It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Chronic Pain Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-30-2011, 06:46 PM   #1
(female)

krissyk73 HB User
on methadone..don't understand

I am wondering how I can still have so much pain on methadone? It worked great when I first started on it for fibro and chronic back pain. Dr put me on this because she didn't want me to get addicted to vicodin? Very confused about that after researching and finding out w/d from methadone is 10x worse. Can anyone clear this up for me? and do I need an increase already in the methadone? I have been on it since april i think.
thank you!

Old 11-01-2011, 09:44 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Shoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB User
Re: on methadone..don't understand

Hi Krissy, It is possible to develop tolerance to any med. Some docs choose methadone because generally you dont see rapid tolerance issues with it, but no amount of any drug gaurentees pain relief. Meth is certainly stronger per mg and a long acting med is the preferred way to manage chronic pain. It's just something you will have to discuss with your doc. Changes in weather, particularly this time of year it's fairly normal to have increasd pain. Having to increase at every weather change can certainly cause concern. I generally adjust to the weather after a couple weeks or months into the season change. You may have experienced a bit of a honeymoon switching from hydro to meth given the strength difference but this is just something you and your doc need to discuss and see if an adjustment would be in order or possibly using an adjunct med to enhance the effects like cymbalta. Good luck, Dave

The Following User Says Thank You to Shoreline For This Useful Post:
krissyk73 (11-04-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-01-2011, 11:09 AM   #3
(male)

mrpainiac HB User

Methadone is synthetic Moriphine it's mostly used for opiate withdraw and does not work for every thing. The withdraw is worse than Heroin withdraw. You should get off of it by first weaning down and taking another med like Norco or Vicodin then wean off that to tramodol. suffice to say your are addicted.
God speed.

The Following User Says Thank You to mrpainiac For This Useful Post:
krissyk73 (11-04-2011)
Old 11-01-2011, 01:41 PM   #4
(female)

krissyk73 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpainiac View Post
Methadone is synthetic Moriphine it's mostly used for opiate withdraw and does not work for every thing. The withdraw is worse than Heroin withdraw. You should get off of it by first weaning down and taking another med like Norco or Vicodin then wean off that to tramodol. suffice to say your are addicted.
God speed.
Thank you for your reply, but how do I switch? My primary dr took me off vicodin because she didn't want me addicted. Which after learning more about methadone I completly do not understand. Any suggestions?

Old 11-04-2011, 11:34 AM   #5
(male)

macdog HB Usermacdog HB User

I have chronic pain due to scoliosis and ruptured discs. Spent about 5 years on Methadone going up and down through different doses and multiple medication holidays. At the height, I was on 80mg of methadone a day and the highest fentynal patch and still had pain. After two failed attempts to go on Suboxone which sent me into precipitated withdrawals, I needed something different.

Recently, I spent 3 weeks at a chronic pain rehabilitation program. Over time, they took me off all narcotics and replaced it with a large dose of neurontin. They also taught me to begin to strengthen my body again as all of my resting had only worsened my condition. I learned a lot about drugs and what they do to your brain and how what affects your perception of pain. The time there helped redeem my life and families.

I think the most shocking thing I heard was 75% of chronic pain patients don't respond to opiate therapy. Your body is no longer sending pain signals in reaction to an injury, but your brain is actually sending out pain signals to your body.

Methadone is tough stuff and I am sure provides relief for some. It also can have some devastating side effects including depression, anxiety, isolation, etc. Just be careful and be cognizant of the risk reward.

I am thankful to know that there are other options. I will always have pain, but can now weigh the opportunity cost of activities/pain and some days are better than others.

Hope you find your answers.

The Following User Says Thank You to macdog For This Useful Post:
krissyk73 (11-04-2011)
Old 03-21-2012, 11:17 AM   #6
(male)

Mikeh66 HB UserMikeh66 HB User

What is your dosage? I had to have an increase twice within 6 months for chronic back pain. My dosage now is 3 10mg 3 x a day (90mg/day).

Old 03-21-2012, 11:55 AM   #7
(male)

macdog HB Usermacdog HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeh66 View Post
What is your dosage? I had to have an increase twice within 6 months for chronic back pain. My dosage now is 3 10mg 3 x a day (90mg/day).
Mikeh66,

Not sure if this question is for me or not but I am not on any habituating drugs now. Only on Nuerontin and Effexor which combined provide me more relief than I have had in over 9 years now.

I realize everyone is different and methadone will work for some, but remember to trust your instincts about whether it is working for you. Also, be your own advocate when it comes to your care. Most doctors will use every tool in their toolbox to help but no one has every tool.

Take care,

Mike

The Following User Says Thank You to macdog For This Useful Post:
Mikeh66 (03-23-2012)
Reply Reply