairly short period of time of a few weeks to a month...

If someone is having trouble after that...then an MRI is done by a Neurosurgeon/Neurologist or Orthopedic Surgeon...to look for disc issues or soft tissues damage and then that would be a different diagnosis...

So..obvsioulsy I'm not a Dr...but worked in the Fire Dept. as a Firefighter/EMT for over 10 years and saw quite a lot of whiplash injuries...but from everything I know...an actual whiplash injury goes away and doesn't include any type of soft tissue damage...that would be a different issue..

It's actually a great thing that you do not have any damage! So yea for this! I know it's frustrating at times to not have answers for our pain...believe me..I've been there!..

To me...it seems like you need to be seeing another Dr. I see a Board Certified Neurosurgeon for my neck issues as I have 3 cervical fusion surgeries...They are the most experienced Dr. to treat any cervical issues..Just because they are a surgeon...does not mean you have to have surgery...

If you have two bulging discs....those can absolutely cause pain in some people...in others...they would never know it unless they got an MRI...But they have to be pressing 'somewhere' as they are bulging...they are most likely pressing on your nerves and muscle to cause pain...

May I ask what type of pain you have? Throbbing, dull, achey, sharp, burning, etc? Do you have any numbness or tingling down either of your arms, hands or fingers? Again...not a Dr....lol...just curious based on what I know with my spine issues..

Talking to your Dr. about the 'type' of pain you have is very important...As well as what you do that makes it better or worse throughout the day...

I can't remember if you are prescribed other medicines besides an opiate?

Have you gone through PT and learned stretching exercises for your neck?

If your muscles are hurting....then actually Ibuprofen will work a lot better than an opiate for inflammation pain. Each medicine we take is for a specific problem...Opiates certainly have their place but they just make us 'not care' as much about the pain...they don't target a specific issue. Just like a nerve pain medicine...that is just for that issue and works better than an opiate for that pain.

Just like a muscle relaxer...which sounds like your type of pain...Medicines like Flexerilo, Robaxin, or Skelaxin to name a few....I use Flexeril and it really helps my muscle pain way better than my opiate on that issue when it flares up.

If it were me...I would be finding another Dr. to be working with you to help diagnose you properly and then find the best modalities to go from there...Can't remember if you have done injections or other procedures either?

I have found that using a combination of modalities to help my pain works best. And for chronic pain...a 5 on the pain scale with all things being used is what most PM Dr.s shoot for...it's not about being out of pain completely unless there is something that can actually be fixed..

I do daily/weekly/monthly exercise (30-45 min. a day), yoga/stretching, acupuncture, massage, injections when needed, aqua therapy, I eat all Organic, I add anti inflammatory foods, I don't smoke, I have gone to therapy to help deal with chronic pain, I take a muscle relaxer, I am on a sleep medicine, and I'm on opiates as well but low doses...Some people are on an antidepressant that helps the pain/depression..etc...

So I don't just try those things once and stop...which some people make the mistake and do...or they think that one specific medicine should solve their entire issue...

Those are just some of the things that I do and recommend you at least talk to your Dr. about and make sure they are wanting to figure out your pain source..(again..thankful it's not injured tendons/ligaments) and then work with you on treating your entire self to find the best combination of modalities to help you manage your pain..

Last edited by Ilovemycutedog; 07-17-2011 at 08:24 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-17-2011, 08:59 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

nochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB User
Re: How do they diagnose soft tissue damage and/or tear in ligaments/tendons

hi Ilovemycutedog, pain is in the left side of the neck, sometimes the head hurts me(left side)also the ear hurts left side. The pain is not burning at all. It is severe pressure and severe stiffness also feels in one spot as TWITCHING(that is the worse, I don't know what to do about that twitching) and it also radiates towards the front of my neck. I turn my neck to both sides it hurts, even if I don't turn my neck it hurts.

arms, hands, fingers are ok, no tingling at all.

I am just trying to understand what can be the cause of this pain I have. It is interesting cause the doctor back then who checked me told me (just by looking at me)that all my tendonds, ligaments and muscles are damaged for life and my neck will hurt me till the rest of my life (and that is before I had done the mri).
My current doctor has the assumption those disks are pressing "somewhere" and that is why I am in pain.

I am also taking sleeping pills. dizepam/valium helps a lot but addictive also clonazepam 4mg. ibuprofen did nothing(even 600mg did nothing).

I remember couple of years ago I was sitting with the spine surgeon(never done a surgery)and he was really cool. Showed me where the bulging disks are located and I just cried for one hour!. I asked him if there is a way to bring it back to what it used to be - pushing those disks back and he said no, there is no way to do it. So he is a good surgeon, believe me.

So do you know what there is to do about this localized TWITCHING - That bothers me the most - that is why I cannot rest my neck on the pillow and only diazepam helps and my doctor said diazepam/valium is addictive but what can I do if that is the only thing that helps this twitching pain, I need 10mg valium to start with, I start stop start stop.

Believe me, I have been to the pain clinic whereby I was told I imagine the pain and that bulging disks cannot cause pain, that must be only the muscles contractions(so I was told there and that they cannot help me, why don't you work, they asked me there).

So if anybody here or you understand about twitching, let me know.
I just like me before the accident.....I was a different person.

Closed Thread