It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Chronic Pain Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-04-2012, 09:07 AM   #1
(female)

lciocco HB User
Angry Severe ongoing lung pain after lung surgery

I have had chronic pain for years now. After having a lung resection in November for lung cancer I have been having sever pain in that lung right where the surgery was. I have been on vicodin for years for chronic abdominal pain. However, this pain is out of control and whenever I go to my family Dr or ER all the tests show nothing. Im at the end of my rope. I see a pain clinic once a month and when I told them to vics were not working anymore he said Im on the highest dose and I would have to go to a long term medication - I dont even know what that means. I thinking about finding another doctor because my insurance no longer covers this one and he wants me to have all these x-rays that have to be paid for by cash. He sends them to a friend to look at. He says he thinks its my back. I could care less about my back I want the chronic lung and abdominal pain gone now. What do I do?

Last edited by lciocco; 05-04-2012 at 09:11 AM.

Old 05-04-2012, 03:30 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User
Re: Severe ongoing lung pain after lung surgery

Not much you can do. You either have to have the tests at that pain docs clinic and go with his suggestions for long acting meds. Or find a new Pain Management doc that your insurance pays for, have all of their tests and do what they want you to do, which may or may not be the same as your current pain doc.

Long term or Long Acting meds are meds that are slow release and are supposed to last for 12 hours. They are usually prescribed twice a day, morning and night. These meds build up your blood plasma level so that the pain control is a constant steady control. These meds include Morphine, Oxycontin, Opana, Fentanyl, etc. Often Dr.'s will RX a short acting med like Vicodin along with them for Break thru pain.

The Vicodin that you are taking now is a short acting med. It has a half life of 3.5 hours, which means 3.5 hours after you take a pill it's ability to control pain has peaked and it is starting to decline, even though you can't take another pill for another 2.5 hours. The reason they don't use short acting meds to control serious chronic pain is because of the peaks and valleys.

Has your abdominal pain been diagnosed? It's rather unusual for a Dr. to keep someone of Vicodin for years as it's not a very strong pain med and once your body builds up tolerance to it, it's not going to work anymore.

You say you've seen your Family doc and the ER, what about your oncologist, what does he say about the Lung pain?

Kat

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-04-2012, 03:47 PM   #3
(female)

lciocco HB User

Yes I have had every workup in the book. They all say the pain is from my nerves over firing and there is nothing you can do but try and control the pain. So Im trying but its hard when you keep hitting brick walls.

Old 05-04-2012, 03:59 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User

Have you tried any of the meds made for that kind of pain? Neurontin, Neuroveen, Lyrica or Cymbalta? These are all meds made for Nerve pain. Have any of your Dr.'s mentioned them?

kat

Old 05-04-2012, 06:15 PM   #5
(female)

lciocco HB User

I guess I should have stated that I have tried several of the meds for this. Neuorotin and Cymbalta both plus at least one other that I cant remember. It seemed like maybe the Cymbalta worked for a while but then not. They even upped by dosage at it didnt help. So because it was so expensive I just had them take me off of it. I am however scheduled to see a rheumatologist in 2 weeks. Hopefully they can shed some light!

Reply Reply