It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Chronic Pain Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-22-2011, 01:51 AM   #1
(female)

undiagosed HB User
Unhappy Anyone pregnant & have chronic pain?

Not sure if I should post here or in pregnancy...
I have been struggling with undiagosted facial pain for many years, having gone through many,many, doctors and loads on different medications.
After my first child was born the pain started then after a few years I became pregnant with my second child. The ob ok'd norco up to 4 or 6 I think and it sucked but she was born healthy but early by 2weeks as was my first. The hospital dr & nurses were total *****s even though my dr's approved of the need for meds. It was the only thing that really made the first days with her pretty bad.
Now 3years later I am pregnant again(6wks just found out) with the same ob and thinking real hard about having this baby at home with a midwife and an ob(like my first). Just to avoide the nurses and dr's.
My pain has not changed, it's ALWAYS there, and I am taking 7-9 a day depending on my face. It rules just about every facit of my life. Coloring how I handle stress and the people I love the most in my life.
The idea of cutting down? Makes me want to throw up but I can do that...I just don't want to.

What am I asking?
Is there any mama's going through something similar?
I feel like such a horride mother but the pain is so intence and overwhelming I don't know how to handle it. Nothing takes it away the just diminish it or takes the edge off.

The following user gives a hug of support to undiagosed:
janewhite1 (08-22-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-22-2011, 12:33 PM   #2
(female)

jessupl HB User
Re: Anyone pregnant & have chronic pain?

I know that most OB doctors will look to see if the benefits you receive from the medication outweigh the risks. Like say there is 15% chance that being on your meds could cause damage to your baby...but you are in horrible pain (which puts a huge amount of stress on both you and baby). Tylenol is pretty much the only thing on the OK list but that isn't going to cut it for chronic pain.

This is a converation you need to have with your OB doctor. Explain to him/her how horrible this pain is and the stress it is causing you. Tell that doctor what helped in the past and ask them to go over it with you or possibly there may be a different medication you could try.

As a pregnant mommy I know everyone tries to scare you. I know this is a little TMI, but I've always had constipation and was on medication for it. I talked to my doctor about it and she told me I shouldn't risk it because it's a category X (meaning outcome to baby is not known). This caused horrible constipation and the doctor finally started letting me take my meds again and my baby was fine.

So just have an open discussion with your doctor about it and other possibilities. I know you want your baby to be happy, but you need to be happy too. Plus it sounds like you have another couple of children that you are taking care of as well. This is going to be pretty hard on you if you are in extreme pain all the time.

I also have a friend who got off her antidpressants to get pregnant and lately I guess she's been having thoughts of suicide. These are the types of things I'm talking about. I think it would be better to have her take the antidipressants rather than driving her car off a bridge.

I just hope you can find a good doc that understands that and will not treat you like crap if you should happen to stay on your pain meds during pregnancy.

If you do end up staying on your meds, just do everything else to keep you healthy..eat super good, get some walking in if you can, practice some relaxation, etc.

I would imagine the stress and pain you are dealing with would be just as bad if not worse than just taking the meds that you need.

But again, that's just my opinion, just make sure to talk to your doctor first.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread