It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Chronic Pain Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-05-2011, 06:08 AM   #1
(male)

Altair IV HB User
Recurring Pain in Lower Right Side Below Ribs

I am 57 year old 5 foot 9 inch, 200 pound who suffers from recurring pain in my lower right side below my ribs. The pain is located one foot under my right arm pit and at the same height as my navel. The pain sharp and sometimes stabbing, other times it is a dull annoying pain.

The pain started in about 1994 or 95. My doctor said it was my gallbladder and it was removed in 1995. In the past the pain will go away completely and then return for sometimes days, weeks, or months, and then go away again sometimes for months at a time.

I have has over the past sixteen or so years I have had many test to try to determine what is causing the pain. After having the below test the Radiologist, Doctors, or Labs could not find any abnormality.

These are the test I have had performed.

Sixteen or more blood test.
Five urine lab test including 24 hour urine test.
Two colonoscopies performed by two different Doctors.
Five or more ultrasounds performed at two different Radiology Centers.
Five or more CT Scans performed at three different Radiology Centers.
Five or more KUB X-rays performed at three different Radiology Centers.

I also suffer from multiple kidney stone attacks in both kidneys. Starting in 1995 I have had thirteen procedures to remove stones through Shock Wave Lithotripsy (ESWL), or Laser Lithotripsy, or Ureteroscopy. The Doctors have determined this pain is not caused by kidney stones as the pain is still present after the stones have been removed.

I would appreciate any help.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-07-2011, 09:31 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User
Re: Recurring Pain in Lower Right Side Below Ribs

Has anyone tested you for back issues? Specifically, have you had a MRI of your lumbar and thoracic spine?

Have you noticed whether your pain is better if you sit or lie down? I'm wondering if it is spinal stenosis rather than a problem with an internal organ.

Old 09-09-2011, 08:10 PM   #3
(male)

Altair IV HB User

Tetonteri66,

Thanks for the reply. Iíve had several CT scans but I do not believe I have had a MRI. The pain is about the same all the time. It does seem to get a little better if I lie on my side in the recliner.

Last edited by Altair IV; 09-09-2011 at 08:11 PM.

Old 09-22-2011, 11:20 PM   #4
(female)

recovery5636 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altair IV View Post
Tetonteri66,

Thanks for the reply. Iíve had several CT scans but I do not believe I have had a MRI. The pain is about the same all the time. It does seem to get a little better if I lie on my side in the recliner.
Hi,
I'm reading this and I feel so bad for you. I have been suffering through your exact pain for two years now. I have had all the tests you have had minust the colonoscopy. I am 37yrs old and I have had kidney stones on a yearly basis since 1998. My stones have always been small enough to pass on their own however my brother gets the larger ones like you have had and has had to have them blasted as well. I am ready to cry because I have felt crazy at times, or been made to feel like a drug seeker, because no one can find any abnormalities in me as well. I will tell you this much...I was a fire fighter for 13 years, in excellent shape and now as much as I miss running I can not exercise because it makes me sick to my stomach with the medication (vicoden, tramadol, 800mg IbProfrn). I have found some relief by using a combo of these and also Lidicain (sp?) patches. However the pain with me is constant...some days its just a small annoyance and other days I can barely stand it. I am meeting with a pain mngt doctor next week and would like to try acupuncture and I'll also request an MRI. I will keep you posted and I hope you will keep me posted as well on your progress. I hope you find an answer soon and you can find some relief. I also feel better when I lay on my right side..either on a towel or a pillow, or moving around helps. My pain seems to be worse at night during bed time. I am so hopeful that one day I'll have an answer because this has really begun, as I'm sure it has for you, affect my quality of life, missing wknd getaways, loss of sleep, harder to focus at work etc..plus I hate taking pills. I can't wait to get back to my old self, drug free, working out in the gym and traveling whenever I want. Good luck to you!

Closed Thread