It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Chronic Pain Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-01-2011, 07:03 PM   #1
(female)

elizabeth663 HB User
Worried about seeing pain mgt doctor tomorrow

Here's why. In 2005 I injured my L5 S1 resulting in a herniated disc on the left side. My pain doctor had me on darvocet for 4 years but switched to percocet when darvocet went off the market. In those 5 years I never ran out early. Last year my doctor moved away and I found someone local to manage my pain. In Jan 2011, my pain worsened unexpectedly, got a new MRI and it showed the herniation was now on both sides (doctor refused to increase pain meds or give me stronger ones) I had to "tough it out."

Now, last Monday was my first day of PT (he ordered it). They put me on a "stretching machine" with 40 lbs of weight (to decompress the disc). As soon as I got off the table I was in agony! I stopped pt, and since Monday last week I have been in terrible, terrible pain that is continuing to worsen. I tried to get into his office for an emergent visit at least 4 times, but they always told me the earliest was 11/03. I have taken most of my percocet trying to keep the pain to a tolerable (I got it filled 10/21) so you can see how much I've gone through. I even went to the ER twice because I couldn't get out of bed on my own...too much pain!

So I am scared to see him tomorrow (but I am still in a great deal of pain) because I am afraid he's going to dismiss me (even though this is the first time on 6 years that I will be short on my meds). I feel like this is his fault (or his staff's) because I called him twice before I went to the ER. I mean, if he isn't available for an emergency, what is the patient supposed to do? My instinct is to reduce my pain to a tolerable level however possible, and percocet is a short acting pain killer.

Has anyone had something like this happen? Am I wrong in taking my meds more often because I couldn't reach him for instructions?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread