It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Chronic Pain Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2011, 09:21 PM   #1
(male)

tg300049 HB User
Chest Pain

Hello.
I'm 17 years of age, in fairly decent shape.

A year ago, I was helping lift a TV when all of a sudden this sharp pain which I can only describe felt like a heart attack hit me. I had to spend a couple minutes sitting down until the intense pain subsided. Though I know it was not a heart attack (as i did not feel heart pain, only chest pain), I knew it was odd. The pain subsided and I carried on like usual.

A couple weeks later, I had something that I knew was an Anxiety attack. I have a tendency to be very anxious, though that was my first anxiety attack (and last, as far as I know). A couple weeks after that, i tripped and fell on my arm in a weird way (though the pain from that subsided.)

Shortly afterwards, I had to move, and 2011 became a very stressful year for me. For about a month, I had sharp pain in my upper chest (near my neck) and in my back (between my shoulder blades). It felt like my chest wall was in pain, and i had difficulty taking deep breaths. This persisted for about a month before it subsided.

The stress did not stop, but the pain did, however I soon began to associate my chest anomaly with stress, as days when I would be stressing out, the pain would come back in a dull way and make it harder for me to breathe. I assumed once I got back on my life with a less stressful life style (hoping to have less stress in january) it would subside.

Though previously stress related, I had little to no stress yesterday when I was walking and suddenly the pain overtook me. The sharp back and chest pain made it harder for me to breathe and taking a step hurt badly. I still hurt today, but definitely not as bad.

The pain gets worse when I lay down on my back or sides, but begins to fade away once I've stayed in that position for a while.

My condition is often accompanied by a dry cough.

Could anybody narrow this down for me?

Last edited by tg300049; 12-09-2011 at 10:59 PM. Reason: added dry cough information

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-28-2011, 08:47 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Shoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB User
Re: Chest Pain

Hi TG, All anyone can do as guess at what might cause this kind of pain, Torn cartlidge between the ribs, costro condritis, where you spererat the the area where the sternum comes together, etc etc. You need to see a doc and don't stop untill you have a definitive answer. My cousin dveloped testicular cancer when he was 21 , The odds of having it at that age are very low so nobody considered it, It took a year and over 20 trips to the ER and to urologists, being called a drug seeker by many different ER docs untill the right test was finally done, He was fortunate they cought it, He had lost 45 lbs that year and was near death but he did recover.

I know we have a tendency to accept what docs say without too much question but in all honesty you could have a heart condition. There are plenty of stories about teenagers dropping dead during HS sports. That's where I would start, you simply can't ignore and self DX chest pain. That pain right through you chest to the middle of your shoulder blades was one of the things I experienced during both my heart attacks, and it's painful enough to stop you in your tracks, I got pale, clamy and and also hard the classic left armpain, but everyone is different. I Had my first one on my 36th Birhday but had put off several ealier bouts self DXing myself with GERDS or REFLUX, More stress related things, I couldn't be more wrong and am lucky to have survived blockages of the widow maker, That's what they call a blockage and MI of the left anterior descending arterie, so nothing is impossible. It's easiest to get the testing you need for a heart problem if you go to the ER while having chest pain. Sure it could be gerds, reflux or any number of issues that send a signal up the same nerve pathway that heart atacks send their sugnal. But since you or noone in your family is a doctor, self DXing is tricky and potentially life ending business. Docs take vhest pain serriously in the ER. At the very least they would do an EKG and bloood work to look for the enzymes that show up when heart muscle is damaged during a miocardial infarcction "MI is a heart attack" go to the ER while an episode is happening because you really dont know unles youhave done some minimal testing. Then their is follow up tst like a stress test "the treadmill test" they can do in this test in the offoce ofice of a larger cardiac group or they can set it up at your hospital. If you have insurance under your parents name , ir's the best time. Rather than waiting untill your out on your own, have no insurance and are trying to make a decsion if it's worth spending the money on an ER trip.

As far as stress making it worse, it's like that with any kind of pain. There is a mind body connection, that doesn't mean the pain is all in your head, but anyone with chronic pain is going to feel worse the higher the level of stress.
Good luck, Dave

Last edited by Shoreline; 12-29-2011 at 06:29 AM. Reason: more about heart issues.

Closed Thread