It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Chronic Pain Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-05-2011, 11:25 PM   #1
(male)

poorboy126 HB User
Newbie to site in need of advice

Ok well first off Hello, my name is Doug but everyone calls me poorboy. I have a serious back problem with discs L2,3,& 4 getting inflamed and rubbing on each other with about brings me to tears sometimes. I also have a problem with my bottom disc being described to me as "smashed into my bottom" which I guess is bad but I'm not the doctor so I will just take his word on it. And lastly I have something wrong with the sides of my neck, the chiropractor tried to explain it to me but I think if I understood him right it's that the thingys going up each side of my neck aren't straight or lined up correctly and this is causing daily pain severe at times and almost daily headaches. I have numerous x-rays to prove these findings. I just can't believe that a 36yr old man that stands 6'4" weighing 245 and use to be known as being able to hold his own is know feeling like a broke down cripple that to be honest cries at night laying awake in bed because the pain is just to servere to fall asleep. I haven't went to a pain clinic because I honestly don't want to be labeled a pill popper and I mean no ill will to any of you with ligitimate reasons to go to a pain clinic but in these days we all have heard the stories and I guess I am just weird. I really don't know why I'm telling this all to complete strangers but I hate to bore my wife with my problems I guess because I still feel some pride in being a big man But in all honesty I need help and I'm hoping I can find some answers on this forum. I do see my family doctor and she prescribes me Percet 10/650's 3 times daily but with no refills and trust me when I say it was like pulling teeth to get her to do this. I got the speech about how she is not a pain mgmt facility and I need to think about having back surgery etc. I honestly cannot be out of work, in this day and age I'm damn lucky to have a great paying job and I have a family that relies on my so surgery is out of the question. I'm doing the chiropractor deal now for the last two months and I think I'm actually hurting more. I work a very hectic work week consisting of Sun night through Fri night 4pm to 5am with Wed and Sat nights off so I usually work 65hrs a week. I'm hoping someone can tell me something I should be asking my doctor for that is stronger then the 10/650 Percet's and that maybe are a extended release that lasts longer? The percocet only last about 3 hours so I end up having to take up to 4 a day and I sometimes run out before the end of the month and just have to suffer till I can get the doc to write another script. Don't get me wrong, the Percocet work good but I want something that lasts longer so I don't have to take so many pills a day. Is there something out there like what I'm looking for? Sorry for being so long winded but it's 1am and I can't sleep and I wanted to be as thorough as possible. Thanks for all of your time and look forward to any and all advice and tips.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-25-2011, 10:51 PM   #2
(female)

DDD Sara HB UserDDD Sara HB UserDDD Sara HB User
Re: Newbie to site in need of advice

Hi Just wondered if wearing a back brace would help when you're working? Before I went out on disability I took a muscle relaxant and an anti-inflammatory to help with the pain. The muscle relaxant after I got home from work as it made me too sleepy.

A TENs unit may help also and they don't cost a lot. Cymbalta has also helped with my low back pain and nerve pain also. Maybe your Dr. would help with a slow release narcotic for pain relief and it doesn't make you tired I found anyway with Percocet. Seeing a Physiotherapist may help or aquatherapy where the water is warm and helps relax the muscles. Best wishes. Sara

Old 01-06-2012, 12:45 PM   #3
(female)

7165ed HB User
Re: Newbie to site in need of advice

You really have to go to a pain management clinic and forget about being a pill popper. in the beginning my GP was very tight with pain meds so I had to go to PM or just roll up in a ball and cry. I did have a MRI and eventually surgery. Wasn't happy about that but thr dr. said if I didn't have it I would be in a wheel chair. I still have pain. You first have to get out of pain so you can work and go from there with a PM dr. I really feel for you because I have been there.

Closed Thread