It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Chronic Pain Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2012, 04:45 PM   #1
(male)

thor89 HB User
young man left untreated

I am twenty two and have had lower back issues for over three years. I power lifted for six years and destroyed my back. It got horrible in September 09 and I was house bound for three weeks and had to take hydro. I got an MRI and nothing showed up. In the fall of that year I worked with a very good chiro and pt who saved my life. Everything was fine until the spring semester of 2011. My pain came back with a vengeance and I have been dealing with a bare minimum of level six pain everyday with it ratcheting up to a eight to nine. My pediatrician prescribed me medication on and off four six months while I went from pain clinic to pain clinic. I have been told that I was making it up, that it was in my head, etc. I have head two MRI, two nerve conduction tests, seven injections, five NSAID's (which ruined my stomach), lyrica, neurontin, and cymbalta. The current PM doctor I am working with informed me that my pain was not bad and he would never prescribe me opiates. I had to fight just to get Ultram and muscle relaxants which do nothing. So far with this PM I have had four facet joint injections which have done nothing, and am being pushed to get an ablation. After every shot both facet and epidural I have a flair up with pain that leaves me crying. The internist I am with now told me that I was an addict because I have developed a tolerance to the Oxycodone my pediatrician had been prescribing me. I also suffer from Aspergers syndrome, depression and anxiety. I have trouble communicating with doctors and they always get the perception that because I am young and have mental health issues I am a drug seeker or will become an addict. Before my back pain I was working 20+hrs going to school full time and had a robust social life all of that has been taken away from me. Despite this I decided to get my bachelors and am in my second semester, I have achieved a 3.8 GPA all while dealing with this pain without meds for the majority of my semester. My professors think I am ivy league material and I desperately want to stay in school and pursue my dream of becoming a professor in medieval history. I do not understand how the medical community expects me to live with this amount of pain. I have the support of my family and shrink and they all think I should on medication so I can live a normal life. I am looking for support and advice.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-13-2012, 10:09 PM   #2
(male)

HaZeX HB User
Re: young man left untreated

Quote:
Originally Posted by thor89 View Post
I am twenty two and have had lower back issues for over three years. I power lifted for six years and destroyed my back. It got horrible in September 09 and I was house bound for three weeks and had to take hydro. I got an MRI and nothing showed up. In the fall of that year I worked with a very good chiro and pt who saved my life. Everything was fine until the spring semester of 2011. My pain came back with a vengeance and I have been dealing with a bare minimum of level six pain everyday with it ratcheting up to a eight to nine. My pediatrician prescribed me medication on and off four six months while I went from pain clinic to pain clinic. I have been told that I was making it up, that it was in my head, etc. I have head two MRI, two nerve conduction tests, seven injections, five NSAID's (which ruined my stomach), lyrica, neurontin, and cymbalta. The current PM doctor I am working with informed me that my pain was not bad and he would never prescribe me opiates. I had to fight just to get Ultram and muscle relaxants which do nothing. So far with this PM I have had four facet joint injections which have done nothing, and am being pushed to get an ablation. After every shot both facet and epidural I have a flair up with pain that leaves me crying. The internist I am with now told me that I was an addict because I have developed a tolerance to the Oxycodone my pediatrician had been prescribing me. I also suffer from Aspergers syndrome, depression and anxiety. I have trouble communicating with doctors and they always get the perception that because I am young and have mental health issues I am a drug seeker or will become an addict. Before my back pain I was working 20+hrs going to school full time and had a robust social life all of that has been taken away from me. Despite this I decided to get my bachelors and am in my second semester, I have achieved a 3.8 GPA all while dealing with this pain without meds for the majority of my semester. My professors think I am ivy league material and I desperately want to stay in school and pursue my dream of becoming a professor in medieval history. I do not understand how the medical community expects me to live with this amount of pain. I have the support of my family and shrink and they all think I should on medication so I can live a normal life. I am looking for support and advice.

I know what your going through trying to find a Pain DR. Took me well close to year to find one that wouldn't shrug me off because of my age. Im lucky that my orthopedic dr and PCP took care of me until I was able to find a Dr that prescribes me what I need. Im 22 also, its like were not allowed to be in pain.

Last edited by HaZeX; 03-13-2012 at 10:12 PM.

The following user gives a hug of support to HaZeX:
thor89 (03-16-2012)
Old 03-14-2012, 05:16 AM   #3
(male)

thor89 HB User

Thanks I will not give up. The clinic I am with now is supposed to be the best but even to get Ultram my mom had to tell them how she had to drive me home from school and I was writhing on the floor that day. One of my old PT's is supposed top call me with a reference for a PM who is compassionate. Both shots did nothing yet they are pushing for a third set, I feel like a human pin cushion. I am happy that you found a PM doc that would prescribe for you it gives me hope.

Old 03-15-2012, 01:19 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

Boxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB User

I so can relate. I too was in horrible pain while I was in college. Mine actually started when I was 12 and I went over 20 years before a diagnsis and treatment. I later found out my records from back when I was 19 showed what was wrong the docs just missed it and I have suffered for it and will continue to. I no longer have the chance to go into remission and will probably die of my disease. The good news is I have a compassionate and excellent pain doc so my quality of life has greatly improved.

The only advice I can give you is never give up! Don't allow them to break your spirit or convince you are crazy which is what almost happened to me. Most people are devastated to get the kind of diagnosis I did but I was vindicated and relieved. I KNEW there was soething seriously wrong with me, I was NOT crazy. You will find the right doc, just stand your ground!

Old 03-17-2012, 08:32 AM   #5
(male)

thor89 HB User

I see the RN on Thursday and my mom will be there to advocate for me. She is going to push for a ct myelogram and more potent meds so I can continue to stay in school. What really gets me is that even though I went to the ER on Christmas eve b/c I did not want to take more then prescribed (1 pill every six hrs) I still get flack from the doctors b/c of what I was taking. Damned if you do damned if you don't I suppose. Thanks for the support its keeping my spirits up.

Last edited by thor89; 03-18-2012 at 10:07 AM.

Reply Reply