It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Chronic Pain Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-02-2012, 11:49 PM   #1
(female)

sototallybroken HB User
Unhappy Severe back pain need advice

Hello everyone I am new here and was hoping to get some advice I guess I should start by giving some background on my situation.
I am 30 years old a mother of 3 two girls 12 and 13 and a 2 year old little boy. My pain started at 17 after being hit by a drunk driver when I was pregnant with my 12 year old, I was riding a bike crossing a road along the highway a one way road no one was supposed to come onto the highway from, however the woman was drunk and couldn't be bothered to read the do not enter sign I guess, I was thrown across the highway into the divider and had to be moved before paramedics arrived because I was nearly hit by a second car after making impact with the divider. My pain has been getting steadily worse since I have tried everything before medication being young I figured I could just rebuild the muscle and it would help the bones I was wrong.
When I was 23 I was diagnosed with multiilevel degenerative disc disease, herniated discs, bulging discs, sciatica, forminal stenosis, scoliosis, and a torn thecal sac in my spine, again I thought I'm young I'll get stronger I don't need help wrong again. I started seeing a pain doctor who started me on 15mg oxycodone every 2-4 hours as needed for break through pain and 40mg oxycontin 3x daily for long releif and xanex for the anxiety from the pain. I couldn't handle the oxycontin so I was switched to the 30 mg oxycodone 8 x daily and 1mg xanex 3 x daily. Still too much so I consulted another doctor who put me on the 30mg oxycodone every 4-6 hours as needed and it worked nearly perfectly with exception to the sciatica whenever my nerve pinched it takes my breathe away and takes me off my feet.
I had to move after I gave birth to my son in 09 so I left NJ to move to TX for financial reasons and it afforded me the ability to own my own home and go back to school. The problem is when I moved here the new doctor made a drastic change to my medication she switched me to 10/325mg norco from what I was already on I have tried for over a year to deal with the pain I am in and cannot do it any longer but don't know what to do or why she drastically reduced my medication this way. Most days I can barely get out of bed and when I can I can't be on my feet more than 10 minutes without being in agony I have a very low pain thresh hold. I can't exerciise and as such have gained almost 90 lbs since moving here all I want is to get back to my life be able to lose the weight and get healthy again and be able to play with my 2 year old he doesn't deserve to be pent up in the house all the time because I can't take him out to play. I do not know how to approach this doctor about the medication and have not been able to find a pain doctor or clinic anywhere in or around austin that either takes my insurance or is affordable enough to pay for without it.

The following user gives a hug of support to sototallybroken:
janiee08 (05-15-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-03-2012, 01:01 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User
Re: Severe back pain need advice

Don't try to figure out a clever way to approach your Dr. Just be straight with him/her.

"My PM Doc in NJ had me on Oxycodone 30mg 4-6 times a day and it worked extremely well, I was able to take care of my home, my children and work. Since you've switched me to Norco, the pain has increased dramatically to the point that some days I cannot get out of bed, I can't take care of my children or home like this. Would you please put me back on the meds that worked?" If he/she says No, then ask why?

If your Dr. won't switch you back then you either have to live with it or find a new Dr., which means you might have to drive to Fort Worth or other surrounding areas if there's not another option in Dallas.

This is probably a silly question, but you brought your medical records with you, right?

Kat

Old 05-03-2012, 01:34 AM   #3
(female)

sototallybroken HB User

yes including the imaging discs and typed out reports along with the last bottle I had of my prescription that did last me until I got here. When I first saw her she said she did not have a triplicate pad on her but would change it upon the next visit but I did bring it up at the following appointment and another a few months later as I see her once a month, sometimes a little sooner she has me call a week before my prescription runs out to schedule and is usually out within a few days to see me as I cannot drive so I have a home visit I cannot chance a sciatic spasm behind the wheel of a car it would not only put mine and my chldren's lives in danger but that of anyone driving around me too. I really just don't understand why a doctor would make that drastic of a change to medications and on top of it agree to put me back on my medication and then just give me the run around about it. She is a very sweet woman very nice to myself and my family seems understanding and caring but I don't know maybe afraid to write the medication because of all the bad press or the amount of people who abuse such medications, you would think by now she would know I'm not one of them I never call for medication early and even though they do not work I don't over use or abuse them. She is coming again on Friday I guess I can bring it up again and if she doesn't want to write it or atleast explore another option that could help with the exception of injections again because that aggrevates my sciatica severely I will have to look for another doctor. Thank you for the advice.

Old 05-03-2012, 03:42 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User

There is another possibility, is she a GP, General Practioner, like a family doc? If she is, they are now required to take certain Certification Classes to be able to prescribe Schedule II Meds for Long Term Pain Management. She may not have gotten the Certification.

Another thing you might do since you know she's coming on Friday is call the office tomorrow and leave a message saying you want to talk about changing your meds back like she agreed at her previous visit, so could she please make sure and bring a triplicate script pad. Then she can't say she forgot it.

Is it an actual M.D. that comes to your house or a P.A. or an N.P.?

Kat

Old 05-09-2012, 10:30 PM   #5
(female)

johnjoey9 HB User

Have you seen a doctor and asked if you could have RSD. You sound like my situation.
Melissa

Old 05-15-2012, 03:19 AM   #6
(female)

Divaj HB User
Question Re: Severe back pain need advice

SO TOTALLY BROKEN, do I understand you correctly that you WERE driving but now do not drive because of your fear of a sciatic spasm?

Regardless, I believe a previous post was right in that you need to be communicating with someone who understands a little better the impact of chronic pain on family life which is PM (although no one knows what its like to be in your shoes, neither PM doctors as they don't have chronic pain but surely better than a GP).

What really struck me was the statement about your one child "pent up inside the house". Children need to be active and be exposed to others. I fear this situation may have a lasting and/or negative impact on his/her development.

You are the patient, not the doctor. You are there to be helped and since it appears you have not given the doctor any reason to mistrust you, and surely ample time to "get that triplicate pad" (wink, wink, yes, I think she's playing you), I would try to find either a friend or pay someone to drive you where you need to go.

At the next appointment, I would throw the statement about your child's development out there and explain that "I've been coming here for ________ months but nothing has changed and I still cannot function as a mother, individual, and am actually going backwards since I'm so discouraged. If you cannot or will not prescibe what helped me be less confined, please refer me to a PM doctor."

If she refuses, get your script and find one yourself. It may mean going farther away or paying someone to take you but before I make any trips, I would explain your story to the person at the potential PM office starting from how well you did until you moved to TX/changed doctors. Please explain the impact on your children, your feelings of absence as a mother, inability to drive, etc. Also explain that you are NOT asking for them to do what your "feeling better" doctor did but merely a chance to make a change for SOME improvement. I would also say how she told you she didn't have her triplicate pad but that was months ago and you are steadily declining with more and more of you and your family's life disappearing.

Please look up Patient Advocacy Foundation and Xubex on the internet. They may be able to help you.

I was born with my back ailments (the same ones you have now as well as coccydynia) and made the chice to not marry or have a family due to my health issues so my heart truly goes out to you.

You deserve better. As long as she knows she can get away with not offering you the treatment that will improve your quality of life, she will continue to do so. She may not be ABLE to treat you because she doesn't know how but now it's up to you to make a choice. Remember, YOU are the patient and you are in control.

That situation has gone on far too long IMHO.

Hugs to you,

Divaj

Reply Reply