It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Chronic Pain Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-22-2011, 09:38 PM   #1
(female)

ilovemy3girls HB User
21 year old mom with chronic back pain shots vs meds?

For the past 2 1/2+ years I have had chronic lower back pain. I am a VERY busty girl and only 5' tall. But my PM doc says my breast size has absolutely nothing to do with my pain. I have 3 children 2 of which are only 11 months and 11 days apart. I have been referred to pain management because of the end of my pregnancy... but I PM didn't want to deal with me because I was breastfeeding my youngest daughter. So... I had to wait some more. I had to quit nursing my baby because of the lower back pain...I still feel that it was a very selfish desicion but my pain was affecting our nursing relationship because I couldn't hold her for her to latch well. I went back to PM and he scheduled me for my first ESI. After zero relief... he told me he was going to do a different injection straight into the hypertrophic facet joints. He also told me that I would have 6 injections each time, for 3 Mondays in a row. So... I have only got the 1st series. Now, mind you, I don't work (so my husband works 60 hours a week) and I have 3 children to take care of by myself. And for these injections I have to get put under. After my 1st ESI I couldn't walk for two days when I tried I had severely painful muscle spasms in my lower back, left butt cheek and left leg. It has been two days since my 1st series of the FJI's and I am starting to feel the same crap. But yet the doctor refuses to give me any medication for the pain. So not only am I in severe pain but I can't do anything after these stupid injections either I called my PM office and they told me to take ibuprofen for the pain and spasms but it is doing nothing and doesn't seem concerned about my pain or concern of side effects and still wants to do 6 more injections next monday. Any recommendations? I am scared that if I refuse the injections my PM doctor will not want to see me anymore or tell me there is nothing more he can do for me. Should I continue with the shots and just pray for relief, (which from reading on here not many people find relief from the injections), like I said I am 21 years old starting this early how many injections can i get... I have expressed my concern to him and he blows it off. And I have also asked him how long this pain would last, if it would worsen over time and he had no answers. I am so frustrated and I dont know what to do. I also hear these shots cause tissue damage?! How in the hell are they going to treat my pain by causing tissue damage that in turn could worsen my pain! PLEASE HELP!

Last edited by ilovemy3girls; 11-22-2011 at 11:14 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-12-2011, 06:26 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

jonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB User
Re: 21 with lumbar arthritis... Shots or meds?

I'd seriously consider seeing another PM doctor - this one doesnt seem to have the right attitude. The injections may well be right for you long term, but some sympathy and help with the pain here and now would be nice...... giving you some Vocidin for 2 or 3 days after the shots would be quite safe and would help you out no end.

I'd try and find someone a little more sympathetic and understanding.

Multiple anecdotes do not equal evidence - Me

Old 12-27-2011, 03:21 PM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User

Perhaps a new PM doctor. And seeing your PCP for a referral to a plastic surgeon for consideration of breast reduction. Many health plans do cover reduction and it can indeed help spine pain. If you currently have lumbar problems, you may have a propensity for spine problems, and a large bust can cause cervical and thoracic problems.

Old 01-04-2012, 05:31 PM   #4
(male)

JT143 HB User

I started with sciatica and back pain when I was 17. The best advice I can give you is stay away from pain medication (opiates) as much as possible unless the pain is really bad. Now, I am not saying you have to suffer but if you are truly suffering I would find an alternative doctor that will treat you better. I just don't want to see another young person like me given a ton of unnecessary pain meds and end up with bigger problems down the road.

Joe

Old 01-04-2012, 05:43 PM   #5
Facilitator
(female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User

If you manage Pain Management medications well it doesn't need to be an issue. I've been on pain meds for over 2 yr and have not had any problems. I'd rather not be on opiod medications but without them I'd never be able to function at all.

Old 01-05-2012, 06:34 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

BB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB User
Re: 21 year old mom with chronic back pain shots vs meds?

there are many, many treatments and therapies a pm doc ccan try-and i went thru them all-the last time i had inj to my spine-the pain intesified so bad to the point i could not walk or move w/o terrible pain an ended up being taken via ems for emrg admission for ih pain control for 4 days-no more inj for me! i too dislike the fact that opiates are the only thing that controls the pain-but this is a fact for me-i could not function at all without the help of the opiate meds i am prescribed. i suffered a high impact traumatic vehicular accident and am lucky just to be alive. but my injuries left me with permanent severe chronic pain and had to go on total disibility as i had no other choice. nobody would pick to live in severe chronic pain that can be very difficult to manage.

Closed Thread